5 6 7
yupididit
yupididit UberDork
1/8/20 4:40 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I think that would be a success here in the states. Especially if it can be had for under 27k

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/8/20 5:59 p.m.

And if there's a company to be open and honest about their EVs abilities, it'd be Mazda- They kinda surprised everyone with this because in the past they simply said they had sunk so much into Skyactiv that their company couldn't afford to jump on a battery technology that didn't pan out 5-10 years down the line.

If the range is 130 miles like I hope, Mazda could also hedge their bets on it's quicker charge times simply based on it's physical size. If it's under 27K, that's a new EV for someone on the equivalent of ~20K total which could be a great second car for most people.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/8/20 6:10 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
infinitenexus said:

So let's ignore bozos that can't seem to realize they've been factually proven wrong in almost every argument and get back to the subject at hand, shall we?

What left me scratching my head a bit was the performance stats of this car.  More than 500 horsepower but a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds, which honestly seems pretty slow for an AWD EV with that much power.  I read it weighs 5180lbs so that's likely the culprit.  I don't think Sony was hugely concerned about performance, though.  It seems Sony released this car to showcase their technologies - 360 degree audio and 33 seperate sensors, including lidar, radar, and cameras.  Sony did say that this platform was newly-developed and is adaptable to coupe, sedan, and SUV (of course) body types.  So maybe Sony won't put this car into production but the platform itself will go into production?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30429376/sony-vision-s-concept-revealed/

Honestly what I'm waiting for is the 1993 Honda Civic of EVs.  A compact car with a 200 mile range, acceptable performance, and a base price that's cheap enough to undercut everyone else and really make it a viable option for us on the lower end of the paycheck scale.

The Mazda MX-30 is 'kinda' close to that ideal, though I think (this might be EU rated, not EPA) it's 130 miles and it requires it to be priced similar to the current CX-30.

Did sony show the individual parts of this car, like the 360-sound system and such at the show? Or was it just the car itself? I'm having a hard time finding if they had anything like a booth to display each specific part.

infinitenexus said:

Pretty interesting question.  I wonder if that would lead to complaints of violations of user privacy?

If it still took info but you had disallowed it, yes. But knowing today's companies- and our laughable protections- they would sneak in some ELUA in a game or console and attempt to claim it's for the car as well for "expediency".

So, kinda like the sniffers up in the headliners. Is there a way to disable those?

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
1/8/20 6:54 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I'd buy it if I was looking to get a dd with a warranty. My commute is about 10 miles a day. If they could fit two of those motors in the cx9 that would be awesome too.

Also, an e-mx5 anyone!

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/8/20 8:11 p.m.
yupididit said:

Also, an e-mx5 anyone!

That would be the killer app for me.  Or something like a first gen Insight in size and shape.

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aas2MKf5eUCuJ0BjEqdUGhOXFjXZk6JfyTA5oMtleagJ13hUIyTAYrqGoMqo2xhx