1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/2/21 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

Yea, it's aggravating  how dealers make OEM's look bad.    But worse that they take advantage that badly of the people who put food on their tables.

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 2:41 p.m.
APEowner said:
alfadriver said:

Why in the world does a dealer need to install an alarm???!!?!!?!  New cars come with alarms in them, from the factory.  Like in a way that it's pretty impossible to start the car without a key.

Makes no sense that a second alarm would be added, unless the dealer just padded their profits.

They're typically installed as part of deal with the finance company.  It's a tracker so repossession is easier.

If it is simply an additional alarm that's not active, its slightly more tolerable than some sort of tracking device which may or may not be able to disable the truck.  Is it geo fenced??  Can I drive to Mexico or will it shut the vehicle down thinking I am trying to flee on the non existent loan payment??

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
9/2/21 3:10 p.m.

In reply to monark192 :

One way to find out if it's geofenced or not. You don't seem to be too far from the border...

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
9/2/21 3:43 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

In reply to monark192 :

One way to find out if it's geofenced or not. You don't seem to be too far from the border...

Ideally it would shut off on a beach in Baja next to a fish taco stand selling cold beer. More likely is 100 yards over the border on the main road from a very busy border crossing...

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/21 11:20 a.m.

My 94 Branger has a mystery box behind the shin panel under the steering column.  It's a small black box that clips into the plastic shin cover... with no wires to or from it.

That one always puzzled me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LjW0SjSZVO7XsPcTUEDNpJPcnpZXPwUU7vMOvHTeILJFFPMGMMqFIuin8PNoWemD