1 2
airwerks
airwerks Reader
3/25/15 4:34 p.m.
AClockworkGarage wrote: On a side note. I am a competitive carbine shooter. I have a 922r compliant WASR-10. Is something like that legal in washington or would I be better off selling it here before I move?

You will just be one of the Many. Oregon and Washington are pretty gun tolerant.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
3/25/15 4:41 p.m.
AClockworkGarage wrote: On a side note. I am a competitive carbine shooter. I have a 922r compliant WASR-10. Is something like that legal in washington or would I be better off selling it here before I move?

a 922r WASR is fine (I do believe you can hunt with it as well), full auto is not.

No magazine restrictions that I know of, and silencers are legal here. CCL is "shall issue", but i-594 will require you to go to an FFL for person-to-person transfers of firearm ownership. Open carry is legal.

D2W
D2W New Reader
3/25/15 5:27 p.m.

I live on the east side of the state. More sunshine, hotter summers, colder winters, way less people. I would blow my brains out if I had to commute in the Seattle area. The politicians are trying to turn us into California but other than that it is pretty good. Lots of great driving once you get out of the metro west.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/25/15 7:24 p.m.
AClockworkGarage wrote: So you're saying it's basically an awful place full of hipsters?

Buy stock in skinny jeans and ironic slogan tshirts

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/25/15 7:36 p.m.

The beer is E36 M3 too..

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/25/15 8:08 p.m.

Sorry for you troubles but now you get a do over! New job, new place, new coast and a new life. Good luck!

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage New Reader
3/26/15 2:03 a.m.

That's the Idea. now we'll just see if I can make it work.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/26/15 6:11 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: On the rain subject: It is grey here a lot, but the sunny days are the best you'll find anwyhere in the world (trust me, I've looked). By "rain" they really mean "mist" which is barely enough to make the roads wet. Some people do respond poorly to it (depression, etc). It is possible that MS is common here because of the lack of vitamin D (due to lack of sun).

I've read that people do have a mental condition that makes them sad or down when it's cloudy or rainy, that's why people regularly say that rain is "bad" weather. I don't experience this at all. I like cloudy and rainy weather, it balances out the hot and cold weather where I live, at least.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/26/15 6:54 a.m.

Hmm this interests me, ive been planning a move from the deep south to the pnw, I was always under the impression it rains constantly until I found the annual precipitation is 10in less than mississippi. So it's just a ploy or is it really constantly cloudy? Id hate to get out there just to wind up as another kurt cobain

Fueled by Caffeine
3/26/15 7:53 a.m.
chiodos wrote: Hmm this interests me, ive been planning a move from the deep south to the pnw, I was always under the impression it rains constantly until I found the annual precipitation is 10in less than mississippi. So it's just a ploy or is it really constantly cloudy? Id hate to get out there just to wind up as another kurt cobain

The weather is similar to Buffalo NY. Large blocks of clouds with some sun breaks during the winter. The summer is amazing and wonderful.. 80's with sun forever and no humidity. I don't find the weather that bad, just learn to deal with it. IF you want to hike, learn to hike in the rain. If you want to garden, learn to garden in the rain. The big difference is that the rain here is more a misty-drizzle("mizzle") and dosen't really slow anyone down. Rarely does it heavily rain here. But it never snows and you see 50 degreee day temps in December Jan and Feb. So... It's OK. If you need sun, drive over the mountains and its available easy.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
3/26/15 8:07 a.m.

Really, it's cloudy a lot. The "rain" isn't "rain" all the time, in fact most of the time it's just "mist" and barely makes the roads wet. It does "rain" but not as often as you're led to believe. The problem with comparing "annual rain fall" is that in Mississippi it stinking RAINS while here it's just "barely wet".

We once had a streak of 100+ rainy days (from about mid-feb to May) back in 1998-ish and the PNW ran out of Prozac. So it is an issue for some people but generally I think those types of people would pop pills regardless of the weather.

I will say that I've never met anyone who was having an issue with depression because of the weather, but I hear it does happen (but then again I've heard magnets on my fuel lines will net me better MPGs). Usually we just don't let a little precipitation stop us from doing the stuff we want to do and all is good.

When the sun is out we tend to make it a point to be outside. This is something I never noticed I did until I moved to Texas and realized I'd been outside, but doing nothing, for 2-weeks (seriously).

On subject: I've yet to attend an autocross event, but they're out there. There's also a crap-ton of car shows/events in my area (Tacoma). The LeMay has a "cruise in" once a month, and Griots has "caffine and gasoline". Add those in to the various car clubs who always seem to be out "cruising" and more classics than you can shake a stick at, and you'll always have something car-related to do.

(Caffeine beat me to the post)

Fueled by Caffeine
3/26/15 8:55 a.m.

Think of it like this. If all the folks in Minnesota sat around complaining about winter, they'd never get anything done. So up here we just stop making excuses and get on with it. I've seen guys out sailing their dinghy's in 20mph wind and driving rain. In the pnw weather don't stop E36 M3.

