1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/22/21 7:44 p.m.

Colin's post about what car you would not take if it was free got me thinking about cars that I would over pay for. 

There are more than a couple cars that are on this list for me but the one at the top at the moment is a 1975 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 with a manual trans and the HO Pontiac 401.  Code 29 blue ext and a white interior with black carpets.

this is close  but not the correct blue  

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/22/21 7:47 p.m.

GeddesB
GeddesB New Reader
11/22/21 7:57 p.m.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
11/22/21 8:06 p.m.

If I had the time, money, and space: My neighbors slowly decaying TR250. It breaks my heart a little every day when I see it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/22/21 8:08 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Colin's post about what car you would not take if it was free got me thinking about cars that I would over pay for. 

There are more than a couple cars that are on this list for me but the one at the top at the moment is a 1975 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 with a manual trans and the HO Pontiac 401.  Code 29 blue ext and a white interior with black carpets.

this is close  but not the correct blue  

Make mine yellow with a black interior, louvers, and the formula callouts on the doors. Thats one of the ones that got away....

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/22/21 8:14 p.m.

Honest answer it would be a replacement Element for the wife. If Honda somehow made a few new orange manual SC Elements and just happened to offer me one. I would pay out the nose for it. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/22/21 8:18 p.m.

I don't know what we are defining as over-paying, but I would consider paying MSRP on either of these, if they existed:

A 4-door Veloster N

A 4-door Veloster Rspec with a Torsen

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/22/21 8:21 p.m.

Wouldn't be a car. It would be a Paul Smart Ducati .

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/22/21 8:31 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Wouldn't be a car. It would be a Paul Smart Ducati .

RIP Paul Smart 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/22/21 8:34 p.m.

In the last 12 months I have overpaid for two different original-owner rust free Texas GMT400 trucks.

Not too terribly much, but a couple of my louder mouthed buddies tend to think I overpaid on both of them. They're gaining value at a rapid rate though, so it will more than wash out in the end. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/22/21 8:37 p.m.

For me, I have a jones for a '76 Trans-Am in John Player Special livery.  Yep, a round headlight Bandit.  They're rare as unicorns but they do indeed exist.  The world never really noticed them until the following year when they went to four square headlights and then that movie Hal Needham made.  

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/22/21 8:41 p.m.

Spirit R.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/22/21 8:46 p.m.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/22/21 8:56 p.m.

Not a car but a really clean, well sorted Moto Guzzi V11 Sport with a tank that isn't swollen from ethanol fuel:

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/22/21 9:01 p.m.

BG GTR. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/22/21 9:04 p.m.

Evo wagon. They did make them, domestic market only.

The reason I thought of this, my very much not-an-Evo. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/22/21 9:10 p.m.

92-93 Accord wagon. Gold or white with burgundy interior. Any transmission. Give me AC and cruise, but manual seats. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/22/21 9:10 p.m.

My uncle bought a '65 Shelby Mustang new.  I made an intent to buy it even though I only had 50% of the money.   

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1553400

Turbine
Turbine Reader
11/22/21 9:22 p.m.

5th Generation Prelude type SH. I've always loved these things.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/22/21 9:50 p.m.

If somebody legally has a diesel Toyota J73 in the US then I'll overpay for it.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/22/21 10:11 p.m.

The 2007 MINI Convertible my ex- and I had and she sold to help fund her house renovation and reduce her portion of the monthly cost.  While my current '06 MCS JCW fills the void, there was something about that 'vert that was fun. I don't want "any" other MINI Cooper Covertible - it has to be THAT car. It was ordered to our specs and then we modified it immediately upon getting it home.  One of the few times my ex- and I agreed on a design idea.  I would overpay for this car simply because it has value to me that transcends its market value - which at this point is probably only a few thousand. 

Otherwise... I'm not really sure.  If I had more money and space, I'd overpay for a Dodge Charger and/or Demon or any number of classic or pseudo-classic cars.  But is it really "overpaying" if my willingness to pay for a certain car aligns with increasing market values?

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
11/22/21 10:44 p.m.

Low mile 1991 CRX Si.  I've got no choice but to overpay now.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
11/22/21 10:55 p.m.

Holy grail for me

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/22/21 10:58 p.m.

mk1 "Mercury" Ford Capri.  Just want one that is low rust, '74 and earlier, don't really care what powertrain or anything like that is in it.  Thinking I will start looking for one in the spring.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/22/21 11:00 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

There's a small dealer  here that usually has at least one diesel Toyota on the lot at a time. I don't know if they are the specific model you want. 

Watch his website at least for entertainment, he's always selling some interesting cars. He's into cars, and he's a good guy.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CsSg5YTonUKqLIOZoOOoJolozQvnUnxqjzSHigHtU0nZFMjYQ1rC69ponvwWF16i