RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
10/28/13 8:22 p.m.

One of the cam sprockets on my Alfa's DOHC V6 is stuck on the camshaft. It's a taper friction fit, no woodruff key. Due to it being on the rear head near the strut tower, I cannot use a standard three-jaw puller, and due to the upper engine mount being in the way I can't hammer it from behind like I did with the fronts. The cam sprocket must be removed before I can get the mount off.

I've tried hammering the sprocket from the top, blocking the cam and using the cam holding wrench to try to rotate only the sprocket, and even tried prying it off with a crowbar. No dice. I'm letting it soak in PB Blaster overnight and will also try some CRC Freeze-off tomorrow.

Any other ideas? Someone on the AlfaBB offered to lend me a cam sprocket puller, but I'd like to try to get it off myself as he will need to ship it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/28/13 8:46 p.m.

I'm thinking... Cam Sprocket Puller.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
10/28/13 10:58 p.m.

I think I'd either beat on it until it broke, or borrow the proper tool.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
10/29/13 3:52 a.m.

Couldnt you heat it up with a torch then rock it off? Without pictures we can only guess at what is possible.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
10/29/13 7:51 a.m.

I have to ask this- If you don't have the tool to properly remove the sprocket, do you have the tools required to properly retime the cams?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/29/13 10:26 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I have to ask this- If you don't have the tool to properly remove the sprocket, do you have the tools required to properly retime the cams?

I wuz wonderin' 'bout that too.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
10/29/13 11:34 a.m.

Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with. The sprocket in question is closer to the camera.

Alfa uses cam locking blocks like these for timing:

I do have a set of the timing blocks.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
10/31/13 12:29 a.m.

I ended up renting that cam sprocket puller. It's going to take a while to ship out to me. I was going to hold off until my helper/Alfa 164 expert arrived yesterday but we had to reschedule to Monday. We were going to try hammer/crowbar or two crowbars on the cam sprocket. Unfortunately, PB Blaster and CRC Freeze-Off did not work.

In the meantime, I have three of the cams off and the rear intake cam clocked so that all the valve lifters are up. Would it be safe to run a leakdown test while I wait for the puller to come in, or should I hold off until I can remove the last camshaft?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
10/31/13 6:30 a.m.

Hold off until the last cam is out.

Also, I have had to deal with tapered press fit gears in the drive units of some of the industrial vehicles that I work on professionally. In my experience, even eith a good. Puller, you still might need a torch.

Good luck.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
10/31/13 7:34 a.m.

You'll need to heat up the sprocket when installing it.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/31/13 11:21 a.m.

I think torch is the solution here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n22tJKcFoeXlpybbhMib36tCMljr9KC96Ee3aJNph7x9Ys8XWpw0zxNlaki5I9L2