gravityfed
gravityfed
11/7/09 12:32 a.m.

here is a link to complete build thread:

click here!!!!!!

now for some cliff notes

this car has been in my possession twice now. The first time i bought it, the original 12a was in it, far from a running state, got it 99 percent complete then sold it prior to moving to colorado. A year later i bought it back minus engine. Decided to get dirty and got it to where it is currently.

Mod list 1982 Mazda RX-7 GS Silver Exterior / Black Interior

Chassis:

+ClassicDatsun.com 240z fender flares +Removed rub strips

Driveline:

+S4 13B 6 port engine. 189,000 original miles +Stock 12a TransmissionDisabled MOP, Plugged Oil injector Holes +Atkins EFI/EGR block off kit +GSL-SE oil pan +12a front cover +Pineapple Racing Aux Port Sleeves +Downdraft Manifold +EFI Hardware ITBs +42lb/hr injectors
+-6AN Stainless Braided Fuel Lines (engine bay) +Stainless Steel 3/8" Fuel Lines (under car) +Aeromotive 13109 FPR +Summit EFI fuel pump +Atkins Side Mount Alt. Kit +S5 alt. w/ double pulley +Summit CDI box for leading ignition(3)
+Summit "LS1" type coils +Megasquirted +Racing Beat Header +E-fan +RE-Speed Oil Pedestal Gauge Block +GSL-SE Axle +4.78 Final Drive Kia Sportage 3rd member w/ GSL-SE LSD

Suspension: +Eibach Springs +Adjustable Tokicos in front +Non Adjustable Tokicos in rear +Suspension Techniques Sway bars, front and rear

Wheels and Brakes: +Sportmax 002 Wheels 16x8 0 offset. 5 lug front, 4 lug rear +Hankook Ventus RS-2 Tires, 225/45R16 rear, 215/45R16 front +RE Speed Big Brake Kit, Front +FC 4 piston Calipers +FC Slotted Rotors +Stainless Brake lines +GSL-SE Rear Brakes

Interior: Sparco Speed seat for the driver Wood Hurst shift knob (70's vintage) Removed HVAC components Autometer Ultra-Lite 5" in dash tach (no speedo)

Future mods will include finally installing the flares, replacing the toasted transmission with a T5 while adding a much better clutch and pressure plate and lightweight flywheel, replacing 3" exhaust with 2.5" for clearancing, RE speed coilovers front and rear, and converting to a MS controlled ignition.

unevolved
unevolved New Reader
11/7/09 12:47 a.m.

Oh man, that thing's gorgeous. Are those wheels on the rear 4x110? I still don't know what I'm going to do for mine when it comes time to buy wheels.

Edit: My hopes are dashed. Just reread and saw the GSL-SE rear brakes.

gravityfed
gravityfed New Reader
11/7/09 12:53 a.m.

In reply to unevolved: actually its not so bad. RE Speed does sell replacement axles but youll need an 84 or 85 rear (big bearing). They are Moser axles. For 315 its not bad plus you get yourself into a useable pattern since they can be put into any pattern.

http://mrcmfg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=112_69&products_id=183

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy New Reader
11/7/09 8:58 a.m.

Righteous build, but I gotts say, looks great without flares. Those tires really do the most with what is there.

P71
P71 SuperDork
11/7/09 10:19 a.m.
unevolved wrote: Oh man, that thing's gorgeous. Are those wheels on the rear 4x110? I still don't know what I'm going to do for mine when it comes time to buy wheels. Edit: My hopes are dashed. Just reread and saw the GSL-SE rear brakes.

I've got some killer 4x110 wheels for sale

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
11/7/09 1:11 p.m.

Bad-ass little car, my friend!!! Good to see you posting here. I don't get over to O.R. much anymore since I de-rotored my life.

Hope all is well in Idaho.

Will

gravityfed
gravityfed New Reader
11/7/09 6:12 p.m.

thanks will, im surprised i never really ventured over here before really.

if i can flare the sheetmetal enough to clear i will but will any additional lowering the wheels will hit guaranteed.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/7/09 6:20 p.m.

What is with one Tokico blue and one white shock?

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
11/7/09 9:24 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: What is with one Tokico blue and one white shock?

He's a cheap-ass like everyone else at OR, plus I think he's trying to see how many different colors he can stuff under the car. He likes bright, shiny things...

gravityfed
gravityfed New Reader
11/9/09 4:46 p.m.

theres that and summit only had one (which one i cant recall) left and tried to order the other which led to the company being on back order which led to them not making it anymore so i had to source another damper for the rear.

and the whole cheap ass thing

unevolved
unevolved New Reader
11/9/09 7:44 p.m.
I've got some killer 4x110 wheels for sale

Oh man. Don't tempt me.

To the OP, what kind of clearance issues did you run into with your 3" exhaust? I'm boosting my engine and kind of need 3" exhaust.

gravityfed
gravityfed New Reader
11/11/09 9:29 p.m.

i want to redo it a bit because i could have more clearance and i am also going to go UNDER the axle this time instead of over

unevolved
unevolved New Reader
11/12/09 7:56 a.m.

I've heard that talked about, but never seen it done. So do you just leave 1/4" or so between the exhaust and axle at maximum droop, or what?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/12/09 7:58 a.m.

I ran my RX3 13B bridgeport exhaust under the rear axle, it was way straighter and flowed stronger, but it was very low, read as track car only low

gravityfed
gravityfed New Reader
11/12/09 11:23 p.m.

i will probably have it in such a manner that i will have to jack up the car by the axle and remove the rear exhaust section, then lift the chassis if i need the axle to drop. Wont work for the rally car which will need the axle to move up and down, but since i wont be flying off jumps, it should work out. i hope...maybe. worse case, its simple to replace every now and then.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
11/17/09 5:07 p.m.

I love it. How far do the wheels stick out?

I found a used set for cheap but was initially looking at the XXR 502 with 15 offset instead of the 0 offset.

gravityfed
gravityfed New Reader
11/17/09 7:12 p.m.

and in other news, im picking up an Rx8 transmission...more on that later.

just enough were you either need flares or need to do serious fender rolling.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yNpPaGmEpMNPWo5s4fELnA1qy0au1gBTGNmCUNfcjGXykfLOkht6q3xA8Bqtz8ep