NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/30/20 11:01 p.m.

New schedule just came out. For the first time in over 50 years the big show will have a dirt track on the schedule!

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/30/20 11:14 p.m.

This and COTA are both going to be great shows.. NASCAR 2021 found a way to make itself relevant again..

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/30/20 11:57 p.m.

No brickyard 400 too.

Couple of tracks bumped.

Shared weekend with indycar on the road course at indy.

Cota and road America dates.

My first thought was window dressing.

But maybe you could say it's a little more than that.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
10/1/20 12:46 a.m.

Road courses? Dirt track? Somebody pretty high up at NASCAR has been reading "5 Minute Racing Stories - Cars" to their kids...Hopefully this means a street course and an ice race added to the list for next season.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
10/1/20 5:17 a.m.
Driven5 said:

Road courses? Dirt track? Somebody pretty high up at NASCAR has been reading "5 Minute Racing Stories - Cars" to their kids...Hopefully this means a street course and an ice race added to the list for next season.

Ice race.....welp, now i want an ice race.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/1/20 6:59 a.m.

My vote is to not say anything ahead of time and at the drivers meeting tell them that they are running "clockwise" today! Would love to see who or if anyone makes it through the whole race. Let's see how good the crews are at setting up the cars for a whole bunch of right hand turns!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/1/20 7:01 a.m.

I really wish they chose eldora or knoxville for the dirt track instead of putting dirt on bristol. They are gonna be fighting with keeping the track on dirt all week. 

Your gonna see the dirt boys shine, and chase elliott is guaranteed some wins with the road courses. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/1/20 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

St. Pete or Long Beach? Yes, please. (But I'd rather see St. Pete because it's a way shorter drive for us.)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/1/20 9:19 a.m.

This reads like someone misunderstood the copy. I really really hope it's real. It would be the best ever thing to happen to NASCAR.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
10/1/20 10:00 a.m.
slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/1/20 11:34 a.m.

It's a bit shocking, but I like it. They did some sprint car and late model races at Bristol with dirt on it about 20 years ago, so I suppose it's not totally unprecedented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boDtsUP8msY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZBYSYNnm-0

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/1/20 11:37 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

I really wish they chose eldora or knoxville for the dirt track instead of putting dirt on bristol. They are gonna be fighting with keeping the track on dirt all week. 

Your gonna see the dirt boys shine, and chase elliott is guaranteed some wins with the road courses. 

When running a dirt race over top of asphalt and concrete it's much harder to maintain a good service as you won't have as good of moisture etc and will be harder to keep the track in one piece. Look at events at places like super dirt week at Oswego or dirt at Mansfield you can see the track having much harder times staying together. On top of this the cup race will be in the daytime which means unless it's cloudy it will get very dusty of top of that. And that is with powerful dirt cars that are much lighter then cup cars. A sprint car is around 1500 libs dirt late models 2300 libs the various types of drt modifieds are around 2400 to 2600 libs. Lots will also depend on who Bristol and nascar bring in the prep the track. It worked fine in 2000 but that was with proper dirt cars and racing at night.

MotorsportsGordon
10/1/20 11:37 a.m.
kevinatfms said:
Driven5 said:

Ice race.....welp, now i want an ice race.

Drag racing. Nascar actually sanctioned drag racing n the 60s.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/1/20 11:38 a.m.

This is fantastic. Best news to come out of NASCAR in decades.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/20 11:47 a.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

My vote is to not say anything ahead of time and at the drivers meeting tell them that they are running "clockwise" today! Would love to see who or if anyone makes it through the whole race. Let's see how good the crews are at setting up the cars for a whole bunch of right hand turns!

The drivers would probably deal with that easier than the car builders.  It's not a simple matter to make a circle track car turn in the opposite direction without notice... 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/20 12:15 p.m.

Its going to be REALLY interesting! Im waiting to hear insiders takes on it concerning aero, safety,  etc. Seems like a radical change to me, but maybe not nearly as much as I think....

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/1/20 3:57 p.m.

RA on the schedule ... woo hoo, I finally got my wish !!!!

Agree with Brap’s comment on dirt track Bristol.  Going to be tough to keep a smooth lane on those banks plus 3400 pound cars.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
10/1/20 4:59 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

I have one of their trophies.  1/8m

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
10/1/20 5:02 p.m.

Maybe F1 will on dirt next. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/1/20 5:04 p.m.

I generally hate NASCAR but man am I excited to see those cars on dirt. Too much power + no downforce + dirt?  Should be awesome.  COTA should be good too.  

MotorsportsGordon
10/4/20 3:06 p.m.

Richard Petty isant a fan of it and insults dirt racing as a whole

https://racingnews.co/2020/10/04/richard-petty-says-dirt-track-racing-isnt-professional-as-nascar-returns-to-dirt/?fbclid=IwAR0qFXEHjjH4IaGwc4b-NDxRgI8P_yTCyZ-fSgPIMk4YVAMGwLoczREgPiE

There’s some politics involved and I don’t want to annihilate NASCAR on this. I guess I’m looking at it from an old-time deal because we spent years and years and years trying to become a professional sport.”

Years and years to get away from that stigma. But dirt-track racing is not professional, so we’re going backward. It would be like taking a professional football team and going back to play at a high school field.”

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/4/20 3:38 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Driven5 :

St. Pete or Long Beach? Yes, please. (But I'd rather see St. Pete because it's a way shorter drive for us.)

I very much doubt your boss would make you drive to Long Beach...so stop exaggerating would ya?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2tPwakL7fcOq6k5TcDnrw4i8Zf2vgoQBOYoVYrjO7lmXJ4ywpZuzuNM1YgXTahFp