NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
2/8/13 12:31 p.m.

I'm moving to Stockholm in July and I'm looking to purchase a car that I can't get in the US and I need some ideas.

I will be living in the city, so I will be buying the car just for enjoyment. People I've talked to have purchased cars in Germany and driven them back over to Sweden.

Trying to keep the price around 6-8k euro. Does anyone know of a good interweb site for this? I have been looking on ebay.de and a car auction site in Sweden.

Thoughts?

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
2/8/13 12:34 p.m.

Are you sure you've considered all costs involved in owning a car in a city like Stockholm? Parking, insurance, tag, etc etc? I've been to places nearby and I know it's not as cheap as it is in the USA (outside of NYC or a few spots like that).

Are you sure you even want to deal with a car in a city like that?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/8/13 12:40 p.m.

Don't forget that Sweden has very high taxes on cars and IIRC that might also include cheapish used cars.

What I would do is import one of the funky Japanese cars that we don't get over here from the UK (not Germany). Used cars in general tend to be cheaper in the UK than in Germany, plus unless you are fluent in German, there is a language barrier that's not as easily overcome even if most people speak conversational English.

Driving a RHD car on the "wrong" side of the road really isn't that hard to get used to.

Heck, I've lived in English-speaking countries for over 15 years now and I still blank on technical terms regarding cars occasionally.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/8/13 12:41 p.m.

What kind of intended use - weekend cruiser, track toy, autocross/competition, grocery-getter? Any particular preferences, rwd, coupe, convertible, 2-seat, 4-seat. How old - newish vs vintage? Load us up on info - we'll give you lots of opinions/options. Some starter thoughts:

Lancia delta integrale, sierra cosworth and all sorts of ford variations that we didn't get here. If you were thinking commuter - I'd say look at all the diesels. For a fun car, not so much. Taxes, insurance or other displacement rules coming into play?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/8/13 12:44 p.m.

I would find one there that you can't get ere and send it back.

NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
2/8/13 12:45 p.m.

My parking spot is going to be paid for and the insurance and tags aren't as bad as you would think.

I'm looking for a Nissan R32/R33. There seem to be a lot of them in Germany.

Winston
Winston Reader
2/8/13 12:56 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I would find one there that you can't get ere and send it back.

I'll second this. Buy something 25 years old or older (1988 or before) so that you can bring it back when you're done overseas... assuming that you plan on coming back. The Delta Integrale is a cool suggestion.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/8/13 12:57 p.m.
NVHEngr wrote: My parking spot is going to be paid for and the insurance and tags aren't as bad as you would think. I'm looking for a Nissan R32/R33. There seem to be a lot of them in Germany.

Buy them in the UK. They're cheaper there and you have a better choice. That's what the Germans do .

NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
2/8/13 1:00 p.m.

Take the taxes and all that jazz out of the equation.

I will be walking to work, so the car will be for runs when I need to leave the city for some reason. I would love to track/autocross the car. I would like it to be newer - it's a 13+ hour drive from Germany to Stockholm. It can be 2wd or 4wd. Would like a hard top, but I would buy the right convertible if it came along. I owned a Miata in the States and loved it. I'm not picky - just want something that's fun to drive.

I basically want something fun that I can't have in the US. I'm currently in Senegal and they really don't have any good cars besides the crap the French left behind.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/8/13 1:07 p.m.

Focus RS, Delta Integrale, R32 GTS-T or GT-R, Astra VXR all come to mind pretty quick!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
2/8/13 1:08 p.m.

Brooklands Capri 280, they kept making them for the UK RHD market even after stopping selling them on th econtinent.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/8/13 1:11 p.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/8/13 1:12 p.m.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
2/8/13 1:25 p.m.

Yeah, a mk3 Capri of some sort would be nice. I don't know about a Brooklands although it wouldn't be a bad option. Laser 2.0 maybe?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/8/13 1:30 p.m.
NVHEngr wrote: My parking spot is going to be paid for and the insurance and tags aren't as bad as you would think. I'm looking for a Nissan R32/R33. There seem to be a lot of them in Germany.

GtR off Gts-t?

Raze
Raze SuperDork
2/8/13 1:45 p.m.

Sierra RS Cosworth 4×4

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
2/8/13 1:48 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Brooklands Capri 280, they kept making them for the UK RHD market even after stopping selling them on th econtinent.

Gorgeous.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
2/8/13 1:58 p.m.
Woody wrote:

HOw could I forget about that, the spiritual predecessor to my C30, D'oh

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
2/8/13 2:26 p.m.

I think you're already on the right track with an R33.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/8/13 2:48 p.m.

Obligatory hotlinked reference.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/8/13 4:48 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Woody wrote:
HOw could I forget about that, the spiritual predecessor to my C30, D'oh

Yes, D'oh.

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
2/8/13 4:50 p.m.

Dacia Sandero

NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
2/11/13 6:03 a.m.

Hopefully I will end up with something like this.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r33/nissan-skyline-gts-t-2-5i-turbo/277484

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xNthkZBtd7Bp9votPhZRQ693VXrmbQyVPZUFiUwrijkMOERmfVqkE6Y1FP8fQjme