1 2 3
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/8/21 7:49 a.m.

As some already know, I. inherited a 1993 (12/92 build date) NA Miata. My cousin passed a year ago in a freak kite boarding accident. Tom and Nicole flew to MA and drove the car home to FL a couple of weeks ago.

I have looked the car over and other than what appear to be 1.8 wheels, it is all original. It really is in pretty close to new condition (118,000 miles) both mechanically and cosmetically.

While I need to get a few other projects done first, I need to decide what to do with this car. While in great shape, other than the hard top, it appears to have no options.

I am tempted to put A/C, power steering and a LSD in it and call it a day. Maybe a bit nicer set of wheels and some very mild suspension and engine mods. I think the car is too nice and original to go much further than that. What do you think.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/8/21 7:54 a.m.

It's not good for the magazine, but I would leave it untouched. It has a good (albeit sad) story. It is a "modern" car with no AC, roll up windows, etc.  We'll never see this again. Keep it for the car shows with a show board in tribute to your cousin and preserve it. The longer we go, the more unique an untouched original will be. 

maybe a series for CM on getting into car shows, detail and prepping a show-driver, etc. 

fornetti14
fornetti14 Dork
12/8/21 8:27 a.m.

It's gorgeous.

Are you planning to keep it or sell it?  I'd say it's so nice that adding A/C and/or PS and a LSD won't hurt the value and will only improve a fantastic 1.6 NA.  Go for it and enjoy.  And those are my favorite NA wheels!

Opti
Opti Dork
12/8/21 8:44 a.m.

I think the OEM+ route is correct. I agree stuff like this is becoming rare, but there seems to be no shortage of super low mileage ones that pop up for sale for the collector crowd. With the mileage already on it, it wont attract the collectors it will attract people that want a nice one to enjoy. Normally those people dont mind a few updates or modifications if they dont completely change the car.

If you plan on keeping this thing, then who cares do what makes it most enjoyable for you. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/8/21 8:54 a.m.

Nice car - I agree to leave it stock.   

A guy at work bought a new 1979 MGB and babied it for 42 years and it's amazing how clean and original it is.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia Reader
12/8/21 9:03 a.m.

I say oem+. This car is the way I ordered mine in 1989, but the dealer wouldn't actually order any cars without AC in case they got stuck with it. I quickly learned it was the right thing to have for things like traffic jams. It was all port or dealer installed anyway so who's to know? 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
12/8/21 9:04 a.m.

Wow that is clean!

calteg
calteg Dork
12/8/21 9:12 a.m.

Yes to the LSD, you can break the open diff on stock power levels if you really try. I'd stick with the manual rack, they're rare and provide phenomenal feel. I preferred the steering feel in my 94R even more than my Elise. A/C is up to you, it definitely won't hurt anything, but it might be neccessary in FL

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/8/21 9:15 a.m.

My '90 Miata (bought in '93 and still have) is also a base model and no AC.  If you happen to add AC, I'd appreciate an article complete with parts list.  This parts list could also be helpful for NA races taking out AC in helping them max recoup by selling a whole AC kit.  

Factory wheels would have been 14" silver painted steel wheels.  For me, a long time ago, I went to period classic wheels...15" Panasports

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
12/8/21 9:25 a.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:

It's not good for the magazine, but I would leave it untouched. It has a good (albeit sad) story. It is a "modern" car with no AC, roll up windows, etc.  We'll never see this again. Keep it for the car shows with a show board in tribute to your cousin and preserve it. The longer we go, the more unique an untouched original will be. 

maybe a series for CM on getting into car shows, detail and prepping a show-driver, etc. 

I like glueguy's thinking.  As Tom Petty said, "there ain't no more comin' down the line."  And it seems you have an emotional attachment to this particular car.

Option #2 would be to build a full-on Paco Motorsports Offroadster (not just the 3" lift), because a) the Offroadster is cool and b) I think that's about the only thing GRM has never done with a Miata.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
12/8/21 9:33 a.m.

Drool....  That is beautiful. 

Do. Not. Touch. It.  Leave that thing precisely as is and cherish it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/21 9:42 a.m.
calteg said:

Yes to the LSD, you can break the open diff on stock power levels if you really try. I'd stick with the manual rack, they're rare and provide phenomenal feel. I preferred the steering feel in my 94R even more than my Elise. A/C is up to you, it definitely won't hurt anything, but it might be neccessary in FL

It's the ring gear that is the weak point, and it's common to all 1.6 cars regardless of diff type. 

This is a CM project :) Restore and maintain but don't upgrade.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
12/8/21 10:10 a.m.

Looks like a very nice example. Based on the 118k miles, I would be inclined to upgrade with AC if that increases it's potential driving days significantly but otherwise maintain and enjoy. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/8/21 10:27 a.m.

Maintain it and drive it, it's too nice to do anything else with.  A Torsen swap is both non-intrusive and easily reversible, though at that mileage, the collectors won't be after it.

I wouldn't bother with power steering, and A/C was like adding a 500lb trailer on our 1.6 when you turned it on.  I'd just leave it as is, and enjoy it when the weather is nice.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/8/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to bluebarchetta :

I already have another off road Miata, so that is off the table.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/8/21 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I think it is too nice to go crazy with. And we can use a stock one for comparison tests, buyer's guides etc. And yes, I promised I would not sell it.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/8/21 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Can't wait to get the heavy, restricting hard top off of it to see what I really have.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/8/21 10:56 a.m.
Tim Suddard said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I think it is too nice to go crazy with. And we can use a stock one for comparison tests, buyer's guides etc. And yes, I promised I would not sell it.

So how much you asking?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
12/8/21 12:57 p.m.

Keep it as delivered. You don't need to drive it in the summer heat, and keeping the interior (in particular) out of the Florida sun is also beneficial. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/8/21 1:12 p.m.

The only thing I might do to it is install A/C, otherwise leave it alone.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/8/21 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy : this is a keeper. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/8/21 1:16 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 : the interior is nearly flawless

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/8/21 1:18 p.m.

I'm all for keeping it stock, since that's what makes it special. I'm okay with a tire and wheel upgrade, and since I live in the same county, I know how hot it is here.  

Depending on how it gets used, I'd seriously consider adding AC. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/8/21 1:51 p.m.

Question:

In 1992/93, was A/C still a dealer-installed option?

If so, I would install it using OE parts, and end the modifications there.  Maybe an LSD if you really think it needs it.

Other than that, revel in its true "survivor" status.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
12/8/21 2:04 p.m.

Sounds like a great plan all around. The only thing I would add is removing that pinstripe. It looks out of place to me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1x2UiItDCasUqaDaa2xYHI7yBLMHYDHNPdQ01leAJuVyCs2WFNeV4YJuGGOPsaxZ