2 3 4 5 6
kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
11/23/21 9:36 a.m.

SVT Contour. Absolute horrible piece of E36 M3 to work on in any capacity. Better have extra knuckle skin, super glue and health insurance. 

Same goes with the Ford Probe V6.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
11/23/21 9:42 a.m.

Pontiac Aztec

car39
car39 Dork
11/23/21 9:45 a.m.
QuikMcshifterson said:

2008-2014 Dodge Avenger.... I can't think of a good use for it. Not even for demolition derby. It's literally worth more as scrap.

Maybe as a gift to someone you don't actually like.

I had one as a rental.  Someone asked me what kind of car it was.  I told them it was a Dodge Revenger, because calling it the Dodge Crapcan would be too honest.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/23/21 10:05 a.m.

does the Matador above share doors with the Pacer?  because dang, that looks like a Pacer door to me.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/23/21 10:08 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

SVT Contour. Absolute horrible piece of E36 M3 to work on in any capacity. Better have extra knuckle skin, super glue and health insurance. 

never worked on a Contour, but can confirm timing belt and water pump on V6 Probe was a motherberkeleyer.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/23/21 10:24 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

I've heard that before. Is it true that an alternator is an engine-out fix?

almost talked myself into one because it was 900 bucks but I never looked at it because everyone said to run away screaming.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/23/21 10:29 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

With the 3.0, I would say no thank you and walk away. With the Iron Duke 4CYL, I would punch the person in the face and light the car on fire before pushing it off a cliff and shooting it on the way down. 

Funnily enough something like that happened to a FSJ Cherokee my parents owned.

It's was a bad car in almost everyway. My dad didn't want to accept money for it when someone wanted to buy it but they settled on something stupid low. It was gonna be a plow truck for them.

It was so terrible they rolled it off a mountain, treked down said mountain, and lit it on fire because it had to die a bit more

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/23/21 10:44 a.m.

I've never seen a truck chew up front end parts as fast as Dodge. And I'm a twin-I-beam Ford guy.

I've never had car with more electrical problems than my Jeep Comanche and I've owned Fiats.

There's nothing uglier than an Exner-era Chrysler.

Chad Kroger owns a Prowler.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
11/23/21 10:50 a.m.

Renault Le Car.  I actually had one given to me when I was flipping cars.  I fixed it, sold it, fixed it under warranty, fixed it under warranty, fixed it under warranty and finally gave to poor guy his money back and took the thing to the crusher.  In the end it cost me money.  I  don't remember how much but at the time is was a significant amount, particularly for a free car.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/23/21 11:06 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I was on a short vacation on one of our local islands and saw a LeCar in a driveway that was clearly in current use. I couldn't believe it, must be the only one.

We have a French and Italian car show locally and LeCars don't even pop up there.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/23/21 11:14 a.m.
ShawnG said:

I've never seen a truck chew up front end parts as fast as Dodge. And I'm a twin-I-beam Ford guy.

I've never had car with more electrical problems than my Jeep Comanche and I've owned Fiats.

There's nothing uglier than an Exner-era Chrysler.

Chad Kroger owns a Prowler.

Damn. That's heavy. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/23/21 11:59 a.m.

Anything powered by Otto Diesels infernal invention, unless it has more than 12 liters of displacement, and is in a vehicle that weighs over 15,000 pounds empty.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/23/21 12:09 p.m.

The dealership I worked at in the late 1980s had a LeCar in the dead line. It was a complete car, not rusty. I could probably have gotten it for $100. I could never find the keys to it.

One must count one's blessings, no matter how infrequent.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
11/23/21 12:10 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Pontiac Aztec

I disagree.  Although Aztec is a running joke among car enthusiasts, it was pretty good. My son-in-law had one for several years. It was versatile and trouble free and a good value . I will concede that the styling wasn't for everybody.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
11/23/21 3:18 p.m.

Another vote for the Chrysler Sebring. I flew into Salt Lake City in July and needed to get Provo 45 miles away from SLC. There were NO rental cars available from any of the trad rental outfits so I thought I'd give Turo a shot. Since it was only a drive to and from with no sightseeing so went for the cheapest car on the site: 2007 Sebring for 22 bucks/day. Literally the E36 M3tiest car ever besides the fact the owner did a crap job cleaning it.

It didn't make it 15 miles down the road. I stopped at a drive through for dinner and the dude in the window sez: "Um, sir, your car is smoking..."

Me: "By jove, you're right!"

The radiator had decided it was done for the day and started spewing coolant.

So I call the owner and he shows up with the Japanese version of a Sebring on a tow dolly: A Suzuki Forenza. At least the AC worked and it got better mileage than the Chrysler. Three guesses what was puddled under the Forenza when I came out of the hotel after checking in.

This was the perfect example of the adage: "The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price."

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
11/23/21 3:55 p.m.

Any flavor Volkswagen.

The varying engine codes that has been known by exactly zero customers and ending up having parts returned and other parts ordered and the sudden increase in part failure rate once anything beyond basic maintenance is done, its a time bomb waiting to consume your wallet.

I've worked on a few and they always have minimal space to work in the engine bay and hard to see if its a triple square or a torx head until you are in a position to actually work on it only to discover it is the other one.

