1 2 3
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
3/25/22 9:41 a.m.
Opti said:

I went Camaro SS1LE and have only driven it on the street. Plan is occasional autox and HPDE, and I didnt want to have to modify it for track prep, so I went 1LE, it is still a good GT car, but if the main concern is a street car a normal 2SS is probably better and is better on consumables like tires and brakes and gas and is much faster at the track.

I like the dual mode exhaust and would recommend it on any of the SSs, 1LEs all have it, and you can spot it on a normal SS by quad tips. I like the mag shocks, but the arent exactly reliable or cheap, so its up to personal preference to hunt for that on an SS, the different modes do make a difference on the ride quality and performance. I like the recaros and my wife hates them so thats up to you. I really like the 1le shifter vs the normal one.

Starting in 18 (IIRC) the 1LE is available as a 10speed or 6 speed and available as a 2SS. The nice thing about the 2SS 1le is the heated and cooled recaros.

I believe the 10 speed mustang is the fastest (drag stuff), but not by a wide margin.

I much prefer the LT1 on the street over a coyote. Its not a top end screamer like the coyote but it is much more versatile and will pull from any RPM and still has plenty of up top pull. If someone thought an LT1 was soggy down low, its probably a function of GMs stock tuning. Ive driven stock vs just a tune and it completely transforms the car, which has pretty much been the case with GMs stock tunes since the mid 90s.

If you plan to modify and go auto, I know there are some issues with the newer GM trans and unlocking them, so an older 10speed 18 or 19 IIRC is better.

PS 6 speed cars have the AFM disabled.

I just minutes ago turned the red SS in...see prior post in this thread.  Nice car.  I'm guessing it was a 2SS based on the options it had.  Curious why you say a 2SS is faster.  I'm definitely no expert on these new crop of muscle cars but it seems backwards.  Isn't the 1SS more track oriented?  Mine was fully kitted.  Recaros, sunroof, heated steering wheel.  It drove beautifully and I was as impressed with the brakes as anything else.  I gave it its share of abuse on Houston's backstreets which rival anywhere in Mexico for their glass table smoothness...of course my tongue is firmly in my cheek.  It soaked it all up with aplomb.  Thing is though, I liked the Mustang GT better.  I don't like the active cylinder management on the 6.2.  It seems like it's hunting gears when it switches off and on.  The 5.0 felt more eager at all times.  I have no doubt the SS would be faster on a track but the GT is a better street car.  The GT also offers one the possibility to kind of halfway see out of it.  People say it's really no problem to see out of the Camaro, that it just looks that way from the outside.  They are wrong.  I don't own one so I can be unbiased.  They are borderline dangerous and would be next to impossible to drive in traffic without the lane indicators that show up on the mirrors.  That might be fine if you don't live in an urban area.  I'll probably pick something else if one comes up again the next time I visit Houston.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/25/22 9:58 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:
 People say it's really no problem to see out of the Camaro, that it just looks that way from the outside.  They are wrong.  I don't own one so I can be unbiased.  They are borderline dangerous and would be next to impossible to drive in traffic without the lane indicators that show up on the mirrors.  That might be fine if you don't live in an urban area.  I'll probably pick something else if one comes up again the next time I visit Houston.

We've actually owned both Mustang and Camaro.  The Camaro is no worse than the Mustang once you're used to it, and it had a far better backup camera than the Mustang, so it was actually better in parking lots.  

The real problem with the Camaro for track use is you may not be able to fit your helmet through the side window opening, which is a safety issue.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
3/25/22 10:02 a.m.
Rodan said:
A 401 CJ said:
 People say it's really no problem to see out of the Camaro, that it just looks that way from the outside.  They are wrong.  I don't own one so I can be unbiased.  They are borderline dangerous and would be next to impossible to drive in traffic without the lane indicators that show up on the mirrors.  That might be fine if you don't live in an urban area.  I'll probably pick something else if one comes up again the next time I visit Houston.

We've actually owned both Mustang and Camaro.  The Camaro is no worse than the Mustang once you're used to it, and it had a far better backup camera than the Mustang, so it was actually better in parking lots.  

The real problem with the Camaro for track use is you may not be able to fit your helmet through the side window opening, which is a safety issue.

If I can't get used to it in 5 weeks, I can't get used to it.  I was comfortable in the Mustang but felt I needed to exercise extreme caution in the Camaro.  And those 'Texas U-turns' on the service roads were, how should we say, interesting.  

I'm 52 and get carded for the 'senior discount' so maybe that's part of it.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/25/22 10:07 a.m.

55 here... wink

We owned the Mustang for a year and the Camaro for almost 2.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
3/25/22 10:13 a.m.
z31maniac said:

So I double-checked all the configurators this morning. All 3, Mustang GT(or Mach 1 Premium with no options)/SS 1LE/Challenger, they way I would want them put them in the $54-57k range. The way I would want the Mach 1 premium (add handling pack, Recaro's and B&O stereo) puts it around $65k.

So a $55k car, on a 6 year note. $5k down, $2300 in sales tax and reg fees (so $7500 up front), comes to a $750/month payment. 

