Jake728
Jake728
3/1/11 9:02 p.m.

Dear reader, I am new to this forum and need a little help. The car: 1978 Mercedes SL 450 The problem: When I purchased the car it came with an aftermarket CD player, I would like to finish restoring this car to its former glory and put in the original radio. What type of radio am I looking for, where can I buy one and how do you install it?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
3/1/11 9:23 p.m.

I would check the Mercedes Benz forums first to determine what type OEM radio your vehicle takes, or maybe even a MB dealership may be able to tell you what it takes.. Also check the MB forums classified sections, Ebay, Craigslist, MB salvage yard/dismantlers and Hemmings among others for the radio. I don't think it should be too difficult to locate one. Good luck in your quest.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
3/1/11 10:23 p.m.

Dollars to Donuts you're looking for a Becker Mexico cassette deck.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
3/2/11 11:33 a.m.

I was going to say, "check the center stack," but I guess that's not what you meant.

carzan
carzan HalfDork
3/2/11 1:14 p.m.

A good place to get info and possible whereabouts of a radio for this would be the Vintage Mercedes Forum at this link. Click here.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
3/2/11 1:32 p.m.

Either a Mexico or Europa 2. The mexico is a cool radio but they are very expensive. I bought the wrong radio for my car, I got a Europa Mu which is a 2 speaker mono radio. If you start hunting you will eventually find one. The buttons on the Becker match the ones for the heater controls.

Aftermarket CD players are very sill looking in a vintage car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7y4TW8dO6oRtz0uZ4NhaXRAxmgY4LJ2Rnpi7P5EB7wLrgjWIryjOuDQyikgCHHjE