1 2 3 4
codrus
codrus HalfDork
10/4/13 3:44 p.m.

The most entertaining street car (defined as a car with a plate on it) that I've ever driven is FM's turbo Westfield. As soon as finances/etc permit, I will be buying & building one. :)

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
10/4/13 3:51 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: The most entertaining street car, IMO, is a Lotus Exige S. I WILL own one in the future. Nothing better than an attractive rocket, with a Toyota motor, that can get damn near 30mpg! Has to be Aspen White, Black track pack wheels.
We are in 100% agreement on everything except color.

Chrome Orange? Krypton Green?

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/4/13 4:44 p.m.

See, I find the best cars on the street to be the scariest ones. My Taurus was an excellent example. It had a nasty habit of trying to start on fire, the whole front end was basically gone, it wallowed like a pig in corners, nothing except the AC worked (and holy E36 M3, did the AC work) and I was never sure I was going to make it anywhere, let alone alive. I always made sure my phone was charged when I left, and I had a grin on my face every time I came back.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
10/4/13 5:35 p.m.

My Dinan/Moton M3 is a hoot but I've never had more fun behind the wheel with my 2002 racecar. I run in SCCA and Vintage and I always smile when in it.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/4/13 9:23 p.m.

My '05 was by far the BEST all around car I have owned thus far. It wasnt really bad at anything, I still believe they are THE force to be reckoned with in Gstock, and well.....you didn't suffer the indignity of driving a cobalt.

Pricing is very grassroots right now, and a total of 6000 made over 4 years.

Out of the box the handling was pretty good, composure was great, and the brakes were fantastic.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/4/13 9:37 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: The most entertaining street car, IMO, is a Lotus Exige S. I WILL own one in the future. Nothing better than an attractive rocket, with a Toyota motor, that can get damn near 30mpg! Has to be Aspen White, Black track pack wheels.

But it is red and that is no Toyota

aussiesmg wrote: I love this, it is a hoot  photo 2013-08-03_17-37-14_672_zps96815607.jpg 309hp at the wheels and 2600lb, it is quick

photo 2013-09-11_08-36-18_604_zps03b82686.jpg

rambler68
rambler68 New Reader
10/4/13 10:00 p.m.

Geez, nobody's mentioned rental cars yet?

FranktheTank
FranktheTank HalfDork
10/4/13 10:03 p.m.

Hudson Nash Metropolitan. You can't drive it in a bad mood because it's a car show and a line of people everywhere you go....

If I want to make some noise and have a ball I'll be found in a big block Ford.

I miss my Mazda Protege' just something about a beat up car on oversized Ice Racing tires.... Most fun car I've ever had. I jumped snow banks... Went through creeks and fields, ruined the E brake. Off roaded. That car was a total POS and I loved it. My wife now was my gf back then and she preferred driving it to work. We took it mudding then drove it to Nashville and got valet parking the next week 28mpg before I sold it to buy the Met. I will have another.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/4/13 10:32 p.m.

I would have to go with cheap, gutless little thing you can flog. Heck, I just got ticketed running an appliance through the twisties.....I certainly don't need a car with power on the street.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/5/13 6:44 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Yep... all of my speeding tickets have been with me driving a 3200 lb diesel station wagon with 90 hp... and stock suspensions...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/5/13 8:48 a.m.

Want to give me a ticket? Catch me bitches.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/5/13 9:08 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Want to give me a ticket? Catch me bitches.

I'd imagine that must be a berkeleying blast to drive.

I wants one, or a LS Z car.

No time to build tho.

great build

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
10/5/13 11:08 a.m.

1967 Mini-Cooper S. An absolute blast to drive. Also my 1971 1275 MG Midget. Both cars were hotted up as basically race cars on the street. My modified 1980 Triumph TR8 is a lot of fun, much more powerful than the Cooper but not as tossable. Also remember my 1987 Dodge Shelby GLHS very fondly. Should have never sold that car.

sanman
sanman Reader
10/5/13 11:12 a.m.
rambler68 wrote: Geez, nobody's mentioned rental cars yet?

