1 2
Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/19/18 4:22 p.m.

I have actually gotten out of bed at 1:00 am and gone out to the shop to put a sticky note on a steering wheel to check whatever it was that popped into my head. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
9/19/18 4:26 p.m.

So, I'm NOT the only one!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/19/18 4:32 p.m.

That only works if you sleep. Sigh. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/19/18 4:38 p.m.

I have a list making app on my phone. I use it for just this purpose. Project car>check bolt. Don't even have to get out of bed since my phone is my alarm also. I have lists for all kinds of things - cars, home depot, travelling? Yep, list everything I need to pack and can refer to it when packing to come home to make sure I don't forget something.

My grocery list is amazing. Anything I have ever needed from the store is on it. I uncheck an item to move it to the top, and I use the "priority" feature to sort items by location in the store. All produce items have been set to high priority, so they are at the top (first section as I enter at the store), and frozen items have been set to the lowest priority (last section before checkout). All the stuff in the middle of the store is set to one of the middlin' priority levels. That way I see the next needed item as I am entering that section of the store. Once I grab an item I check it off, but it stays in the master list so I only have to enter an item once - from there it's just a matter of check/uncheck to move an item to the top for future shopping trips. If they're out of something it just stays unchecked on the list 'til next time. If I need inspiration for dinner, I just scroll through until I see something we haven't had in a while.

My phone is almost always in my pocket, so if I am cooking and use the last of something, I just stop and uncheck that item right then so I can't forget it. I didn't build it in one sitting, I just keep adding to it over time. It has changed my life!

may be OCD, but I am damn efficient.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/19/18 6:40 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

What ap do you use? I just make notes on my  phone(for everything you listed), but something like this sounds way better!

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
9/19/18 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Check out EverNote.  Syncs between your various devices.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/19/18 6:51 p.m.

I use ListMaster Pro It's free!  I tried Evernote. Me and the elephant didn't get along.

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
9/20/18 7:41 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I have a list making app on my phone. I use it for just this purpose. Project car>check bolt. Don't even have to get out of bed since my phone is my alarm also. I have lists for all kinds of things - cars, home depot, travelling? Yep, list everything I need to pack and can refer to it when packing to come home to make sure I don't forget something.

My grocery list is amazing. Anything I have ever needed from the store is on it. I uncheck an item to move it to the top, and I use the "priority" feature to sort items by location in the store. All produce items have been set to high priority, so they are at the top (first section as I enter at the store), and frozen items have been set to the lowest priority (last section before checkout). All the stuff in the middle of the store is set to one of the middlin' priority levels. That way I see the next needed item as I am entering that section of the store. Once I grab an item I check it off, but it stays in the master list so I only have to enter an item once - from there it's just a matter of check/uncheck to move an item to the top for future shopping trips. If they're out of something it just stays unchecked on the list 'til next time. If I need inspiration for dinner, I just scroll through until I see something we haven't had in a while.

My phone is almost always in my pocket, so if I am cooking and use the last of something, I just stop and uncheck that item right then so I can't forget it. I didn't build it in one sitting, I just keep adding to it over time. It has changed my life!

may be OCD, but I am damn efficient.

I love it! I bet you're a riot at the shopping mall.  Zero respect for people without a shopping agenda. :)

grover
grover HalfDork
9/20/18 7:49 a.m.

Are you an engineer? Just seems like what I expect an engineer to do. I’m unfortunately not this way. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/20/18 8:05 a.m.

Get in. Get it. Get out. That's my agenda. laugh

I am definitely wired like an engineer, but sadly no, not one.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/20/18 9:29 a.m.

"Alexa! Set a reminder for 7 am tomorrow to fix that nut behind the wheel!"

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/20/18 9:47 a.m.

I once did a record-time break swap on a friend's car. From pulling the car in to having it on the ground with new pads and rotors on all four corners and tools put away was less than an hour. Five minutes into the test drive, I put up a finger and said "WAIT." I had forgotten to do the final torque on the lug nuts. Fortunately it wasn't later that night, but I still have a very clear memory of that sudden alert that went off inside my head.

Fortunately we were able to pull off on a side street and torque everything down using the lug wrench in the car. They were mostly still snug and nothing fell off.

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
9/20/18 10:11 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Get in. Get it. Get out. That's my agenda. laugh

I am definitely wired like an engineer, but sadly no, not one.

My wife and I refer to that as commando shopping-- get in, achieve the objective, quickly exit the area of operations.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/20/18 10:15 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Same.

I use Evernote.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/20/18 10:58 a.m.

Thanks! The “Pro” version was $9.99 in the App Store so I d/led the free version for now. 

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
9/20/18 11:12 a.m.

before I had kids that would happen often enough for me to take down notes. now, nothing breaks through my need for moar slumber

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/20/18 11:21 a.m.

I wasn't able to find my version in the app store, but amazon has it for free for prime members. There is an app called listmaster in the app store, but it's different. Here's a screenshot, you can see the priority colors on the far left :

bluej
bluej UberDork
9/20/18 11:39 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I wasn't able to find my version in the app store, but amazon has it for free for prime members. There is an app called listmaster in the app store, but it's different. 

I'm intrigued by this.  thanks for sharing. I used to use a sticky note app but kind of reverted to my old habits of having sticky notes everywhere, including usually 2-3 in my pocket.

for the OP, there's a sticky pad and pen on my bedside table for just these occasions. or for when I get out of the shower in the morning, where I recalled the 7 things I need to re-prioritize for the morning. some days I really hate my brain..

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/20/18 2:56 p.m.
bluej said:
EastCoastMojo said:

I wasn't able to find my version in the app store, but amazon has it for free for prime members. There is an app called listmaster in the app store, but it's different. 

I'm intrigued by this.  thanks for sharing. I used to use a sticky note app but kind of reverted to my old habits of having sticky notes everywhere, including usually 2-3 in my pocket.

for the OP, there's a sticky pad and pen on my bedside table for just these occasions. or for when I get out of the shower in the morning, where I recalled the 7 things I need to re-prioritize for the morning. some days I really hate my brain..

Unfortunately the ap won’t work for me, at least not the grocery list. I have to keep it sorted relative to the location of items in the store or I’ll end up missing half the things on my list the first time through. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/20/18 3:12 p.m.

The cool thing with listmaster is you can change the sort style on the fly. When I am adding things, I usually have it sorted alphabetically, but when I am "acquiring the targets" so to speak, it is priority sort. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/20/18 7:04 p.m.

I don’t see any type of priority in the grocery list example of the free version, unfortunately. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/20/18 7:56 p.m.

Did you get the one from Amazon? The app store one is different. The link I posted above has the priority feature and should be free.

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
9/20/18 8:55 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I wasn't able to find my version in the app store, but amazon has it for free for prime members. There is an app called listmaster in the app store, but it's different. Here's a screenshot, you can see the priority colors on the far left :

Priorities in order....check.  (except for the canned mushrooms.)

bluej
bluej UberDork
9/20/18 9:24 p.m.

I just noticed the "All" item. For when ECM gets the munchies cheeky

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
9/20/18 9:50 p.m.

So do any of these list apps NOT spy on you and sell your shopping lists to advertisers?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vIcVObs1Sov2LL9Q36LdkPasI0xPwKqHhUnxv8xnjpRNwXcMp2k9ZTijvz94Awz0