1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
5/10/11 1:08 p.m.

Ford is building a new V6 Mustang performance package called the "Mayhem". Take V6 Coupe and add:

• 255/40/19 summer tires on 19x8's
  • Shorter/stiffer springs
  • GT front sway bar
  • SVT rear sway bar
  • GT front and rear calipers w/Performance Friction pads
  • 3.31 LSD rear axle
  • Strut tower brace

Priced at $1,995. Added to the V6 base Coupe and destination is $24,990.

How is this not the absolute performnce sport coupe bargain of the century? 6-speed manual, 4 real seats, 300+HP, RWD, and under $25K out the door.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
5/10/11 1:12 p.m.

I can't believe there are Mustang variants that I actually want these days.

In other news, what the hell is up with giant wheels? Did wheels and tires suddenly become too affordable at their more normal sizes?

LJD
LJD New Reader
5/10/11 1:35 p.m.

I've hated Mustangs since I learned how to hate stuff ... but this really is one heck of a good deal.

pres589
pres589 Dork
5/10/11 1:39 p.m.

I think I'd just do it myself and keep the stock wheels, whatever way to get 17" wheels out the door, probably come out cheaper and with a wheel/tire package I'd prefer.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/10/11 1:41 p.m.

Those upgrades would cost the consumer at least 4 or 5 grand if bought separate of the car. Seems like a great deal to me. :D

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
5/10/11 1:41 p.m.

I hate wheel creep. Why do manufacturers insist that I want 18" or more at each corner?

Regardless, this is a killer deal. If it weren't more than 2 times the cost of my new Mazda2, I'd regret my recent purchase. (edit- I'll buy lunch for the first guy that actually gets their car for under 25k...Ford has earned a reputation with me for dealer markups.)

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
5/10/11 1:42 p.m.

Yeah, I agree it's a bargain, but I have no want for 19" tires/wheels. One would have to crunch numbers, but instead of doing it yourself, it might make sense to get the package and sell the tires and wheels to buy whatever it is you want.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 1:44 p.m.

Don't push them or they will do this!

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 1:47 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I hate wheel creep. Why do manufacturers insist that I want 18" or more at each corner? Regardless, this is a killer deal. If it weren't more than 2 times the cost of my new Mazda2, I'd regret my recent purchase. (edit- I'll buy lunch for the first guy that actually gets their car for under 25k...Ford has earned a reputation with me for dealer markups.)

Don't knock the wheel stuff, Tom. I know you have been to SEMA. I was there in 2006 when a few of the manufacturers caused a dress code to be enforced for 2007.

Anyway, I have 2 words for you Focus Group.

failboat
failboat Reader
5/10/11 1:53 p.m.

so....whats the difference between this and the currently offered performance package?

It sounds like its just a new name for the same package thats been available.

Good luck finding any V6's on the lot with just this package. All the ones ive been able to find locally all are optioned up (driving the price up thousands.....) and dont have the performance package.

I think the only way we know it exists is because you can order it. I want one of these for a DD pretty badly.

rotard
rotard New Reader
5/10/11 1:55 p.m.

I think I'd pony up (heh) the extra cash for a base GT. ENCS had them for sale over here for around $28k, if I remember correctly.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 1:56 p.m.

Nothing, they had a contest for a new name, that's all

Order it, get what you want.

Like the old Heinz ketchup commercial.

"It's worth the wait."

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
5/10/11 1:58 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

Order it. Any dealer will gladly have your car built to order, or you can do it on Ford's website. I've found plenty of dealers with no mark up as well.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/10/11 1:59 p.m.
failboat wrote: so....whats the difference between this and the currently offered performance package? It sounds like its just a new name for the same package thats been available. Good luck finding any V6's on the lot with just this package. All the ones ive been able to find locally all are optioned up (driving the price up thousands.....) and dont have the performance package. I think the only way we know it exists is because you can order it. I want one of these for a DD pretty badly.

Order it up...it's more fun that way imo.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
5/10/11 2:02 p.m.
rotard wrote: I think I'd pony up (heh) the extra cash for a base GT. ENCS had them for sale over here for around $28k, if I remember correctly.

Not correct, unless they were leftover weak-sauce 4.6 2011's. The 5.0 GT coupe absolute rock-bottom price is $29,995. If you want the Performance Pack for the V8, it will be $31,690.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
5/10/11 2:03 p.m.