That was going to be my answer. I recall a particularly fun time doing donuts in the parking lot of an apt complex in a rental '09 mustang v6 until my friend puked in the passenger seat. The best part was knowing he had not puked in a car I actually owned. That smell just stays in there.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
10/5/13 9:23 p.m.

I think the fiat abarth might fit in? Kinda small but kinda tall, probably makes driving feel much more exciting. Decent tires, but not super wide. They sound phenomenal, I heard one giving it the beans go by earlier and it really has a great exhaust note.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
10/5/13 11:12 p.m.

Lets get real entertaining!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/5/13 11:28 p.m.
JohnnyBquick wrote: Lets get real entertaining!

I saw one of your earlier threads where you talked about buying a mosler. Interesting cars....I've only seen one, IRL. It was this one down near sebring.

carbon
carbon Reader
10/6/13 12:55 a.m.

I always have fun in the fj40, it just somehow makes every ride an adventure. I want a caterham 620r too though.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
10/6/13 2:16 a.m.

What do I win?

carbon
carbon Reader
10/6/13 2:28 a.m.

For me it's always a internal struggle to not go 10/10ths. So when the rare opportunity comes that I can enjoy a vehicle at all speeds, it's really a special thing for me because I can stop worrying about going to jail and just enjoy the ride.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
10/6/13 5:26 a.m.

My Suzuki Samurai with a spring-over lift, 33" Super Swampers with cut fenders, no doors, no tailgate, no roof, windshield folded down.

I would've driven that thing cross-country. Trips to the Cape were more than fun and in good weather it was acceptable to get stuck in traffic.

I could have one hand on the wheel and touch the rear tires' knobbies with the other.

Most entertaining thing ive ever owned! Especially when I could crawl up and over those boulders set up to keep trucks out of the power lines then drive 2 hours back home. (Come on, I was young!)

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/6/13 6:58 a.m.
carbon wrote: For me it's always a internal struggle to not go 10/10ths. So when the rare opportunity comes that I can enjoy a vehicle at all speeds, it's really a special thing for me because I can stop worrying about going to jail and just enjoy the ride.

As mentioned before, this is "it" for me in a nutshell. Back when the ex-g/f had a '97 M3, I was able to drive it a few times without "adult supervision". Let's face it, on the street at legal (or even a bit extra-legal) speeds, the car is kinda boring. It's capabilities are such that you are deep into "lose license" territory should you get caught... or "lose life" if something should go wrong. This one was of the reasons she sold if after buying her '03 MCS.

TBH, an E-Type wouldn't be much different after the novelty of driving an E-Type wore off. Then it would simply be a matter of driving another high-powered sports car a 5/10ths.

So far, I think a Classic Mini is winning with 3 votes.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Reader
10/6/13 7:05 a.m.

I would say my favorite street car was the fox body mustang I had. V8 power to make it interesting, Burn outs on demand, handled well enough once I met Paul Brown, and looked good. The only problem I had was a red mustang with kinda loud exhaust attracted a lot of attention from the wrong people.

A close second would be the GT2560 equipped miata I had. That little sucker was always in boost. Very tossable, Great throttle response, and enough horsepower to not overwhelm the chassis. Really a fun car to drive.

I also really enjoyed the DA9 Integra GSR. Stock it was really fun to toss around. Low maintenance and just loved to be wound out.

Ian, What you say about the M3 is the exact reason I'm selling my MR2 Turbo. The limits are so high on it even in a stock form that really it's kind of boring to drive at anything other than get a ticket speeds.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/6/13 7:38 a.m.

Beaters always win as most fun. Manual trans beater Hondas are awesome.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
10/6/13 11:09 a.m.

As much as I love my EF Civic Si

the ultimate fun I have had was driving an Elise in Krypton Green....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U9pLbxsKgmuJpLflppuiiXYh0efWD7qUSilrjFSVPSnhph8dIBr73Kz1MgJh1yau