1 2
monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 10:34 a.m.

Anyone know what this is?   I recently purchased a lightly used 2020 Ford Ranger and was looking under the drivers side dash planning the install for the trailer brake controller (no longer plug and play like my last Ford truck and involves running wires to the center mount rear stop light - but that's a different rant).  Anyway, I find this mystery box / wiring where most of the connections have been spliced into the factory loom.. There is also another slightly larger black box zip tied to a section of the loom further under.

Any thoughts??

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/2/21 10:49 a.m.

That sure does not look like a factory part, there.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/2/21 10:52 a.m.

Probably an aftermarket alarm system.  Once you confirm that remove it post-haste, they are the devil..devil  If your phone has a QR code reader maybe try that to see if it links to a website or something?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/2/21 10:54 a.m.

you see what the QR code on it returns?

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 11:00 a.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

Probably an aftermarket alarm system.  Once you confirm that remove it post-haste, they are the devil..devil  If your phone has a QR code reader maybe try that to see if it links to a website or something?

Alarm / GPS tracker / or??  I agree with you - I want it gone but want to figure out what it is first.. I am guessing with the number of wires, it has the ability to disable the truck and simply disconnecting it might make that permanent.

This is the only other reference I could find online  https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/241284-unknown-part/   No answers so I turned to the knowledge base that is GRM.

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 11:03 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

you see what the QR code on it returns?

I tried with the code reader on my phone but wouldnt read it.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
9/2/21 11:09 a.m.

Also agree it's probably aftermarket alarm. I've removed a couple over the years. Try searching for an alarm to purchase on Amazon, Ebay, etc. that works on 2020 Ranger and you may find it. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
9/2/21 11:10 a.m.

Googling "QT6 autotmotive" keeps getting me this place which looks like some sort of automotive interface. Maybe with the CAN BUS?

Finding out what wires it is connected to should be enlightening.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/2/21 11:34 a.m.

Different track.  Might be worth getting a carfax report or something to figure out who sold the truck originally and where's it's been.  I wonder if it's one of those disable features that "we tote the note" lots put on cars.  Figuring out where it came from might get you in contact with who installed it and how to uninstall.

-Rob

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 11:42 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

Different track.  Might be worth getting a carfax report or something to figure out who sold the truck originally and where's it's been.  I wonder if it's one of those disable features that "we tote the note" lots put on cars.  Figuring out where it came from might get you in contact with who installed it and how to uninstall.

-Rob

I was told when I purchased it that it had been sold by the same Ford dealer and then traded back in because the person decided they wanted a crew cab instead of the Supercab.  It only has 1100 miles on it.  The Carfax might be a good investment.

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 11:43 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

Also agree it's probably aftermarket alarm. I've removed a couple over the years. Try searching for an alarm to purchase on Amazon, Ebay, etc. that works on 2020 Ranger and you may find it. 

The link I posted to the GM truck forum shows it is also on a 2016 GMC and a 2020 Subaru.  I'm thinking GPS tracking / disabling device.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/2/21 11:52 a.m.
monark192 said:

I was told when I purchased it that it had been sold by the same Ford dealer and then traded back in because the person decided they wanted a crew cab instead of the Supercab.  It only has 1100 miles on it.  The Carfax might be a good investment.

I'd head back to the dealer and talk to the service department about it.  It might be something that dealer installs on all of their cars and is buried in their purchase agreements or required to be installed by certain lenders.

-Rob

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 12:02 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
monark192 said:

I'd head back to the dealer and talk to the service department about it.  It might be something that dealer installs on all of their cars and is buried in their purchase agreements or required to be installed by certain lenders.

-Rob

Carfax doesn't really show anything - looks like it was transferred from one Ford dealer to another and first sold in March, 2021. I purchased it as a used vehicle with 1100 miles. I don't have a loan and the dealership claims they know nothing about it.  Waiting to hear if they will agree to remove it.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/2/21 12:36 p.m.

I bet it's a GPS tracker, often sold as an "add on," "required" by the dealership selling the car. If the dealership you bought it from didn't install it, maybe the one it was transferred from did it.

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/drivers-need-to-be-aware-that-some-car-dealerships-may-install-a-gps-tracker/

I would be sick to my stomach to see that kind of hacking on a factory wiring harness on any car, much less a basically new one. Those are usually installed with ugly wire taps that pierce the insulation. The pic from the thread you linked on gm-trucks shows a pretty ugly mess of taps on a beautiful delicate expensive wiring harness. Ugh.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
9/2/21 12:43 p.m.

I don't see why a GPS tracker would have a thing on the dash pad.

My first thought was "ignition interlock" Breathalyzer device

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/2/21 12:49 p.m.

I have something similar on my Subaru. 

It's almost most definitely a LoJack/LoJack adjacent device. They asked me if I wanted it activated and I told them "berkeley no". They deactivated it right in front of my eyes but didn't bother to remove it. 

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 12:52 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

I bet it's a GPS tracker, often sold as an "add on," "required" by the dealership selling the car. If the dealership you bought it from didn't install it, maybe the one it was transferred from did it.

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/drivers-need-to-be-aware-that-some-car-dealerships-may-install-a-gps-tracker/

I would be sick to my stomach to see that kind of hacking on a factory wiring harness on any car, much less a basically new one. Those are usually installed with ugly wire taps that pierce the insulation. The pic from the thread you linked on gm-trucks shows a pretty ugly mess of taps on a beautiful delicate expensive wiring harness. Ugh.

Exactly how I feel after finding it yesterday - one hacked up factory harness and no warranty coverage for any problems that arise due to the "aftermarket" accessory .

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
9/2/21 1:06 p.m.

In reply to monark192 :

Makes you wonder how much recourse you have with the dealer if these modifications were not disclosed. Of course they are probably trying to reduce it to 2/3rd of berkeley all as usual...

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 1:11 p.m.

Just saw I made the GRM Facebook feed - made me all warm and tingly

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 1:12 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I'm sure I have exactly no recourse what so ever as this was a used truck even though it  only had 1100 miles on it.

obsolete
obsolete Reader
9/2/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to monark192 :

One of the Facebook comments mentioned Karr alarm and I did a little googling. TIL: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/never-buy-car-alarm-dealership/

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Yes - here is the link they posted - looks exactly like mine with the same hacked up wiring.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/dealer-installed-alarm-hardware-found.6222/

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/2/21 2:00 p.m.

Why in the world does a dealer need to install an alarm???!!?!!?!  New cars come with alarms in them, from the factory.  Like in a way that it's pretty impossible to start the car without a key.

Makes no sense that a second alarm would be added, unless the dealer just padded their profits.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
9/2/21 2:13 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Why in the world does a dealer need to install an alarm???!!?!!?!  New cars come with alarms in them, from the factory.  Like in a way that it's pretty impossible to start the car without a key.

Makes no sense that a second alarm would be added, unless the dealer just padded their profits.

They're typically installed as part of deal with the finance company.  It's a tracker so repossession is easier.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/2/21 2:34 p.m.
alfadriver said:

because Dealers are often run by terrible people who make terrible, terrible decisions at the expense of their customers and the manufacturers alike.

Working for the company that you do, I'm sure you're aware of the animosity between the company and the dealers.  This is one of the reasons why (among many) Tesla has tried to do away with this model.  Not saying they are better, but there are some positives there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P8D4LVhsZJ4QcDKS3mawpwyZCt6GrW62nQbl7JJ1mKaahdpws1iww4P5eB4KM3lB