$65k?!

apples to coat hangers of course but you're getting into Model 3 Performance territory at that price point

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/25/22 11:45 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:
z31maniac said:

So I double-checked all the configurators this morning. All 3, Mustang GT(or Mach 1 Premium with no options)/SS 1LE/Challenger, they way I would want them put them in the $54-57k range. The way I would want the Mach 1 premium (add handling pack, Recaro's and B&O stereo) puts it around $65k.

So a $55k car, on a 6 year note. $5k down, $2300 in sales tax and reg fees (so $7500 up front), comes to a $750/month payment. 

$65k?!

apples to coat hangers of course but you're getting into Model 3 Performance territory at that price point

Yeah, I've looked at the AWD Performance model...........but for now I still want something that burns up dead dinosaurs. devil

Opti
Opti Dork
3/25/22 11:59 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Opti :

Where is your neck of the woods :p ????

A little west of Ft Worth

Opti
Opti Dork
3/25/22 12:07 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

The 2SS isnt faster its just nicer. You can get a 1ss or a 2ss. The 2ss is mostly comfort and luxury items like heated and cooled seats, lighting, and wireless phone charger. You can get the 1le on either 1ss or 2ss and its a shorter shifter, eLsd, mag shocks, wheels and tires, dual mode exhaust, spoiler, bigger brakes, etc. Earlier in the 6th gen run you could not get the 1le package on a 2ss. That changed in 18 IIRC but they were still real rare that year. You also could not get an auto 1le until 18 or 19.

Visibility is a problem. You do get a little more used to it, but its never great.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/25/22 12:08 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

All depends on how you look at it.  E cars are amazing over short periods of time, but in a 20+ minute HPDE session the pony cars will be way ahead.  And now let's do another lapping session or two the same day, and then try to drive home.  

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
3/25/22 4:09 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Don Fip said:

Another vote for the Challenger based on what you are describing, would be great comfort for regular driving and could handle a few track days here and there.  I had a base 2021 Scat Pack 6 speed, but wished I went with the wide body for adaptive dampers and much better looks.  Might be just above the 50k mark, so might need to play with the configurator a bit.  I sold mine after about 6 months and still miss the sound of a V8 so I'll probably be in the same boat looking at these cars again later this year if (when lol) I get tired of my Type R.

For fun I just went and played with the configurator. 

The Scat Pack Widebody starts at ~$51k, the few options I would want push it to around $56k. 

This is pretty much how I'd option one out, same color and all (maybe a louder color), but instead of the embroidery on the seats and badge on the fender package, I'd want the sunroof. 

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=632236153&listingTypes=NEW&driveGroup=RWD&makeCodeList=DODGE&modelCodeList=CHALLENGER&city=Oklahoma%20City&state=OK&zip=73132&location=&searchRadius=200&engineCodes=8CLDR&transmissionCodes=MAN&dma=&isNewSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fnew-cars%2Frear-wheel-drive%2Fdodge%2Fchallenger%2Foklahoma-city-ok-73132%3FsearchRadius%3D200%26engineCodes%3D8CLDR%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&clickType=spotlight

Nice. Just do us all a favor, if you do end up with one... take off the GD yellow lip protector(s)!!!!!

lol

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/25/22 4:21 p.m.
Chris_V said:
z31maniac said:
Don Fip said:

Another vote for the Challenger based on what you are describing, would be great comfort for regular driving and could handle a few track days here and there.  I had a base 2021 Scat Pack 6 speed, but wished I went with the wide body for adaptive dampers and much better looks.  Might be just above the 50k mark, so might need to play with the configurator a bit.  I sold mine after about 6 months and still miss the sound of a V8 so I'll probably be in the same boat looking at these cars again later this year if (when lol) I get tired of my Type R.

For fun I just went and played with the configurator. 

The Scat Pack Widebody starts at ~$51k, the few options I would want push it to around $56k. 

This is pretty much how I'd option one out, same color and all (maybe a louder color), but instead of the embroidery on the seats and badge on the fender package, I'd want the sunroof. 

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=632236153&listingTypes=NEW&driveGroup=RWD&makeCodeList=DODGE&modelCodeList=CHALLENGER&city=Oklahoma%20City&state=OK&zip=73132&location=&searchRadius=200&engineCodes=8CLDR&transmissionCodes=MAN&dma=&isNewSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fnew-cars%2Frear-wheel-drive%2Fdodge%2Fchallenger%2Foklahoma-city-ok-73132%3FsearchRadius%3D200%26engineCodes%3D8CLDR%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&clickType=spotlight

Nice. Just do us all a favor, if you do end up with one... take off the GD yellow lip protector(s)!!!!!

lol

Hahaha, I remember that being a big meme a few years of guys leaving them on. I have no idea why, it looks so dumb.

Now that I've actually put pen to paper and see that my initial outlay will be approaching $10k and I'll still have a $750/month payment, ugh. 

Don Fip
Don Fip New Reader
3/25/22 5:32 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Lol, I noticed they changed the style of the lip protector, looks a lot thinner but only covers the front.  I still have the OG "bananas" for the corners if you end up getting a Challenger so you can complete the look lol.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AcFa3D8BzuPWhbPW7gjWOGrHJM7B1ANzkdfHpwMhSGXKiwYgX72LrVA15VPymA9w