whatudriving
whatudriving
11/22/11 12:10 p.m.

I just recently purchased a 1982 Porsche 928 as a project car. The car is in overall good condition but it needs a new fuel pump. I was sitting for quite some time and I want to clean the tank and maybe have it recoated on the inside. Anyone have any good shops to recommend for this type of thing?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/22/11 12:36 p.m.

My cousin works at http://www.rennsporttulsa.com/ in Tulsa; he's their BMW guy but I understand they do good work on Porsches as well.

whatudriving
whatudriving New Reader
11/22/11 1:36 p.m.

I am actually in Oklahoma City. Unless they are amazingly undercutting the people around here that is a bit of a drive for me. But deffinatelly good to know for future reference. This is my first big block car so there is going to be a bit of a learning curve as my history comes from 4cyl imports.

Oh here is a link to my restore thread on pelican parts. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/636721-new-forums-porsche.html

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
11/22/11 1:44 p.m.

Seems like a good excuse for a fuel cell

whatudriving
whatudriving New Reader
11/22/11 3:26 p.m.

Fuel cell would be nice but I am going for a factory restoration. At least for now. Once it is restored I may do some mods to it but prob wont include a fuel cell.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
11/22/11 3:28 p.m.

I remember when I was a kid my dad fixed a constant rust problem in the tank of our ATC with a coating of naval jelly. Might be a little more difficult to apply to a full size fuel tank though.

whatudriving
whatudriving New Reader
11/22/11 4:09 p.m.

Yea. I have looked into some DIY fixes for fuel tanks but I dont know what the condition of the tank actually is yet. And for this I would rather it be done by a pro as this can mess many things up in the motor of the car if done improperly.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/22/11 4:10 p.m.

First off, welcome.
I took some time and looked at your build thread. You have some work ahead of you to get to a driver/restoration. It might have been wise to start with something easier like a Maserati Biturbo but do not let that discourage you. It will be cool to have a finished car that is older than you are.

PS: what is the name of the bank your parents own?

whatudriving
whatudriving New Reader
11/23/11 8:17 a.m.

Oh I know that I have some work ahead of me. I'm not worried about that. I got this car really cheap and I dont mind spending the money on it. I am hoping that there isn't too much actually wrong with the motor/drive train but there is a lot of unknowns at this point.

Why you think my parents own a bank lol?

fifty
fifty Reader
11/23/11 11:42 a.m.

I'm in Little Rock, so you wouldn't want to use my guy. We found a shop that steam cleans radiators, mostly for 18 wheelers - they will also clean and coat gas tanks with a 1 - 2 day turn around. The cleaning was in the range of $50 - $100, and the coating was about the same again.

OKC is a huge place - i'm sure there is a place that will do it locally.

whatudriving
whatudriving New Reader
11/23/11 11:48 a.m.

I have talked with once place that will clean it for about $80 and said that coating varies depending on what needs done. Which isnt bad. Was just seeing if anyone had personal references before i take it to an unknown shop.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qVq5lRwCxi1at8N8atvglczfyLwwgdae0hwkUu6twI5csbNonnRNsnssiMkrdj4n