BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
9/9/12 8:55 p.m.

My '95 is suffering from a wobbly passenger side headlight. Hit a pothole or similar and the light flops up and down. Further investigation reveals that the ball joint that connects the "lift" lever and the stubby lever on the motor has a lot of play in it. I guess that's another side effect of the PO stuffing the car under/into a bush.

Anyway, does anybody know if I can just replace that lever with its two ball joints or do I have to go hunt for a complete pop-up light assembly? Anybody got a used passenger side one cluttering up their garage?

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
9/9/12 11:14 p.m.

I am interested in the answer too. The bushing on my driver side headlight is gone. I have it zip-tied now so the lever doesn't pop off but it still bounces around a bit.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
9/10/12 1:02 p.m.

Anybody? Before I wander off and ask on a Miata forum?

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
9/10/12 1:19 p.m.

There are forums just for Miatas?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/10/12 1:41 p.m.

I may still have a spare driver's side, but I won't be able to check until tomorrow. A part like that may interchange from side to side.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/10/12 1:52 p.m.

Ask a Mazda dealer, not a Miata forum. Because a Mazda dealer can not only answer your question, but also order the part

You can order just the bushing. Mazda Competition says it's KA01-51-SD6 and it costs $2.32 if you have an account with them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
9/10/12 2:02 p.m.

I have been at the local Mazda dealer. There is a reason I tend to order parts from Arlington Mazda or Jim Ellis and ask on for advice on Miata forums .

Of course the other option would have been to check the parts diagram that some dealers kindly put online as it would have shown me that both the rod and the bushings are indeed available separately.

Nothing to see here, move along...

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
9/10/12 2:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: You can order just the bushing. Mazda Competition says it's KA01-51-SD6 and it costs $2.32 if you have an account with them.

Why didn't I think of that before? Now I just have to remember next time I order something.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
9/10/12 2:15 p.m.

Here's the parts diagram for the headlight retractor:

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=306957&ukey_make=995&ukey_model=14360&modelYear=1995&ukey_category=20270

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
10/4/12 7:17 p.m.

Quick update - the headlight motor quite a lot of play at the arm and in its gearbox so I ended up springing for a used motor. Which so far doesn't appear to have cured the problem, but a new connecting rod with the two plastic bushings is winging its way over here, too.

Unfortunately it looks like whole headlamp popup frame also has play in it, but I'll have to look at that once I took out the play from the lift mechanism.

Note to self, don't buy cars that other people stuffed into the scenery.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
10/8/12 9:57 a.m.

What a palaver, but it looks like I finally fixed the problem.

After replacing the worn motor and the rod, freed up all the adjusters that the previous owner had painted over and then adjusted the position of the stubby arm on the motor itself so that the headlight would extend fully when the motor thought it was "up", it appears that I now have a less wobbly headlight.

My guess is that the PO's failure to adjust the various moving bits such that the headlight actually sat against the stops both in up and down position just accelerated the wear in the motor and rods.

miatareese
miatareese
12/2/12 7:16 a.m.

Thanks Keith. Once again your advice has help clarify the issue. Now have a 1990 Mariner Blue that I have been fixing up. Have had the issue with the shaky drivers side headlamp for a while but could not figure out where the issue was. Well last night the headlamp dropped while driving some back roads with another Miata friend and discovered the cap had popped off the motor connection. This morning the diagrams were not helping me much and finally found this thread with your reply.

Don Reese

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/2/12 11:21 a.m.

I can't add to the Miata bits.. but I remember the 914 I had.. something got caught in the passengerside headlight unbeknownst to me. Got home, shut the car off, and went in. Next morning.. passengerside light is still up. Clean out the junk (was a piece of branch) and turn the lights on.. driver's side comes up.. passengerside goes down.. turn them off.. the process reverses.. passengerside up.. driver's down.

Had to unhook the motor from the power and cycle the lights once again to fix the problem

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/2/12 11:51 a.m.

Glad it helped, Don.

I've heard that if you repeatedly press the Miata retractor button fast enough, you can get the lights to start moving out of sync. They'll go back to normal when you stop screwing around, but it's pretty funny to watch.

car39
car39 HalfDork
12/2/12 11:56 a.m.

It's great once you get them out of synch. A lot of fun on a cool down lap and get's the corner workers laughing

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gHI3eeUe3Z38swhKmQwmKVgjvtFxDIp91VmUIziUasKNA93PUlgZtBWEEfyqo2D8