Also bill is right. When it's nice out its beautiful. Stop what you are doing and enjoy.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/26/15 11:34 a.m.

Sounds like an awesome place, I enjoy the snow but seems it may snow more in Mississippi than Washington. I guess depending on what side of the state your on? I guess I need to go out there to find out but it sounds like a really lovely place

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
3/26/15 11:46 a.m.

It seems almost all of the REPUs ended up there, Oregon and California.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/26/15 11:49 a.m.

If you want snow, real mountains are but a short drive away. I've played in the snow on my birthday in August by driving up to Mt. Ranier. And we're talking real mountains, not that east coast Appalacian Bumps nonesense.

If you're in Tacoma and have never autocrossed, drive down HWY 16 from Tacoma toward Bremerton and run with the Bremerton Sports Car Club at Bremerton Raceways. It's an airport track and the straights can be long, but the course is often technically quite challenging. They have a large number of SCCA national champions in the club so it's always a good day to learn something.

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
3/26/15 12:00 p.m.

It is a beautiful place, I lived in Seattle for 15 years, just moved to the bay area 2 years ago. The cloudiness is for real and it rains almost every day for 9 months. Seriously. You can say it's only a mist, or sprinkle, that's true.

I did my diving certification there, dry suit is required unless you're insane. I wouldn't get back in that water for anything. People do dive, but it is so unpleasant I can't understand why. When you have to do your mask clearing routines and let in water, a lot of people freak out and go to the surface.

Housing prices and traffic. Haha! All in perspective. I am back up there for work very often and while there is traffic, it's a joke compared to here. Housing prices are about half of what it is here.

The summers seem nice, but only because the other 9 months of the year are so dreary. "80 degrees, dry and sunny" is true, those two or three months are fantastic. Hiking and mountain climbing there is amazing, seriously, the place is beautiful. Mountains are only an hour away from the city if you're into winter sports.

Hipsters exist everywhere that's cool to live, Seattle being one of those places. Great diversity and plenty of stuff to do, the car culture is solid, no rust to speak of because it really doesn't snow much there. The overall culture is very progressive, very left leaning, but not as bad as Portland.

I would also mention the "Seattle freeze", it takes a while to really make good friends there. Maybe it's the weather that makes people closed off, I don't know. Everyone is very nice and extremely polite at the surface level, but it takes a while to build a good network of friends there.

In a nutshell, Seattle is perfect aside from the weather, assuming you're ok with the culture.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/26/15 12:36 p.m.

Yall got me anxious to move now. I think maybe find some quaint town outside the city so I have the best of both worlds. Oh this is a big one for me, how are other drivers? Do the majority seem competent enough to be trusted behind the wheel? I cant seem to get away from TERRIBLE drivers. Sorry if im taking away from the op's thread mojo hope you dont mind I just dont know where else to ask these questions

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
3/26/15 1:02 p.m.

I haven't attended any autox's yet, but one downside is that nobody runs public events on the east side of Puget Sound...You know, where almost all of the people and cars are. I think Boeing has their own sports car club that runs a few, but you have to be an employee. From Seattle, your options are drive around to the other side of the sound (1+hr), pay to take a ferry across the sound (1+hr), drive to BC (2+hr), or drive down to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the state (Packwood) with no direct path to get there (2+hr). So definitely not the most autox accessible big city I've lived in.

If you want to get away from terrible drivers, this is NOT the place for you. My wife and I both sorely miss Chicago drivers! Natural occurrences that create problems for drivers here are snow, rain, drizzle, dampness, fog, haze, and sunshine. Due to the hilly terrain, ice pretty much just shuts things down. Then add in all of the people who clog our lane-limited main arteries at 5-10 under the speed limit for no apparent reason...And that's on the good days! Suffice to say, some stereotypes exist for a reason.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
3/26/15 1:36 p.m.

Days like today are why I moved back (taken at work 'round about 8am)

It's hard out here for a pimp.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/26/15 1:41 p.m.

Well according to the data, im coming from some of the worse drivers in America (previously lived in new orleans which if you know is probably the worse there is) so maybe its not SO bad? But it sure looks pretty out there though. Maybe if I stick to somewhere more rural it wont be so bad

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
3/26/15 2:17 p.m.

Also, when looking for a place to live, don't be surprised if most don't have air conditioning.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/26/15 2:45 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Also, when looking for a place to live, don't be surprised if most don't have air conditioning.

Oh, good point. I didn't even have a car with air condtioning until the SVT Contour I bought new and moved to Baltimore in. Never really needed it.

And housing prices aren't too bad outside the I5 corridor. From Tacoma to Olympia, over to Bremerton and the Belfair/Allyn/Shelton area, you can still find good deals. And you're close to car guy stuff. Seattle, Bellevue, Renton, up to Everett and over to Bainbridge Island are all Seattle commute centers and as such, pricy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gV1odz0JLmXQ1I9YrBGyU6LJfsfdcwqAcDDSZZ0hPZ9EuaB5ElSR5eZQQdngz21a