1 2 3 4
engiekev
engiekev Reader
8/11/19 8:10 a.m.

Excellent find! 

That's a very odd looking muffler, is there a crossover tube to the exit and tip?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/11/19 8:19 a.m.
Woody said:

The floor mats appear to be specific to the V70R, as they all have R’s embroidered into them.

Volvo does love to put Rs everywhere.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/11/19 9:44 a.m.
engiekev said:

Excellent find! 

That's a very odd looking muffler, is there a crossover tube to the exit and tip?

Yes. I’ve never seen anything like it before. It looks as if they were starting to design dual exhaust for it and then changed their mind. There are two huge mufflers but only one tailpipe. The one on the driver’s side  goes in and out in front and then crosses over to the second one.

I have no idea why a turbo car would need so much muffling. Must be a safety thing. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/11/19 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

I worked as a porter/car washer at a Volvo dealership in college when these came out. I loved them, but I could never understand that exhaust! It was sooooo odd. Especially on the Rs. You would think the lesser V70s would not have the dual exhaust and just have the neutered muffler and capped hole in the bumper, not the R! It really does feel like they abandoned the whole thing when they got to the end. "Quick, put a cap over it."

I was hoping you would explain this mystery that has haunted me for the past 20 years (yikes).

Nice car!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
8/11/19 1:51 p.m.

Of note is that 98-99 Rs had the goofy single exhaust, but 2000 models had dual. So if you can find someone’s take-off from a 2000MY car you will be golden.

When I was living in the P80 world the claim was that Volvo used that branched resonator as a way to reduce highway drone and keep the tone more civilized (it is worth noting that BMW has used similar concepts in OE exhaust design before too). I believe the AWD system on the P80 platform requires that creative packaging “solution” that the FWD cars did not need.

The V70 cargo space is awful for magnifying exhaust drone and many people claim aftermarket exhausts for the P80 cars are absolutely brutal in that regard. Lots of bad reviews. So the 2000 R exhaust is very sought after.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/11/19 4:30 p.m.

I've heard that explanation before, and it makes sense, but then why the cutout in the bumper?

Unsolved mysteries of the automotive world.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
8/11/19 5:49 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

Not a mystery - in Europe, where you could order a FWD V70R, they used the left cutout, like all other FWD P80 cars.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
8/11/19 6:35 p.m.

Woody, I don't know if you saw this or not, but it looks like Violet has been on-line...

via Imgflip Meme Generator" />via Imgflip Meme Generator" />

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/11/19 8:18 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Whaaaaat?! Did you make that? laugh

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
8/11/19 8:42 p.m.
Woody said:

In reply to noddaz :

Whaaaaat?! Did you make that? laugh

Ummm.  Yes,  I admit it.  I did that.  But I don't know how it ended up there 3 times...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/11/19 8:51 p.m.

Sunny, breezy and dry today. Perfect. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/11/19 9:00 p.m.

You can tell that this is a legit European Luxury Car because it's the first time I've found actual paper money under the seats of something that I just bought. For my dog.

Add a total of $5.02 back into the budget.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/11/19 9:04 p.m.

Interior has turned out pretty nicely.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
8/11/19 9:29 p.m.

Ada is excited about the V70R prospect but has concerns about being relegated to the cargo area.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/11/19 10:04 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture : 

Gotcha, so all FWD cars had the left cutout, but the AWD necessitated the right hand cutout, and hence the abandoned left cutout.

Sorry to distract from this lovely wagon. :D

Please let us know how it treats you, I've always wanted one of these.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/12/19 9:47 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

I've only been under it to attend to that heat shield, but wow, is everything tightly packaged under there. Lots of stuff in very little space.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/13/19 7:25 a.m.

Nice ride...and dog.  Totally thrilled for you that it's a 98 not a 2000, as in one of the best of that last brickish Volvos instead of the worst.  My 2000 V70XCSE had the same dual muffler system, now I understand it better, almost bored a hole in the drivers side of mine.  

Just keep a couple of jumper wires with you for when either of the two fuel pump relays go out, or obviously a spare one.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/13/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Good to know, thanks.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/13/19 12:25 p.m.

I found this article from back when Autoweek was still relevant. Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure that the car in the photo is an XC70 Cross Country and not a V70R.

It’s the only review that I can find from when the car was new, though I’m sure that Car and Driver and Road and Track must have done short reviews on it.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/13/19 1:03 p.m.

I remember Autoweek, wow, blast from the past!

ebelements
ebelements New Reader
8/13/19 2:01 p.m.

I've got a '95 850 Turbo wagon just taking up space in the driveway, and I've never put the dog in it. Might have to take Charlie for a spin today.

Also, I don't know what exactly changed with the 850 becoming the V70, but damn, the interior seems to hold up WAY better. Mine looks like Arnold's face at the end of Total Recall when he gets blown out onto the surface.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/13/19 4:13 p.m.

Easiest parking brake adjustment ever. 

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
8/13/19 4:14 p.m.

Easiest OBD2 hookup ever!!

BTW, there is a penny there to add to your recoup $

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/13/19 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Didn't notice that until I saw the photo! Up to $5.03 now!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/13/19 8:10 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Woody said:

Violet, as always, is happy.

My dog is very well behaved in the car.  She rides beautifully.  However, there is no way in heck she would have sat still for that photo.  

The Doodle abides. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g4rpUO8Uu2tn33Rxz1l6K7xGKDncUkY1E7lzCo07umUFtvl0nIIZYS6PdEQk8vAx