jonboring
jonboring New Reader
9/25/23 11:51 a.m.

We mounted two 245/40's on 8" Porsche Cayman rims and it took hours for each wheel.  We couldn't get 1 on and had to send it back and get a replacement. The replacement went on but it still took hours.  The rears were 275/35's and we mounted on 9" Porsche Cayman wheels. They went on much easier but still took a lot longer than regular tires. 

Has anyone experienced mounting issues with the RE-71RS?  

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
9/25/23 12:00 p.m.

Yep it's a thing. Make sure they're nice and hot. Do everything you can to keep the last of the front bead from tucking in on itself and hope you have enough air. There's no easy button for that size namely on that wheel. 

jonboring
jonboring New Reader
9/25/23 12:11 p.m.

What about mounting the 255/35's on a 9" rim and 275/35's on a 10" wheel? 

If you drop a size, do they go on easier? 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/25/23 12:46 p.m.

I used to run 275/35r18 on the G35. I have had the tire machine snatch a wheel out of the clamps and try to throw it across the shop while mounting those stiff ass tires. 

They can be a nightmare even with helper arms and extra people.

The set I mounted on Miata wheels this weekend for a friend took two people working the machine plus the helper arms to make the bead drop into the wheel properly and not tear. Then it took 70 psi to get the beads to seat. 

It's the nature of the beast. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/25/23 1:10 p.m.

35 series = the devils work.

JMcD
JMcD New Reader
9/26/23 11:38 a.m.

Wheel design matters quite a bit too, but unless you have an easy wheel and a non-pinched fitment with a decent sized sidewall, they're a pain.

a few other tips/tricks:

- thick lube and lots of it to help seal the small leaks when seating the bead. Beadbuster tractor tire lube works. It can result in the tire moving on the rim, so rebalancing later might be required

- high flow fill straight from the compressor tank with a high flow air chuck. Obviously have to be careful you don't over inflate 

- mounting/dismounting the tire a couple times can also help it seat

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/26/23 12:40 p.m.

Oh yeah Bridgestones are awful. Dave Whitworth at SPS charges an extra $20 per tire at events to mount them, and IMO he's being too kind.

as mentioned before, the best luck I've had is with heat (mounting them in a 90 degree shop in Florida in the summer after leaving them in the sun for a couple hours helps), obscene amount of thick lube (you want something that will stay in place and not evaporate quickly), and terrifying amounts of pressure. 

The good news is the second time around they mount like regular tires. So I recommend maybe mounting them the second time the first time you do it. Haven't quite worked out the logistics on that one yet, though.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/26/23 3:01 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

So, basically this:

Our Preferred Partners
TD8inE4dXSGQqAB5k0MMMfqW0Oxp10dlUMwLdXl4JGuuk04TvrqA1iBSXEckf6DS