1 2 3
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/17/21 10:28 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Just the round part.  I don't think the 4.0l that the rangers got had the same intake manifold

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/17/21 10:47 p.m.

OK got it - should be EZ.

Price wise the only vacuum actuator they show is $20 - 2 core and they offer a guarantee if you want it.

Is that OK with you?

Also do you want 1 or 2?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/17/21 11:42 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I'll take as many as I can.  At this point all the used ones seem to be bad.  So the more I have the more likely one will be good....

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/18/21 6:43 a.m.

If you all strike out these took very similar to the activators used for supercharger bypass valves. Could you adapt one of those?  

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/18/21 9:06 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I'll take as many as I can.  At this point all the used ones seem to be bad.  So the more I have the more likely one will be good....

2 things: 1 good 1 toss up

Good - I found my Harbor Freight Vac Pump (see pic). Can I use that to test the part while on the vehicle?

So So - Rain delay until tomorrow (Sunday)

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/18/21 10:52 a.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Yes, I used the same kit.  You'll need the black 90 rubber fitting and then the black plastic nipple to connect it to the surgical hose.

when you put 5-10 inches of vacuum on the vacuum port you should see it retract the rod.  If not, it's broken....

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/18/21 11:06 a.m.

Those also look a lot like regular vacuum actuators for HVAC. Can you get one apart to get the diaphragm out? It is likely some standard diaphragm in a semi-custom housing. If nothing else, plastic welding a bracket to a newer part and a rod mod may get you to a functionaly new part.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/21 11:36 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

1997-1998 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 liter sohc 6 cylinder.

Yep, what you pictured is what I need.  Held in place with either t20 or t25 torx bolts.  It's right on top of the intake manifold once you remove the plastic beauty cover

That looks a lot like a VWAG intake manifold actuator, or cruise control actuator.

Cruise control:

Intake actuator:

Might be a good time to adapt something available, instead of still using an NLA part that apparently is usually bad when found used?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/18/21 1:29 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

I can probably take it apart but not without destroying it.  The two halves look glued together.  I'm sure it's a diaphragm failure on all of them.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/18/21 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yes, and my friend the machinist said he could do something like that using an actuator made for hvac.  He just doesn't have the time.

hopefully the new one I have on the way works. that'll then give me the time and my spare old one to use to mock up and build something that's available to purchase

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
9/18/21 1:40 p.m.

Go Mad Max style and hook a manual cable to it.  

But seriously,  there are probably hundreds of different kinds of actuators similar to that at bone yards.   Just carry the bad one around until you find something that looks like it will work.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/18/21 1:43 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to matthewmcl :

I can probably take it apart but not without destroying it.  The two halves look glued together.  I'm sure it's a diaphragm failure on all of them.

If you have several broken one sacrifice one to figure out what goes bad. Also, the diaphragm may have a part number on it.

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
9/18/21 1:58 p.m.

I wonder if one of these could be made to work.

vacuum advance cans  from Summit

Another possibility to adapt.    A turbo waste gate actuator.

This one is from a turbo diesel Ford.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/19/21 9:58 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Yes, I used the same kit.  You'll need the black 90 rubber fitting and then the black plastic nipple to connect it to the surgical hose.

when you put 5-10 inches of vacuum on the vacuum port you should see it retract the rod.  If not, it's broken....

I'll be headed to the yard today. If the storm didn't wash it away I'll see if I can find a good vac act for ya.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/20/21 8:35 a.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

How'd you make out?

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/20/21 8:40 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

How'd you make out?

I went (tool in hand), I saw, I scratched my head.

I found the vehicles you indicated. I removed a plastic cover. All were 1997-1998 Ford Explorers with the 4.0 liter sohc 6 cylinder engines. I looked at a couple ‘97 4.0 Rangers too. But all of them looked . . . not like what you pictured originally. A pic is attached so you can see what I saw.

Is the year range and or engine correct?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/20/21 8:51 a.m.

There were two 4.0 engines.  The one you see there is different, as you can tell by the intake manifold...

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/20/21 11:50 a.m.
docwyte said:

There were two 4.0 engines.  The one you see there is different, as you can tell by the intake manifold...

Interesting they had 2 different 4.0 V6s during the same time frame. Was the V6 you need available in any other vehicle?

FWIW, I'm likely going over that way again in the next couple weeks.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/20/21 12:01 p.m.

I have a 97 explorer sohc 4.0 sitting out here. No idea if the part is good but you can have it.

But as an annoyance the hood latch is broken so I need to get the hood open first. I can probably get to it in a couple days if you still need it.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/20/21 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I'll take it, the more of these I get the better.  You have a mity vac to test it first?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/20/21 12:04 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Apparently only the 97-98 Explorers have it

9/20/21 12:05 p.m.
docwyte said:

I'll take it, the more of these I get the better.  You have a mity vac to test it first?

I don't sadly.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/20/21 12:16 p.m.

I'll take it anyways, I can test it easily at my house.  Just lmk your paypal and how much you want to cover part/shipping etc

9/20/21 12:21 p.m.
docwyte said:

I'll take it anyways, I can test it easily at my house.  Just lmk your paypal and how much you want to cover part/shipping etc

I'm never gonna use it and it shouldn't cost much to ship so no payment necessary

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/20/21 12:40 p.m.

Thanks!  I tried to send you an email thru the "contact" here but it bounced back on me.  Wanna try and send me an email so I can send you my address?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w1ry7JA0dQrmsRboOz4ybrGlBAQ3vEJTZ0fqsgEv5iERlH3PceQCgaKCsSp3rlyI