1 2 3 4 5
ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/22/21 6:50 p.m.
DrBoost said:
ShawnG said:

Chrysler.

I never get the Chrysler hate. It's usually from people that have never owned one, or they know someone that had (?) a bad experience. 
i have had many Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles with over 200K miles, wuite a few with over 250K, I think 3 with over 300K. My personal best was sold with 384K. Did they need repairs?  Yup. Has my Honduh been more reliable than my ChryCo products?  Nope. And I paid the Honduh tax too!   

I've owned two. Fool me once....

I've worked on enough of their pickups to learn why I still don't want one.

I've had great reliability from my F-series trucks and Toyota cars.  I'm driving a Ford Escape at the moment, we'll see how that goes. The wife's Suburban needed a ton of work when I bought it but we're past that now.

Never owned a Honda car but the motorcycles I owned were fine.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/22/21 6:56 p.m.
billstewartx said:

i drove one... i know....

What is it?  I don't recognize the picture.

I can only think of one car I ever drove that I genuinely disliked - a Renault Alliance.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/22/21 7:14 p.m.
DrBoost said:
ShawnG said:

Chrysler.

I never get the Chrysler hate. It's usually from people that have never owned one, or they know someone that had (?) a bad experience. 
i have had many Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles with over 200K miles, wuite a few with over 250K, I think 3 with over 300K. My personal best was sold with 384K. Did they need repairs?  Yup. Has my Honduh been more reliable than my ChryCo products?  Nope. And I paid the Honduh tax too!   

Personally I have never driven a Chrysler product that wasn't a complete turd to drive but to be fair I would say the same about GM.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/22/21 7:15 p.m.

My answer pretty much anything from the Big 3 in the late 70s, 80s, 90s and early 00s (with a few exceptions).

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/22/21 7:16 p.m.

If there was one of these parked in my neighborhood, I would move. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/22/21 7:19 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Now this is just trolling

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/22/21 7:27 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

You caught me in the middle of editing to add an even more hideous example. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/22/21 7:32 p.m.

Free car is like free pizza.  Free pizza is better than no pizza. 

GeddesB
GeddesB New Reader
11/22/21 7:46 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

Any Chrysler product from the 80's......maybe even the 70's.

I had an '85 Shelby Charger I adored.  Wonderful car for a 19 year old. 

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev New Reader
11/22/21 7:48 p.m.

Christine The Car Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/22/21 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Turbo_Rev :

Are you kidding me? It's the perfect car. It fixes itself.  IT.  FIXES.  ITSELF. Yeah, there's the murder part, sure. BUT IT FIXES ITSELF !

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/22/21 8:12 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

As someone who is constantly traveling and always in rental cars this is my consensus:

- Any GM FWD made in the last 20+ years with the Cobalt SS/TC and HHR SS being the exceptions. 

- I will flatout refuse any FCA product I get as a rental now. They are boring, cheap, and there is always something wrong with them. Even if gifted one, I would refuse.

Hmmm.  I just put 2200 miles last week on a Chrysler Pacifica.  It was boring.  But not painfully slow.  It also pulled 28 mpg at interstate speed loaded with all my crap - most of the time in the hammer lane.  If there was anything wrong with it, I didn't find it.  Had 50k miles too.  I'm rarely disappointed with the FCA 3.6 vans.  I've rented a few dozen.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/22/21 9:32 p.m.

Don't misunderstand me; I like AMCs. But you need to understand...I drove one of these. Beige, with a brown vinyl roof. And a bench seat. And a six cylinder. With manual drum brakes. It was the most horrible, terrifying experience of my automotive life, and that includes putting a E36 M3 on its roof and having a Fiat 124 catch fire while I was driving it.

Worst. Car. Ever.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
11/22/21 9:35 p.m.

Any 4 cylinder commuter car that is midsized.

Or, anything rusty.  Don't even care if it's an awesome car.  

Just say no to rust.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
11/22/21 10:28 p.m.

This is another trick question to get me in trouble again, right?
OKAY, I will play!

TESLA! Or any other EV except maybe, just barely maybe, a clean Bradley GTE for the historical value.

Anything and everything else made after about 1984, and yes, that includes what I would have lusted after only a couple of years prior.
BMW, Mercedes no matter when made, only exception a 300 SLR or Gull-Wing.

Please DO send me all the Renault Fuego's, I've been looking for them as parts donors. devil

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/23/21 5:43 a.m.