Every coolant hose looks like an afterthought of "Hans, we don't build air cooled anymore! We need to route the coolant!!" and made of some brittle plastic that cracks if you so much as look at the coolant temperature sensor housing.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
11/23/21 4:41 p.m.
ddavidv said:

The dealership I worked at in the late 1980s had a LeCar in the dead line. It was a complete car, not rusty. I could probably have gotten it for $100. I could never find the keys to it.

One must count one's blessings, no matter how infrequent.

The Buick, Pontiac, Olds dealership I worked at in the early '80s had a Renault Alliance in the loaner fleet.  That thing was such a pile that you often didn't even have to fix a customer's car for them to be glad to get it back.  I lost track of how many times that came in on the hook before it finally want off to some poor sod at the auction.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
11/23/21 4:43 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to APEowner :

I was on a short vacation on one of our local islands and saw a LeCar in a driveway that was clearly in current use. I couldn't believe it, must be the only one.

We have a French and Italian car show locally and LeCars don't even pop up there.

I'm convinced that no matter how crappy a car there's someone somewhere who's a fan of it for some reason or another.  The guy I sold mine to loved it despite it's horrible reliability.  He was actually disappointed when I gave him his money back instead of fixing it.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/23/21 5:09 p.m.

I'm convinced that no matter how crappy a car there's someone somewhere who's a fan of it for some reason or another.

I drove Swifts, Metro's and Firefly's for 20 years and would still be doing so if there were any left

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/23/21 5:31 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Chrysler Concorde/ intrepid/ whatever else shared that horrible platform.

Here's an idea: let's put an unreasonably heavy v6 waaay out in front of the axle so the thing is so nose heavy that even thinking about the brakes makes the front drop 6", and while we're at it, maybe uncomfortable seats, steering that feels like it's made from marshmallows and coupled with telekinesis. A battery is something that people have to deal with regularly, so let's put it behind the front fender. People like road noise, right? ALL the road noise! Also, there will be no ground clearance; speed bumps will damage things, this is mandatory. And the upholstery doesn't stain, but it LOOKS stained right from the factory. Deal with it. 
Seriously, BERK whoever green lit that abortion. It's like they saw GM designing the W body, and said, "let's do that, only way E36 M3tier." "I don't know, sir, the W is pretty terrible..." "Johnson, I want to take the E36 M3tiness to 11. I want to make the general puke." Then they did. 

I had a 2000 Concorde as a company car while working a capital equipment sales job in Wisconsin and the UP.  A normal year was about 40k miles.  Yea, the seats weren't great, and I did go through a transmission at about 70k miles, but man, that was the BEST snow car ever, on regular old all season tires.  No idea why, but it was just glued to the road in slippery weather.  Replacement car was a V6 Camry that was way better in every way, except in the snow.  BTW, the UP gets a lot of snow, and my best customer was way up there, so yea.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/23/21 5:43 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

I'm convinced that no matter how crappy a car there's someone somewhere who's a fan of it for some reason or another.

I drove Swifts, Metro's and Firefly's for 20 years and would still be doing so if there were any left

I miss my Suzuki Swift GT. I wouln't mind having a Yugo. They are essentially Fiats and Fiat racing parts fit.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/23/21 5:57 p.m.

Olds Cutlass Cierra diesel.  My parents had one when I was in college, and I had to drive it quite a few times when home.  What a hateful, unreliable, slow, smoky piece of crap.  And I say that as a guy who later bought a Rabbit diesel.  On purpose.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/23/21 7:42 p.m.
APEowner said:

I'm convinced that no matter how crappy a car there's someone somewhere who's a fan of it for some reason or another.  The guy I sold mine to loved it despite it's horrible reliability.  He was actually disappointed when I gave him his money back instead of fixing it.

I used to drive by a guy's house on my way home from work, he must have had 6 or 8 Yugos in the driveway and yard.

He must have been "Yugo guy"

I have to admit, I'd have another Fiat 850 Spider, as crappy as that car was, it was fun, Italian and sounded great. Girls liked it too.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
11/24/21 7:05 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
kevinatfms said:

I've heard that before. Is it true that an alternator is an engine-out fix?

almost talked myself into one because it was 900 bucks but I never looked at it because everyone said to run away screaming.

Not an engine out fix but an "i will kill the service advisor who gave me this job" fix. Better off sticking your dick in ghost pepper sauce than to deal with replacement of a Contour V6 alternator.

Worst was catalytic converters. Subframe removal minimum just to pull out the guaranteed frozen o2 sensors. Biggest gripe with that was the subframe bolts would strip along with the threading in the body. You would basically call out sick if you found out that one needed o2 sensors. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
11/24/21 1:34 p.m.

Cars that I like enough to  own have to have reasonable performances and good handling, plus styling that I either love or can put up with.

Other than taking a car on I didn't like just to flip it out,  it would be a hard No! if anyone offered me an older American muscle car, whether it be Camaro/Firebird, or Mopar or Ford., Had them, dislike them.  A few current ones intrigue me at least a little.

Ditto for many Japanese cars (boring styling except for a very few exceptions) but Italian or British would be given a few minutes of thought in many cases.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
71wawbpWwIH7pqa00ld2PDxYGTaOuZLiCfoxQTn5jHHpZtMyER66bJHKwHnSdw5V