Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
2/19/15 8:13 a.m.

I started up both MR2's last night since they had been sitting at least 1-2 weeks. The white one that I bought back recently has been outside in below zero temps & really surprised me to start on the first try.

While the SC was running in the garage, I could see the Check Engine light came on a few minutes into warming up. Since it's pre-ODBII I can't plug my trusty module in and diagnose by Torque.

Any idea the most likely cause? I'm guessing O2 sensor or something.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/19/15 8:17 a.m.

How much money have you spent on it lately? If the amount drops too low, that light will come on.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
2/19/15 8:21 a.m.

Try this to see what the actual code is.

http://mr2wiki.com/MKI/ReadingEngineCodes

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/19/15 8:24 a.m.

Since it came on a couple of minutes after warming up, it probably is the O2 sensor - or something causing a bad AFR condition (but you probably would have noticed that).

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
2/19/15 8:31 a.m.

there was a short time that i ran my 87 mr2 without the o2 sensor, anytime the engine sat at a constant rpm (idle or highway cruising) the check engine light would come on. i could just give it a little throttle so the rpm would change some and the light would go away a few seconds later. maybe try driving it and see if it goes away, if so i would say o2

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
2/19/15 9:14 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Not much at all lately. bought the short shifter in December, have yet to put it in. Hopefully new wheels here shortly, maybe that will cheer it up?

I haven't actually driven it in at least a month. Hoping I can rectify that Sunday a little.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/19/15 9:31 a.m.

Ask the car. It knows.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/19/15 9:34 a.m.

Yeah, pull the codes.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
2/19/15 10:44 a.m.

time to get yourself a BGB (MR2 speak for factory service manual) and check codes

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/19/15 2:52 p.m.

As an auto tech, the title of this thread made my face twitch a little.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/19/15 3:07 p.m.
Vigo wrote: As an auto tech, the title of this thread made my face twitch a little.

Ahh, Yessir, I'd say that most likely the problem is ...uh...your engine.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/19/15 3:22 p.m.

Yeah, OBD I should be able to 'flash' the code. I'm guessing you have the early car, if so this page has info on how to get codes and what they mean: http://www.challoner.com/mr2/tech/diagnostics.html One code that's weird is '10', starter signal. It can be set by push starting the car!

Hell, even my 'no-BD' ECM for the 13BT in the Jensenator will flash codes. Just have to connect two LED's and supply voltage for them, the ECM will do the rest. I even put them in a box and engraved the code numbers on it, that way if something goes awry I don't have to have a manual to know what to go look at. Caution: do NOT use bulbs unless it's real clear the ECM can handle the draw!

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
2/19/15 8:40 p.m.

Are you sure the check engine light isn't broken?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yGB642ShxyBmzvMolAS0Y0R1scLnzSzLWoQJpCRAlyfQnEbrxBvuGwqwlyGUQukS