hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
7/12/10 9:01 a.m.

1987 Shelby Charger GLH-S

Saw this a few days ago on the local CL boards and figured I had to go look at it. Car was/is rough and hasn't moved for a few years. Owner had the car since 1994 and has a folder full of receipts, etc. including $2800 for the engine build and $900 for turbo work. Of course not much of this matters as I didn't even try to turn the engine over. Body is straight, paint is crap but they never added clear coat to the GLH-S black paint so that is to be expected. Almost all the correct bits are there so I am fairly positive this is a true 1 of 1000 built GLH-S Chargers. Further research will hopefully support this.

Car also came with the original 2.2 block (probably unusable except for an anchor) a larger intercooler and some new brake lines. Almost all the plastic inside is worthless but the seats should clean up and the dash is in fairly good condition (no cracks).

If I can get her running there is a good chance you will see her at the Challenge in the under $1000 class as I picked her up for $500. The guys wife shook my hand and said "thank you" more times than I can count.

More picts to come when I roll her off the trailer and into the shop.

ZOO
ZOO Dork
7/12/10 9:27 a.m.

Cool. I love old FWD Mopars. Of course, I am a child of the '80s.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/12/10 9:54 a.m.

on my list of wants, along with Omni GLH too...lots of pics please!

tb
tb New Reader
7/12/10 10:00 a.m.

Excellent find! I really hope you can bring it back to life and get it to the challenge. Good luck.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/12/10 11:16 a.m.

Can't beat an original GLHS. Contact the Shelby Dodge moderator/registry facilitator(shelbymotorsports) on the TeamShelby site. He'll be able to not only verify the authenticity, but give you the original dealer, etc.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/12/10 11:27 a.m.

Holy crap you got that thing for $500? It was worth more than the full asking price in PARTS.

Im starting to want to go to the challenge just to see all this stuff.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
7/12/10 11:46 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: Can't beat an original GLHS. Contact the Shelby Dodge moderator/registry facilitator(shelbymotorsports) on the TeamShelby site. He'll be able to not only verify the authenticity, but give you the original dealer, etc.

Pop over to Shelby-Dodge.com too. There's only one really bad pic of your car on file and they would like a current one. I'm friends with the site admin and they mentioned it this morning...

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/12/10 2:33 p.m.

Excellent score. Flat black with skulls cures any paint problems.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 2:45 p.m.

I've gotta check out this thing when I get home (CL is blocked here at work). Hello from one new Shelby Turbo Dodge guy to another. Cool things like this come in threes, right? Who's gonna find the third one?

Asylum67
Asylum67 New Reader
7/12/10 2:53 p.m.

I own #132 a 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS. It is undergoing a complete restoration. I bought mine from the second owner and have all the documents including a glove box that is signed by the man himself.

I paid $5K for mine but it was in very mint condition and included many spare parts. Check out the Turbo Dodge website for plenty of resources when it comes to finding parts.

Turbo Dodge

If there is anything I can help you with just drop me a line.

hobiercr
hobiercr Reader
7/12/10 3:53 p.m.

I just got this back from the Team Shelby Supervisor

The vin number you provided does indeed match the dash plaque for GLHS #867. This particular car was shipped to Bob Dance Dodge in Florida back in December 1986. Hope this helps.

Very cool to know. I have started lurking on the Turbo-Dodge site for info but I ned to get into what I've got before I start looking at what to add .

The hardest thing to find I think will be the interior parts. The plastic is just not the highest quality and unless a car was stored inside I'm sure most original parts have become brittle.

As soon as I have a chance I'll upload some pictures here. Thanks for all the info. I'm sure i will be asking many questions down the road.

hobiercr
hobiercr Reader
7/12/10 4:52 p.m.

Hmmm, the plot thickens. When I looked at the car I had a few reservations that it was missing a few GLHS elements, like the sunroof, cassette radio and the presence of some red paint under some covered areas.

What it now looks like I have is a rebadged Shelby Charger with all the key elements, drivetrain, dash w/plaque, etc from a possibly (?) totaled original GLH-S. The good news, for $500 I don't really care and I will not feel guilty AT ALL now of lightening or modifying this body.

Down the road I may use the essential bits and build a clone but an original GLHS is not to be.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/12/10 4:55 p.m.

Kinda on the fence about this one..

SRT-4 swap, or forget it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 5:10 p.m.

Make it RWD for a LS swap? A SRT-4 swap would be pretty darn cool too.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/12/10 5:30 p.m.

Check out the turbo-mopar site as well. IMO, its the best site around for these cars. You don't need any swaps. You can make 400HP with what you've got there-good luck! I was going to say that the red paint doesn't necessarily disqualify it as a few were repainted at the dealers to help sales. But, the lack of a sunroof is pretty good proof its a regular Charger. The admin at Team Shelby can probably check the vin for you, too. He'd also probably want to know if your number plate belongs to a scrapped car.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/13/10 12:20 a.m.

Dont lighten it too much or it'll cave in
Thats econo-car unibody design expertise circa 1976.. keep that in mind while cutting..

SpiritRT
SpiritRT
8/23/10 4:57 p.m.

Does that car have a sunroof? If not it was a car that was totaled long ago and was clipped. I recall the car# from a thread on a old mailing list and the owner "Levi" thought it was a rare no sunroof car.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
8/23/10 8:33 p.m.

Ad is deleted man , post some pics

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/23/10 8:47 p.m.

RWD SRT-4 swap. Jeep used the non turbo 2.4. Violate it's trans for burnout goodness. Just sayin'.

Jdog8991
Jdog8991 None
6/30/15 8:44 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

Hey there. I have a 1987 Shelby charger glhs #164 that I can't find any sort of information on anywhere. I'm trying to replace/reroute all the vacuum lines and following the sticker under the hood my turbo doesn't spool up, rpm and oil pressure gauge doesn't work. If you know of any place to find info on how to work on these that would be awesome!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
6/30/15 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Jdog8991:

Check out TurboMopar.com.

They are a great resource for all the turbocharged 80's Mopar products!

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
6/30/15 9:41 a.m.

I bought "Omni" GLHS #238 new in '86. 76,000 trouble free except the computer near the end. I miss it.

Didn't one of the magazines experiment with splitters and get a stock Charger up to around 145? I love these cars.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
6/30/15 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Jdog8991:

The trick is that the 87 GLH-S is the same as the 86 GLH-S under the hood, so it uses a special 86 Turbo II diagram, not the 87 Turbo II diagram used on the Daytona Shelby Z.

http://thedodgegarage.com/ also has some great information as does this thread:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?60799-86-GLHS-Vacuum-rounting

Unfortunately, the MiniMopar.net site is down, but available via Google Cache and that has a ton of great info about troubleshooting and the like.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon SuperDork
6/30/15 11:06 a.m.

Aaaand of course I click on the OP's Craigslist link like a putz.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
1/9/21 9:07 p.m.

AND, sold! Hoping it makes it to the next Challenge!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xwGHuAzmhc7bdzbtCCdcmMLZqiJmXsfpJjv8Ai8QGWX2PcMqHK7wZbPM9ThWjlXy