Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/13/21 7:00 a.m.
feature_image

Is the next-gen Civic Type R still going to be a capable track machine? Honda seems determined to at least make it look that way, offering us images of further developing the new Type R–set to be introduced sometime in 2022–at Japan’s iconic Suzuka Circuit.

Honda remains pretty t…

Read the rest of the story

BA5
BA5 Reader
12/13/21 9:50 a.m.

If they gave it 3 seatbelts in the back, I might give up all my other projects and just start dailying/racing one of these.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
12/13/21 10:31 a.m.

What am I hoping for? Less ugly. Seems like they have already met and exceeded my expectations! Thank you Honda! That last gen car literally made my stomach hurt.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
12/13/21 1:25 p.m.

I do like the new, optional, hi-fi paint job, sign me up.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
12/13/21 4:45 p.m.

I need the new type R to depress prices of the old type R enough that I can get one in Phoenix Yellow.

Yes!  In that exact shade!

And I see some R34 in the front of that...

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
12/13/21 5:56 p.m.

Is it still a hatchback?  I don't see cut lines around the rear window.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/13/21 6:43 p.m.
jstein77 said:

Is it still a hatchback?  I don't see cut lines around the rear window.

They are calling it that but the 11th Gen Civic "hatchback" is more of a liftback than anything. 

I'm curious if Honda NA decides to do a Integra Type-S/Type-R if it'll be on the Civic Sedan or Liftback platform. 

Either way I'll be placing an order for one of these. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/15/21 11:50 a.m.

Looks better than the current one so that's a plus. Then again it would take real effort  to make something uglier than the current car.  Still too many doors.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
12/15/21 12:59 p.m.

It's not a pretty car by any means. I hate the 4-door liftback look. Looks terrible on BMWs, the Stinger, and this too. 

If it had a normal trunk deck but the whole thing lifted, I'd be ok with that. The Mazda 6 still looked like a traditional sedan even though it was a liftback. The Volkswagen Passat and Arteon too. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/15/21 2:03 p.m.

I'm sure they have got much better with FWD, but after my '10 Mazdaspeed 3 and it's insane torque steer, I can't get behind high HP FWD vehicles. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
12/15/21 3:26 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

I do like the new, optional, hi-fi paint job, sign me up.

I was just thinking that camo would probably sell as a limited edition or something. 

Don Fip
Don Fip New Reader
12/15/21 4:09 p.m.

I'm not hoping for much compared to the current gen:

• more of a distinctive exhaust note
  • bit more sidewall / smaller wheel size option
  • remove non-functional vents
  • and wishful thinking, no added dealer markup lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T5FJ8emQVq9f9F7L6m9X1sFimkwfTVIJML4iExhFL7DpvIiFWvZ87BMguUF2R9h1