Has anybody thought of the fact that you could probably sell the OEM ramz/tires for enough money to equip it with some RPF1's and decent track rubber? I bet those 19's with rubber brand new would go for close to $2k private sale up here...

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
5/10/11 2:03 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
failboat wrote: so....whats the difference between this and the currently offered performance package? It sounds like its just a new name for the same package thats been available. Good luck finding any V6's on the lot with just this package. All the ones ive been able to find locally all are optioned up (driving the price up thousands.....) and dont have the performance package. I think the only way we know it exists is because you can order it. I want one of these for a DD pretty badly.
Order it up...it's more fun that way imo.

This. Seriously, ordering exactly what you want is the ONLY thing that's good about brand new car purchases.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
5/10/11 2:05 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Yes. Yes I did.

rotard
rotard New Reader
5/10/11 2:11 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
rotard wrote: I think I'd pony up (heh) the extra cash for a base GT. ENCS had them for sale over here for around $28k, if I remember correctly.
Not correct, unless they were leftover weak-sauce 4.6 2011's. The 5.0 GT coupe absolute rock-bottom price is $29,995. If you want the Performance Pack for the V8, it will be $31,690.

I'm overseas in Iraq. They sell them to us for a bit of a discount. The figure the guy gave me for a 2011 base GT was $28kish. I can't remember if it was closer to $29k or not. The moral of this story is that you can join the military and get cheaper factory direct vehicles when you deploy. Yay, what an awesome trade-off.

pres589
pres589 Dork
5/10/11 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Outside of that rear axle, what are we looking at here, a factory tower brace and a springs/swaybar kit? I should run through the Build Me side of the Ford Mustang website and see if there's an LSD option separate from everything else, or maybe one that adds a couple of those above items.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 2:13 p.m.

Just called Ford, The closest to Knoxville TN with a base, V6, performance pack is in Manassas, Virginia, the next closest is 6 miles away from that at Chantilly, Virginia.

So if anyone is around the DC area go give 'em a spin, even if you are just flying through (Chantilly is 1 mile from Dulles.)

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 2:14 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Outside of that rear axle, what are we looking at here, a factory tower brace and a springs/swaybar kit? I should run through the Build Me side of the Ford Mustang website and see if there's an LSD option separate from everything else, or maybe one that adds a couple of those above items.

GT 500 rear control arms GT springs Tower Brace GT standard brakes

then everything else you mentioned.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
5/10/11 2:15 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Outside of that rear axle, what are we looking at here, a factory tower brace and a springs/swaybar kit? I should run through the Build Me side of the Ford Mustang website and see if there's an LSD option separate from everything else, or maybe one that adds a couple of those above items.

There is not, and it is a well-priced package. $1995 for different springs, swaybars, brake calipers & pads, wheels & tires, LSD differential, and adding a strut brace is a lot of equipment for the money.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
5/10/11 2:18 p.m.

"High-tech horsepower The Mayhem Mustang Package takes advantage of Mustang's 305-horsepower all-aluminum Ti-VCT V6 engine's lightweight and high-revving nature to deliver a nimble performance car equally at home on a road course or road trip.

Borrowing from Mustang GT, the Mayhem Mustang Package includes numerous suspension, braking and body stiffening upgrades to deliver unparalleled handling performance. That road-holding is helped by a near-equal front/rear weight distribution, providing exceptional transient response along with the car's slimmed-down curb weight of less than 3,500 pounds.

The 2012 Ford Mayhem Mustang Package includes:

3.31 rear axle ratio for quicker off-the-line acceleration Mustang GT coupe front and rear stabilizer bars Mustang GT front struts and rear shocks/springs Shelby GT500 rear lower control arm Unique 19-inch wheels Pirelli performance tires for improved grip Mustang GT front and rear brake calipers with Performance Friction pads Strut tower brace for increased body rigidity Unique electronic stability control calibration with sport mode for performance driving Unique badging."

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
5/10/11 2:26 p.m.

I thought in going to the 8.8" rear diff for the V6, all Mustangs had LSD stock. Is that not correct?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JcMpUNVbXnSSlLUt3YopmQLwpjXr10rQDiaECObDxh6byB0sbhmiD8QZG1hCUYPD