Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
3/31/22 9:37 p.m.

That Violet sure is a handsome girl!  Looks like she's taking to her new ride just fine.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/1/22 9:06 a.m.

Every time this thread pops up, two things go through my head:

-I want that V70R (Not happening, unfortunately, too many other projects/cars)

-I really wish Holly and Olive (my two dogs) would tell me they want a cool wagon/off-road vehicle. They aren't big on rides in the car. 

Good luck with the sale of the V70R, and tell Violet she has great taste in vehicles! 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/2/22 6:10 p.m.

It feels like Boxing Day...

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/2/22 6:25 p.m.

Looks like everybody in the CT V70 club did something to their car today.  I splurged and ran mine through the touch less wash.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/3/22 9:05 p.m.

We went for the full-on, late 90's Team Volvo-Cannondale vibe at Lime Rock this morning. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/3/22 9:06 p.m.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/3/22 9:06 p.m.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/3/22 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

Damn. I thought I had a picture of your car too, but I can't find it. It looked nice. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/3/22 10:42 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I didn't even take a picture of my car haha.  Many more interesting vehicles there.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/15/22 7:45 a.m.

I wanted to button up a few loose ends on this car before the next phase of its life, the main issue being an annoying little oil drip that started recently. It wasn't enough to show up on the dipstick, just a drop or two on the garage floor, but enough to drive me crazy.

I slid under the car to have a peek, but my recently repaired shoulder still isn't up to the task of major garage adventures at this point, so I decided to send the car to my favorite local shop. These guys have been taking care of Volvos, Saabs and pretty much every other cool car in the area for as long as I can remember.

Sometimes, it's a good idea to get a fresh set of eyes on things.

I had ordered a bunch of gaskets and o-rings, dropped the car off and asked them to take care of the oil leak, which I had thought was coming from the oil pan, and would require undoing the motor mounts, raising the engine a bit and dropping the pan. Big job, but one that I felt that I needed to take care of.

As it turns out, the oil pan was fine and the leak was coming from the turbo oil return line above it. Still a bit of work, as it's tucked way up in there and is hard to access, but also less invasive and not quite as expensive.

But while he was under there, he noticed some uneven wear on one of the front tires. Further investigation showed a bad ball joint, probably due to a pothole or something. I had completely missed that.

So we ordered some new ball joints (complete lower control arms actually), I had Tire Rack send over some new tires and they changed the oil for me while it was over there, even though it only traveled about 2500 miles since the last oil change. Naturally, they did an alignment after the suspension work and tires. 

My only regret is that we didn't collect an oil sample, which breaks my streak of doing an oil analysis along with each change under my care. 

So the Volvo is back in the garage. The new tires feel good, it handles great and the garage floor is staying nice and clean.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/21/22 10:08 a.m.

Minor Update:

The past few weeks have been dominated by Jeep Life, and we haven't done much with the V70R. But this morning, I needed to run a quick errand, and the Volvo keys were on the counter, so I hopped in and took that.

Damn... I love this car. It's just so good for so many things.

I currently find myself with too many vehicles in the fleet. The plan was to replace the Volvo with the Jeep. I've owned Jeeps before, and I had been looking for a while. When this one came along, I jumped on it because I knew immediately that I'd never find another used one that was this good. And it's great... but I'm not entirely certain that I'm re-embracing Jeep life.

My "quick errand" in the V70R turned into a two and a half hour run through the winding roads of Litchfield County.

Damn... I love this car. 

But, something has to go. Not sure which direction this is heading.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/21/22 9:32 p.m.

I have to admit that Violet is far, far more relaxed riding in the Jeep than she was in the Volvo, or any other vehicle for that matter. She just hangs out next to my right shoulder and looks out the windshield as I drive. There's even noticeably less nose art on the side windows than there was with the V70R. 

This is probably better for her blood pressure, as well as mine. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/21/22 10:42 p.m.

Buying a Wrangler is like receiving lewd photos from your hot ex-girlfriend:  getting involved in it isn't as fun as you were originally expected.

I've owned many Wranglers over the years and nearly every time I've bought one I've thought to myself "why the heck did I buy something that drives this poorly?".  Then I take the top off and everything seems a little better.

I can't say I blame you on your wagon.  I have an irrational love for mine which is in no way even nearly as nice as your car.  

Keep 'em both!?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/22/22 7:01 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/22/22 8:59 a.m.

Just do like I did and expand your driveway!  You don't have too many cars, you have too little driveway!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/22/22 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

My driveway already wraps around behind the garage. But having four cars inside and two outside is not sustainable.

Unless one is a Model A pickup and another is a vintage race car. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/22/22 2:11 p.m.

I've been wanting another Volvo wagon in my life. Just sayin'.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/22/22 3:01 p.m.

What you really WANT is a Cayenne or Macan.  Sell both and buy one of those!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/22/22 3:08 p.m.
Loweguy5 said:

What you really WANT is a Cayenne or Macan.  Sell both and buy one of those!

I do not. 

The cargo areas are too small, the floors are too high, the side windows don't provide a suitably large enough area for nose art, and the maintenance costs are too high. 

Although the Mecan GTS has the most comfortable (16 way?) adjustable seats that I've ever sat in. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/22/22 3:09 p.m.

Maybe a Panamera Sportback, but that's another order of magnitude. . 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/22/22 4:44 p.m.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/22/22 6:28 p.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

I do love those cars. I tried to talk my wife into one, but she loves her Hondas and that Volvo would be $25k+ more. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/22/22 7:08 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that the non-XC V90 is available in this country, but they are special order only. They're not part of the regular dealer allotment. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/23/22 7:58 a.m.

Now that it's no longer the primary Dog Hauler, I'm starting to dig the Radwood-ish vive that this car has.

Anybody going to Caffeine and Carburetors in New Canaan tomorrow?

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/23/22 8:05 a.m.

I am taking the 330 up to Lime Rock for the FCP Euro Sunday Motoring Meet (this time is BMW).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XKDt7VkewfJGgNROCTvjLAloPw3d9VOrkylugjddCO5xTZCURgPMD7WxZaUdAeNk