1 2
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
2/28/09 10:00 a.m.

i'm jealous of DILYSI Dave's nice floor. I can barely roll an unladen floor jack on my crappy 1979 concrete.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
2/28/09 10:12 a.m.

OK, what does "tangenziale" mean? (obviously an exotic road sign!)

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
2/28/09 10:33 a.m.

it's the "beltway" of sorts that runs around the city of Naples. Known for it's uneven surfaces, ultra-high speeds (even though the speed limit is 100kp/h, most people double that), no shoulder, and massive accidents.

I lived in naples for a couple years in my high school days. One of the favorite pasttimes for American high school kids was to steal road signs, since (like most of europe) there are HUGE poles with like 20 signs that size on them, and alot of them are on incomplete roads (which will never be completed). That sign was put on a side road pointing to where a Tange entrance was supposed to go. They built half the ramp and then never finished (in an 8 year span!) since someone probably didn't pay a bribe or something....

So we figured that the signs really weren't needed ;) I must have had like 20 signs like that, but could only stash 1 away with our moving goods (my father was a US military officer) without him finding out.

I wish I still had the "Autostrade" (italian version of the autobahn) and "Roma" (Rome) and "Napoli" (Naples) arrows....

(btw, this was like 15 years ago, I am reformed now!)...

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
2/28/09 4:08 p.m.

after we took those signs, we came back the next day and they were waiting for us to prevent more theft

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
3/1/09 8:57 a.m.

I wish I had a garage the closest thing I have to a garage is my bedroom...

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
3/1/09 3:31 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I wish I had a garage the closest thing I have to a garage is my bedroom...

I have both - I can tell you where the most action takes place. I do use the formal living/dining space to store "new parts" ever since the 944 halfshaft grease got on the carpet...

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
3/1/09 5:52 p.m.

^ ^ sounds like my old townhouse....car parts everywhere, a big floor jack in the breakfast room in the front of the house since it was too heavy to take to the basement where it was supposed to go

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/21/15 6:53 p.m.

Wow, forgot about this old thread. Funny seeing the old pics of how the garage used to look, since it's changed quite a bit.....well, a few recent pics for posterity.

It can still fit two cars inside (albeit in the "working bay" here the WRX just barely fits).

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/21/15 7:45 p.m.

Nicely done. We are doing a garage rehab so its always nice to see what others are doing.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/2/18 8:07 p.m.

been a while since I updated this. Anyhow, as usual I've rearranged, added stuff, build stuff, etc. Today I did a pre-winter cleanup and figured I'd take a few new pics:

built a little fold-down table for my kids to use when they play with car parts in the garage.

bins, bins, bins

I do appreciate that my project cars (the e30 and the Porsche) are pretty small so leave me plenty of room to work in the garage.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
12/2/18 8:24 p.m.

Awesome use of space in there!  Looks great!

pirate
pirate Reader
12/3/18 8:57 a.m.

I have a 20 X 20 shop try to keep clean and organized. Everything has a place and clean up and put everything away after each job I do in shop.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/3/18 9:02 a.m.
pirate said:

I have a 20 X 20 shop try to keep clean and organized. Everything has a place and clean up and put everything away after each job I do in shop.

Beautiful shop and awesome car there! I found this to be key, clean up every day. I know at the end of a long wrenching session it's tempting to leave the tools laying around. I know you'll "just be getting them out the next day" to work on the car. But it's so much better to walk into a clean shop to start the day's tasks. I made a commitment to keep my workbench clean when I started my "parting out" thread about a year and a half ago. Some days I slip up, but most days I put away tools and maybe use the broom a bit before leaving. And I can really tell the difference in my mood when I walk into the shop and see that glorious empty workbench.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/3/18 3:46 p.m.
dculberson said:
pirate said:

I have a 20 X 20 shop try to keep clean and organized. Everything has a place and clean up and put everything away after each job I do in shop.

Beautiful shop and awesome car there! I found this to be key, clean up every day. I know at the end of a long wrenching session it's tempting to leave the tools laying around. I know you'll "just be getting them out the next day" to work on the car. But it's so much better to walk into a clean shop to start the day's tasks. I made a commitment to keep my workbench clean when I started my "parting out" thread about a year and a half ago. Some days I slip up, but most days I put away tools and maybe use the broom a bit before leaving. And I can really tell the difference in my mood when I walk into the shop and see that glorious empty workbench.

yeah that is my biggest problem is that I get so tired by the end of wrenching all day I just leave a mess around and then it compounds itself over the next week until I get up the motivation to get my butt up and start cleaning lol

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/3/18 4:20 p.m.

Ugh... this and the previous thread make me want to go home and start cleaning.  Unfortunately, home is 340 miles away right now. 

pirate
pirate Reader
12/3/18 5:40 p.m.

A lot of my friends and family make fun of how anal I am about how clean and organized my shop is. However being only 20 x 20 if things don’t get put away it becomes hard to work on things. Also the process of cleaning and putting things away helps in making sure things are not lost. I use my shop a lot and enjoy being out there so it all makes sense to me. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
12/3/18 6:58 p.m.

Of all threads, there are simply none quite as satisfying as a good garage thread. Well done I say to all contributors..........it's the stuff of dreams.

1 2
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
aLsq9xAIJK8ztOKvyMGIFvzbNxl3rIWfde6zS10aQx5y0JzhlyfbGlqOfz6jN1fT