1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/21 2:30 p.m.

Mine had the same pinstripe when I got it in 1993. It's period-correct :)

Mazda is making some resto parts for these, if needed. And that heavy, restrictive hardtop has more visibility and weighs about the same as the soft top, I'd keep it and pull the soft top - all of my Miatas have hardtop, most do not have soft tops. 

This car is very similar to my #338, minus the low production number but also minus a period of hard life. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/8/21 2:36 p.m.

My '92 had that pinstripe, too. I came across this photo only a month or so go. Totally forgot that it once wore pinstripes.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/8/21 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Sorry.  I was being a smart alleck.  

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/21 3:26 p.m.

Its a great time capsule, certainly make it more enjoyable for you by adding A/C, etc.

Maybe some period correct modifications like a super or turbo charger?  Not to make it a barn-burner, but to help it keep up with traffic better without losing the intrinsic feel of the NA?  Or perhaps enjoy it as is and look at a 1.8 swap?  Thinking that making it the "best" version of the NA in your minds.

I do kind of like some of the minimalist builds on the FM website, some great ideas in there.  Many of those are bolt-on and reversible, many aren't.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/21 3:34 p.m.

You don't want a period correct turbo or supercharger. We've learned a lot in 29 years :)

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
12/8/21 3:36 p.m.

No way I could go without AC down here in the south

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
12/8/21 4:41 p.m.

Question: Is AC a dealer installed option? 

I think we are approaching the day where a 100% stock, unrestored miata could be a pretty keen thing (or are we already there?), even at 118K+. Is it worth it/nice enough to make it a show car?

David S. Wallens
12/8/21 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Although, FWIW, I had some dudes geeking out over my Jackson CAI. 

"This build is totally '90s."

"Yes. Yes it is." smiley

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/21 5:37 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Nothing wrong with the JR CAI.

David S. Wallens
12/8/21 6:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Nothing wrong with the JR CAI.

It works! But, yeah, they were really into the whole build. It's cool seeing another generation embrace the car. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/8/21 6:54 p.m.

Rolling restoration for CM.  Bring CM up to date.

This car is 29ish years old, right?  If I remember my timing right, Per did the blue GTV roughly 2004/5/6, right?  When it was around 30 years old.  So this car is as old now as when you featured a classic Alfa a long time ago.

Nice gentle rolling restoration.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/21 7:08 p.m.

Oh, way to make everyone feel old.

I agree.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/8/21 7:22 p.m.

I do that to myself all the time.  For instance, when I bought our GTV, the car was 23 years old.  And now in 2022, my Miata, which I bought brand new, is 23 years old.

This is one of those times where you start thinking that an NB should be welcome in the vintage race scene.  Except that it's still a very current and very popular race car for normal people.

BTW, Keith- how many ultra original cars are you aware of?  Would something like this make a good reference car, or are there still more than enough original ones out there?  The wheels are so easily dealt with....

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/8/21 7:27 p.m.
alfadriver said:

BTW, Keith- how many ultra original cars are you aware of?  Would something like this make a good reference car, or are there still more than enough original ones out there?  The wheels are so easily dealt with....

There is an NA around the corner from me that's immaculate and bone stock...............I always look to see if it has a for sale sign but alas there never is.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/8/21 7:36 p.m.

While I tend to be a preservationist anything done to this as a pure bolt-on can easily be undone one day should these cars become truly collectible. Just pack any removed parts away carefully. I will add that I'd stay away from the typical 15x7 wheels and 205 tires. I run my NB that way and every December I switch to the stock 14x6 rims with 185 snow tires and the steering feel gets so much nicer.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/8/21 7:49 p.m.

That's beautiful and special! Preserve it, cherish it. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
12/8/21 7:54 p.m.

I've got a slightly different take on this.  I figure you should lean on the "early"/"lightweight"/"high-rev" nature of the car.

so, yes LSD.  Yes, JR intake.  Maybe an exhaust.  Also, lightweight flywheel, and some 14x7 8.6# enkeis.  Maybe a carbon hardtop?  That last one might be a bridge too far.  But, I agree with Keith about pulling the soft top... and maybe figuring out a tonneau instead for when the hardtop is off.

y'all are in FL after all... so, "whatever" on the A/C.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/21 8:12 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

There are a few delivery mile cream puffs out there. I tracked a few down for one of my books. Not my scene, but there's no reason to try to bring this one to that status. You can even get repros of the original tires but without the rubber compound we didn't like at the time.

Note that there are off-the-shelf tonneau covers. You can either get the ugly but convenient aftermarket version or hunt down the sexier Mazda optional one. I've got one for 338. 

David S. Wallens
12/8/21 9:05 p.m.

Come the fist of the year, I can get Antique tags for my Miata. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/9/21 7:15 a.m.

Hard to live with a hardtop and no A/C in Florida. And i am plus sized, as you know, and find early Miatas a bit restrictive with the tops on.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/9/21 7:19 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) : I already have a few show cars. I don't want to butcher this car, but don't want to show it either.

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/9/21 7:21 a.m.

Awesome. I'm sorry for the circumstances, but glad the car is in good hands. I am always keeping my eye out for a solid NA around me. Yes...enjoy it. I would head in the direction you are...little bolt one to make it more usable and responsive without going full track mode. Good looking car. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/9/21 9:17 a.m.
Tim Suddard said:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) : I already have a few show cars. I don't want to butcher this car, but don't want to show it either.

Another way of looking at the opportunity- showing drivers how enjoyable the cars are without any serious changes  (and I don't see adding AC as a significant change, since finding OEM parts is pretty easy).

Especially since GRM has David's car as a comparison (sort of, since it's not exactly the same car). 

A good comparison of those two cars would be really interesting, especially if you make sure you have both drive in the best environment of the other.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/9/21 9:41 a.m.

Id honestly like to see a "survivor restoration " kind of project. 

Take a nice, unmolested but well driven car. Luke yours with 118k, or an older restoration. 

Show us how to bring it back up to snuff without a restoration. How/what to clean up, preserve patina, etc. Survivor show quality prep, if that makes sense. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/21 10:31 a.m.

Fair enough on the hardtop and no AC. I used to have an AC installation kit for a 1.8 NA, it's not that complex. It even has the button in the HVAC already*. The actual parts list needed is pretty straightforward and a place like Treasure Coast probably sells kits of used parts. Heck, there's a chance Moss sells new ones.

Here's what's involved. And yes, there's a second fan included.

My 338 is pretty much what a lot of you folks are describing. It's been in the family for over 20 years and has Koni Sport shocks, updated bumpstops, sway bars and some undercar bracing. Nothing to really change the driving experience, just sharpen it up and bit and replace worn out parts. I have "change the suspension bushings with new stock parts" on the list, which should probably be done on Tim's car as well. And as it is, it's a great reminder of why we fell in love with these cars in the first place and a good reference. I am probably going to install AC on it.

*to mess with a non-AC NA Miata owner, pull the fan speed knob off the shaft, press the center of the shaft like it's a button and the AC light will come on. Put the knob back on. Light stays lit.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OkXK7ibLTeaR2TLzh8TEJIMpbIpGcqz4X9SAcor9t1CYyMtNDjboA2wH3FwxSCBR