This thread is more useful than the "Used Cars To Avoid" feature in that "leading consumer magazine". And way more entertaining! laugh

First time I ever saw someone begging for Renault Fuegos!

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/23/21 7:25 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Don't misunderstand me; I like AMCs. But you need to understand...I drove one of these. Beige, with a brown vinyl roof. And a bench seat. And a six cylinder. With manual drum brakes. It was the most horrible, terrifying experience of my automotive life, and that includes putting a E36 M3 on its roof and having a Fiat 124 catch fire while I was driving it.

Worst. Car. Ever.

We've agreed on a few things lately.

When they were current and I saw one on the road I'd have to look away because I'd start feeling nauseous if I didn't. That pic doesn't do it justice because that is the ugliest car ever built, and I generally like AMC products.

I would generally take anything if you paid me, even a Toyota, but I'd have to hold my nose if it was a Ford. Of any kind. From any decade.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
11/23/21 7:30 a.m.
DrBoost said:

I sorta get it.  They've made plenty of good stuff, but also plenty of turds.  And also plenty of stuff that holds up well given a good owner and a big trans cooler, but will live a short life in the hands of an average idiot.  Think about how many people claim a 46RE is guaranteed to be dead before 100k, or are on their 3rd one at 80k.  And yet I've got one with just shy of 250k on it that's still healthy. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/21 7:35 a.m.
DrBoost said:
ShawnG said:

Chrysler.

I'm with you here.  I have no love for Chrylser, but I don't hate them either.  I think when it comes to smaller cars in the last decade or two, Honda clearly makes a much better product.

I'd take a Chrysler minivan of some sort before I touched an Odyssey again.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/23/21 7:46 a.m.

I don't get the hate for FWD GM products.

They've been my go-to for inexpensive reliable transportation for the last 20+ years.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/23/21 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

The engines never need a rebuild.

By the time they're worn out, you can just buy another for less than the rebuild cost.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/23/21 8:58 a.m.
DrBoost said:
ShawnG said:

Chrysler.

I'm with the Doctor here.

My father had an '89 Grand Caravan that has something like 280,000 hard - really hard - miles on it before it finally got too rusty to be worth fixing.  Not that it needed much fixing anyway.  I had a '92 Caravan that had 100,000 trouble-free family hauler miles on it when it got killed by a rear-ender.  It was replaced by a 2000 Grand Caravan that went over 200,000 miles before it left the family and as far as I know is still going strong with its new owner.  Our 2012 T&C is low miles but basically pristine at 60,000 miles, with no service except tires and oil.

We had a pair of 1995 Neons which, other than headgaskets (which Chrysler fixed out of warranty for $100), were trouble free well over 100,000 miles each.  The Sport drowned in a puddle and the ACR I sold because I wanted something newer and nicer.  I drove the living piss out of that thing and it never gave me any trouble at all.  And Neons are the poster children for allegedly crappy Chrysler products.

I realize this is anecdotal but out of 6 Chrysler products I have had personal experience with, all 6 were perfectly fine vehicles.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/23/21 9:07 a.m.

With the 3.0, I would say no thank you and walk away. With the Iron Duke 4CYL, I would punch the person in the face and light the car on fire before pushing it off a cliff and shooting it on the way down. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/23/21 9:12 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I just finished looking at ads for a Renault R5 and a Renault Fuego, so my standards are low or non-existent.

I don't know; it seems like your standards are that you don't want merely terrible, but that you want insanely terrible and refuse to settle for mere mediocrity.

Really odd trivia: The Chrysler LH cars like the Dodge Intrepid, which have received a lot of mention in this thread, can trace a lot of their chassis design to the Eagle Medallion in the first reply - and the Renault 21 and 25.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/23/21 9:13 a.m.
DrBoost said:
ShawnG said:

Chrysler.

Had them. Trash. Had friends/family with them. Trash. The only person we knew that loved chryco's was the little old lady that drove 5k miles a year and traded in every 2 years. Even then she had a trans replaced on one and an engine on another. First gen cummins trucks that twisted the frames. Non-adjusting rear brakes on their dually's (350 and larger). 

Yeah... no. My hatred for Toyota is irrational and I know tha because a RAV4 ruined my favorite sneakers catching on fire. Chryco is rational because every experience I have had or know have been terrible. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MsZrJ1KCfvFrR2bk0FE6dkWKVjqalaC2oF3wP746XZWbfdp28FKLajohNmkLT9x2