1 2
pjr300
pjr300 New Reader
9/30/10 10:01 p.m.

Hi folks.... this is my first post at GRM. Been hanging at CMS for a while.

I just sold my first gen RX-7. It was an ultra-clean car, just 36,000 miles.... sad to see it leave after 4 years of fun!

But -- I sold it to acquire a Turbo RX-7... this 1st Gen has an mid-80s Cartech bolt-on system that, coupled with some porting, provides about 300 hp at the rear wheels. Quite a boosted difference!

Here's a few photos that I took last week...

pigeon
pigeon Dork
9/30/10 10:03 p.m.

Very purty! Enjoy your turbo goodness!

EvanB
EvanB Dork
9/30/10 10:53 p.m.

Is it still a 12a? Carbureted?

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
9/30/10 10:57 p.m.

Nice! That's about the same color mine was before I sprayed it white.

Do you know who the front air damn is made by. I have been looking for one but most of what I'm finding is too boxy.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
9/30/10 10:57 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Is it still a 12a? Carbureted?

GSL-SE = EFI 13B

EvanB
EvanB Dork
9/30/10 11:02 p.m.

Ah, didn't catch the GSL-SE badge on the back.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
9/30/10 11:05 p.m.

The wheels are a pretty good giveaway also. I don't think I have ever seen those in a 4x110.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
9/30/10 11:24 p.m.

Wow, i LOVE the look.

thats a really cool car

Woody
Woody SuperDork
10/1/10 7:10 a.m.

The GSL-SE is my favorite RX-7, and that's my favorite RX-7 color. Add the turbo and you win the trifecta.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
10/1/10 7:23 a.m.

That's a beautiful RX-7. I'd like to find a nice GSL-SE one day.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/1/10 10:32 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: The wheels are a pretty good giveaway also. I don't think I have ever seen those in a 4x110.

They look like old Veilside Andrews--what are they???

Very neat in a 90's way.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
10/1/10 11:08 a.m.

Beauty. I love that grey colour (I had a 81 in the same colour).

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
10/1/10 11:12 a.m.

You Sir have a nice car!

SVTF
SVTF New Reader
10/1/10 12:38 p.m.

Very nice!

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the spinning Dorito doesn't like forced induction, especially aftermarket stuff? I have thought about building a turbo 12A or 13B for track duty, but I read too much about premature destruction of force-fed engines.

Any reliability data on this aftermarket kit? Is there a way to home-build force-feed a 12A reliably? 13B?

nocones
nocones Reader
10/1/10 12:45 p.m.

The dorito of power doesn't like Detonation. It LOVES boost. Properly tuned systems can yeild CRAZY power levels. An easy DIY system is to take a turbo from a 13B turbo and do some carb mods for Blow through turbo. Or you can do Mega squirt. I'm going to do one or the other on the MG I've already got the turbo.

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
10/1/10 2:42 p.m.

No pix under the hood?

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
10/1/10 2:43 p.m.

RX7 & fuzzy dice Hummmmmm

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
10/1/10 3:35 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: RX7 & fuzzy dice Hummmmmm

You forgot to post this

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
10/1/10 3:44 p.m.
SVTF wrote: Very nice! Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the spinning Dorito doesn't like forced induction, especially aftermarket stuff? I have thought about building a turbo 12A or 13B for track duty, but I read too much about premature destruction of force-fed engines. Any reliability data on this aftermarket kit? Is there a way to home-build force-feed a 12A reliably? 13B?

As the owner of a slightly modified 88 Turbo II, I can say that the spinning Doritos are very fond of boost. Normally aspirated rotaries don't have a lot of torque, but throw a few or 15 pounds of boost to them and they will put you back in your seat.

Too many people have taken a turbo RX-7 and opened up the intake and exhaust and not made appropriate additions to the fuel system. The result is predictable and ugly. You run WOT under boost and go lean, and you will pop an apex seal. Similar results can be expected by turbocharging a "high compression" n/a engine unless you provide more fuel.

It is my opinion that any bozo with a ounce of sense, a wideband O2 sensor, a laptop computer and an aftermarket ECU can build an entertaining turbocharged rotary car. Mine has been down the dragstrip many times in the last 8 years, and is patiently waiting for me to get a little more out of her.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
10/1/10 4:33 p.m.

I want that front air dam. Anyone know what it is?

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
10/1/10 6:32 p.m.

We want, er need, in-car video of a second- or third-gear WOT pull! In a completely safe, responsible way, of course.

David

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
10/1/10 6:35 p.m.

I used to have an Elford Turbo a while back - those only make about 160bhp, but I'd have to agree - boosted FBs rock!

Congrats to the purchase.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
10/1/10 6:36 p.m.

IHROTM.

SVTF
SVTF New Reader
10/2/10 8:44 p.m.

Well then. Rather than hijack, I"ll start a new thread for turbo-charging a 12A. They are cheap, good looking, and have a real roof; and, I have just the turbo in my garage - carbon seals and all!

pjr300
pjr300 New Reader
10/3/10 8:04 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Do you know who the front air damn is made by. I have been looking for one but most of what I'm finding is too boxy.
unevolved wrote: I want that front air dam. Anyone know what it is?

It's a Vestech II front spoiler. Not much into air dams on these but this one looks pretty good.

gamby wrote: The wheels look like old Veilside Andrews--what are they???

They are Enkei rims, 16x7, with Kumho tires. The SE bolt patters (4x114.3) gives a lot more choices than the old 4x110 option.

dean1484 wrote: No pix under the hood?

Ask and you shall receive!

dean1484 wrote: RX7 & fuzzy dice Hummmmmm

Gift from my daughter when she was 8... they have spent the last 8 years in 1st gen RX-7s. She loves cruising in these funky cars. And, yep, it was worse, as they used to be pink. Thankfully they have faded to white over time.

SVTF wrote: Very nice! Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the spinning Dorito doesn't like forced induction, especially aftermarket stuff? I have thought about building a turbo 12A or 13B for track duty, but I read too much about premature destruction of force-fed engines. Any reliability data on this aftermarket kit? Is there a way to home-build force-feed a 12A reliably? 13B?

The Dorito is like most men, it loves to be blown. The Cartech kits were produced in various forms for the 12A and the 13B 4 port engines, but this kit for the GSL-SE was the most mature and most popular. Designed to work with the stock ECU and injectors, it gets a lot out of the car (263 bhp) with only 7 lbs of boost. Mine is a bit higher due to the streetport effort. Considering the factory rating is just 135 hp, you can see that rotaries love turbocharging!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yMSIN4YsmpuG7y6A5aMVBH36jr4RGdRqIds55XtcSuReDkkZgD8oaQ694WmW3Gyv