edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
2/5/21 7:29 p.m.

Hi hive,

I'm driving my beater Cobalt back from NY state back to FL, after it was stranded in Canada during Covid. Unfortunately, it died unexpectedly while I was passing by Columbia SC. I'm 99% sure it's the alternator, as it was running strong all day, then intermittently cut in and out for a couple minutes before it dies altogether. Battery won't even click the solenoid. The towing guys was a legend, he towed it to an Autozone, waited 20 minutes while I bought an alternator and tools, and then drove me to a hotel I booked while I waited.

Anyway, I plan to change the alternator in the morning once it's light, and then get going. I would appreciate help if anyone would care to help out, just in case I'm missing something obvious. (It might be a loose connection but to my mind that doesn't explain why the battery is dead, and the interior lights etc all still work so it's not a loose battery terminal.) I'm staying at the Fairfield on the corner of I77 and Two Notch Road. Beers will be on me. If you want to lend a hand, please call or text me: Nine zero 4 four too 9 six 6 fifty-five.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/5/21 7:36 p.m.

I would if I were not in Ohio.  For anyone else, I'm just here to  vouch that Edward is a good guy.  He ran a Volvo 850R at The Challenge in the first year of the Aristocrats. He's a fun guy with an Australian accent.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
2/5/21 7:48 p.m.

In Florida, so I can't help.  Just a reminder though, if the battery was completely drained you might kill the new alternator if you try to recharge it completely while driving.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/5/21 8:06 p.m.

Sorry I'm too far as I love a little Saturday morning adventure.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/5/21 8:11 p.m.

At least looking here it doesn't look to bad. 

I'm a couple of hours away. Tied up first thing in the morning but if you run into problems changing it give me a shout. I could probably be there by noon or so. Toym a n zero 1 five four at the googles mail dot com. No spaces and the numbers are all numbers 

Or the PM system goes to that same address.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/5/21 8:23 p.m.

Sent you a PM.

Edit: Never mind.

You also might PM strike zero. He's in that area just north of Columbia. He is on the On the Road Assist List if you need a contact.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
2/5/21 8:45 p.m.

Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate the responses. I got a text from Strike Zero already. You guys are the best!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/6/21 8:48 a.m.

Back on the road yet?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/6/21 1:49 p.m.

edwardh80 is back on the road. I'll let him fill everyone in on the shenanigans.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
2/6/21 7:26 p.m.

Well, thanks to Strike_Zero, I got rolling again at 2:30pm, and made it back home about 7:30pm.

SZ showed up at the hotel at about 8, and we set about changing the alternator. Got a few quizzical looks surprise, but had it back together about 10:30. The Cobalt serpentine belt tensioner is in a dog of a tight spot, but we got it eventually. Jump started, and SZ was about to head off when it died again. Cr@p.

After scratching our heads a bit, SZ started pulling at wiring harnesses while it was running, and lo and behold it died again. It was eventually traced to a bad earth, the wire ends in that bunch corroded so bad they got brittle and all 5 just snapped off at one point. It is a Canadian vehicle so the salt up there has done a number on the wiring sad time to get rid of it methinks. We jury rigged a new set of earth wires and splinted them against the AC tubing so they wouldn't flex and break yet again, as they were so brittle. Once we were satisfied I headed off and the old girl didn't miss a beat all the way home.

My sincere thanks to those who contributed and especially to Strike_Zero, who have up a significant portion of his day to help a stranger. Without his help I'd still be stuck. The guy is a champ.

BTW, while I have y'all's attention, anyone interested in a vehicle I have for sale? devil

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/6/21 7:56 p.m.

LOL cool deal.  Glad you got home safe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H6fIWE27BrrUaNiXTKwhg96adE9bL4SZUGd5kAQ6YuNROBIJdJw4MEiwfRxZx4l3