1 2
SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/28/15 1:37 p.m.

Wanted to go an entirely different direction from the miata I sold...
Picked this up for a song.
(From a buddy who knows these engines well, will help for beer)

86 Ranger, 4wd, 5-speed, 2.3 turbo swap
FMIC, upgraded injectors.
Currently missing reverse lights, front turn signals, e-brake, and anything resembling creature comforts.
Short term plans revolve around driveability, possibly a small lift because truck

Fires up well when cold, doesn't like to idle warm... check for vacuum leaks, check IAC? And yes, putting the battery someplace sensible is high on the list of things to do.
(planning on mounting it to the frame underneath where it is strapped now)
My limited understanding of these sorts of things leads me to believe that venting to atmosphere, while cool sounding, might not be ideal for performance? Anything there?

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
6/28/15 1:50 p.m.

Yes!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/28/15 1:52 p.m.

I was looking at craigslist to do the exact same thing except with a newer version with a duratec.

How does it shift?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/28/15 3:29 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: How does it shift?

Shifts great!

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon SuperDork
6/28/15 3:54 p.m.

Please please please tell me you intend to put a regular bed back on it?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/28/15 4:22 p.m.

4x4, any AWD transfer cases that swap in easily?

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
6/28/15 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Esoteric Nixon:

Why?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/28/15 5:15 p.m.
Esoteric Nixon wrote: Please please please tell me you intend to put a regular bed back on it?

Not even if I had one sitting around.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
6/28/15 5:30 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote:
Esoteric Nixon wrote: Please please please tell me you intend to put a regular bed back on it?
Not even if I had one sitting around.

Good. It's cooler with out it.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/28/15 5:33 p.m.

meh.. I prefer real beds over half done flatbeds.. now if you pimp out the flatbed.. that is a different story

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/28/15 5:39 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

I'm not even sure where to start in terms of 'pimping out' a flatbed.
Not that I'm opposed to it, it's just not high on my list yet.

daeman
daeman Reader
6/28/15 6:09 p.m.

The tray back isn't to bad, though the headboard looks a bit under done. New headboard and sand and seal the floorboards and itll look great. Possibly some nice clean led tail lights to.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat Dork
6/28/15 8:05 p.m.

That would be a nice start to a cool little camping rig.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/28/15 8:31 p.m.
daeman wrote: The tray back isn't to bad, though the headboard looks a bit under done. New headboard and sand and seal the floorboards and itll look great. Possibly some nice clean led tail lights to.

Exactly, the "headboard" needs a lot done to even make it look safe. It simply looks unfinished. Underneath the truck, you need to do something with protecting other vehicles from stones kicked up by the wheels. You could either run "mudflaps" like a Semi.. or I would fashion up (or buy) some pretty cool looking aluminum fenders to go over the wheels.

I would also consider doing something with all that open space beneath the bed.. tool boxes or something go a long ways towards making it all look good

MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
6/28/15 9:04 p.m.

prepare to put a solid axle or a d30ttb from a newer ranger/exploder or a d44 ttb from a bronco/f150 under it when you kill that front d28 ttb with a turboed motor. they were barely adequate for the v6 in those trucks.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon SuperDork
6/28/15 9:30 p.m.

You guys are just weird. Trucks need beds. Next thing you guys will be telling me that wearing boots with black socks and shorts is a good look.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/28/15 11:01 p.m.
Esoteric Nixon wrote: You guys are just weird. Trucks need beds. Next thing you guys will be telling me that wearing boots with black socks and shorts is a good look.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
6/29/15 12:02 a.m.

BOV venting to atmo may only be bad if you're running a MAF. Switch to MegaSquirt and MAP and save yourself some trouble.

Fixes:

1. Plumb up a pvc cap with a connector to an air compressor on the intake plumbing and check and fix all your leaks.

2. Remove pcv valve and vent case to a catch can, same for the head...pissing oil under the hood sucks.

3. Remove the TFI module from the dizzy if it's on there...can use a heatsink from an early 90s F150 and relocate to a firewall with some wire extensions.

4. Have your injectors flowmatched or better yet get bigger ones than the stock 35 lb/hr so you can run more boost.

5. Manual boost controller

6. Change the valve cover gasket for I think one from the NA 2.3 Ranger to slow down leaks

7. Head gasket...when needed Felpro 1035...not the 8993

That's all for now

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
6/29/15 12:41 a.m.

Looks like it will be a fun project!

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/29/15 7:11 a.m.

Awesome!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
6/29/15 7:33 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote:

In this shot, it looks like you can see pavement beneath the door. I'm guessing its actually the foil stuff, but it looks like a gaping hole LOL!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/29/15 8:13 a.m.

I would like a shorter bed, but the flatbed looks just fine. I like it.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/29/15 8:48 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Dude, don't scare me like that!
No fist-sized holes in the cab.

stan
stan UltraDork
6/29/15 9:26 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: In reply to pinchvalve: Dude, don't scare me like that! No fist-sized holes in the cab.

Ha. I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. Of course that's because you really can see the driveway through there on my Ranger...

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
6/29/15 10:56 a.m.

coolant temps sensor reading cold?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pAxyTU9OuccGMu6ahD0k5xI7bEMtjHAPfGnEjS62dFm8aNiYeKHBlpXqK2zsguUl