1 2 3
unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
11/1/10 10:42 a.m.

I know, right? I can't stand that level of craftsmanship. There's no excuse for that.

And for now, this motor's staying put, provided it doesn't complain. I'll be rebuilding a new 12A for it down the road (I've got one in boxes in my closet) after I get some suspension and brake work done.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
1/12/11 8:12 p.m.

So for the first time, this car has a running engine. Between a million different obligations, I managed to find time to get the car running. Once I got a good starter in it and double-checked all the ignition wiring and timing, it lit off. Still got a leak in the intake manifold I need to make a block-off plate for tomorrow, and it should be idling safely.

The trailing ignitor is dead, though, so I'm researching whether I want to just replace it with a stock unit, upgrade to a 2nd-gen coil, DLIDFIS, or what. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
7/20/14 9:26 p.m.

So, zombie bump. You people will understand. Shortly after I made the above post, the engine coughed up a water jacket and started spewing water out the exhaust. So I said "berkeley this E36 M3" and sold it. I guess two years was my time limit for a project to stagnate at that time. About once a month I think back and wish I'd been more patient and never sold it.

Fast forward about three and a half years to last weekend, and when I was drunkenly searching Craigslist one night (that's not weird, right?) I find a blue 1985 RX-7 GS for sale in Houston. Looks exactly like mine, even down to the keychain hanging in the ignition. I text the seller, and it's a small dealer on the opposite side of town from me who just purchased it at auction. Okay, that story's plausible. Could be my car. He won't tell me the VIN over text, insists I should come check the car out.

So I let it drive me crazy for the next 24 hours or so wondering if my prodigal project is trying to come home. I can't afford another project car right now, between my E46, the wife's DD, the truck, and an old FSAE car in the garage, another project vying for space in the little 2-car garage is the last thing I need. But I can't let it go, right? What if it's my car?

I talk Mrs. Unevolved into driving to the shady dealer on our way to dinner last night, but it wasn't the car. VIN didn't match. I spent about 90 seconds on the lot before I drove off. Not quite disappointed, but still somewhat melancholy. In the back of my mind I'd hoped it had been my car, and I would have had to do something stupid like sell my E46 to make room.

Oh well. My old car's probably in a scrap yard at this point. It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't all that worthwhile, either. I just got excited thinking it had somehow survived the past few years.

Dammit, now I'm sad again.

stan
stan UltraDork
7/21/14 6:55 a.m.

I understand completely. Just saw one of my old RX7s about a month ago (now with a Mazda diesel in it!), but still rust free. It got me thinking how maybe I should have just kept it. Of course, I think that about half of the cars I've sold off...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5bbEoIZsW9J5zJAQy5Xz6Nn7kjRpIzsmIIYclOJvxl7jdTW5LTwYd2gHYOK8Zlb0