carguy123
carguy123 Dork
11/9/09 10:06 a.m.

I don't know about you, but I think I'd rather go here than to Disney World

http://www.insideline.com/ferrari/ferrari-world-theme-park-almost-ready-for-opening-in-abu-dhabi.html

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
11/9/09 10:21 a.m.

Isn't that the new world headquarters for the "V"?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
11/9/09 10:37 a.m.

Was this a joke a few Italian developers told to the people of Abu Dhabi and they just didn't get it? You have to think at some point there was a guy in the franchising office at Ferrari with his hand over the phone mic yelling to the rest of the office "You guys are not going to believe what those silly bastards are doing".

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
11/9/09 11:57 a.m.

worlds fastest roller coaster? Meh...put a huge road course under that 'tarded scorpion looking thing and then you night have something....road course under roof? racing all year with no snow/rain etc to worry about...I'll woot to that

FindlaySpeedMan
FindlaySpeedMan New Reader
11/9/09 12:00 p.m.

Just goes to show that tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of oil money will pay for some really neat E36 M3.

Yeah, Disney for the lose.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/9/09 2:10 p.m.

They don't worry much about rain or snow. It's in the desert.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/9/09 4:40 p.m.
cwh wrote: They don't worry much about rain or snow. It's in the desert.

Protection from sun damage?

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
11/9/09 7:48 p.m.
cwh wrote: They don't worry much about rain or snow. It's in the desert.

Yes it does at the indoor Ski slope over there

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
11/9/09 7:56 p.m.
Protection from sun damage?

It's inside! Over 1,000,000 sq feet of interior!

11/9/09 8:16 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: worlds fastest roller coaster? Meh...put a huge road course under that 'tarded scorpion looking thing and then you night have something....road course under roof? racing all year with no snow/rain etc to worry about...I'll woot to that

Its right next to ... a kart track and two road courses or one Formula One circuit. The roof is because its 130F there.

alex
alex Dork
11/9/09 8:44 p.m.

This might be one of those things you have to see just to tell your grandkids. It seems to me that we're on the tail end of this kind of conspicuous excess being displayed by (a) car manufacurers, or (b) oil money. And it has been pretty well predicted that the real estate market is drying up in the mideast - I imagine something like this will be the first to go. Hell, go see it now, then go back in 25 years when it's a Ferrari-themed ghost town in the desert, half covered in sand.

World's fastest blah blah blah, biggest blah on Earth, walk through the engine of a blah blah blah...

End of an era.

11/9/09 9:00 p.m.

I find it difficult to believe that Ferrari went for it - they have guarded their image with ruthless legal pursuits and strongarm tactics so they can be that sought-after trophy to billionaires. Ya don't see a lot of billionaires walking around in Mickey Mouse sweatshirts (well, maybe Disney shareholders...) and I don't expect too many will be thrilled to wait on-line for the Kimi Ride-kkonen coaster.

What tri-gob-a-jillionairre would want their poseur car of choice from a company that is a caricature of its former self?

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
11/9/09 9:01 p.m.
alex wrote: ...go back in 25 years when it's a Ferrari-themed ghost town in the desert, half covered in sand.

Ultimate set to film Mad Max XXXIIV !

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/9/09 9:48 p.m.

I was just watching something the other day talking about how like 70% of the major construction projects in UAE are either cancelled or on hold at the moment, since oil prices dropped not as much cash (relative, of course), and the real estate market has completely crashed (perhaps they finally realized that nobody actually wants to LIVE or WORK in that E36 M3 hole known as the Persian Gulf)

captainzib
captainzib Reader
11/9/09 10:04 p.m.

I'm goin to Dubai for winter break. Hopefully this place will be within the family budget.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
11/9/09 10:37 p.m.

Well if your family lives in the White House you can afford it.

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
11/9/09 10:53 p.m.
FindlaySpeedMan wrote: Just goes to show that tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of oil money will pay for some really neat E36 M3. Yeah, Disney for the lose.

All that oil money came from us, the consumers. Free admission is the least one could expect.

NOT.............

captainzib
captainzib Reader
11/9/09 10:59 p.m.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost certain the UAE has no oil. They did this all with money from real estate sales and investors. Contrary to Irish's belief, that area is pretty much a tropical paradise, albeit a man made one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rQhBvzSTApisrALsMeYgDoZM3p4SCDpFN542kR9z0qsiVnK0H5Yfzv4vcRtROB4j