1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/5/21 9:07 a.m.
feature_image

Picking a classic car seems simple enough–just go buy an older car and then drive it, right? Not entirely.

There’s a lot of factors to consider, like what sort of aftermarket support the car enjoys, what kind of community can you rely on for help and, perhaps most importantly, whether …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/5/21 9:09 a.m.

Here's a question for everyone: Can the S2000 really be considered a classic car?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/5/21 9:20 a.m.

No Italian cars...  

Interesting to have a debate over a 20 year old Honda when nothing Italian is being suggested.  When I bought my Italian classic, it was just 23 years old at the time.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/5/21 12:32 p.m.

Yeah, Alfadriver likes that brand with the weird shifter placement but I'll say that Fiats are pretty cheap and easy to own and repair provided rust isn't (much) of a factor.  Performance is almost always superior to a British car of similar displacement.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/5/21 12:59 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Here's a question for everyone: Can the S2000 really be considered a classic car?

No. I was going to question how a car made in 2009.....11 years ago, could be considered a classic. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/5/21 1:51 p.m.

My problem isn't deciding..........it's paying. I could buy a 356 or pay off my house. The mortgage will be gone soon

A Fiat 124 or Alfa spider would be a good choice and they aren't expensive.

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
11/5/21 1:51 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

The ones made in 1999, 22 years ago, could qualify. I mean, if a C5 Corvette made the list, why not?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/5/21 1:55 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Colin Wood said:

No. I was going to question how a car made in 2009.....11 years ago, could be considered a classic. 

Old enough to deliver that analog experience, new enough to not need a restoration. Plus, don't forget, the first S2000s are now 20+ years old. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/5/21 2:33 p.m.

Mine was 47 years old when I bought it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/5/21 3:48 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Yeah, Alfadriver likes that brand with the weird shifter placement but I'll say that Fiats are pretty cheap and easy to own and repair provided rust isn't (much) of a factor.  Performance is almost always superior to a British car of similar displacement.

To me, both the Fiat and Alfa are really strong alternatives to B cars, since both have DOHC engines, disk brakes, and a 5 speed trans.  The mid 60's version of either drive pretty much like any modern alternative like a Miata, as any of them will cruise all day long on modern freeways.

But not only are those two brands not there, nor are Lancia, Maserati, or even Ferrari.  If high end other cars are there (and they are, like the Lexus LFA), pretty much any Italian marque should be there, too.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/5/21 4:03 p.m.

My state is a rolling 30 year for Classic plates. I don't think a 20 year old Honda is a classic, nor a C5.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/5/21 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

What about Jaguars?   You don't need to buy an XKE for $200,000 to attract attention. The Jaguars are very note worthy and increasing in price.  There is a 1987 XJS V12 with only 40,000 miles on it for $1500 no it's not a rust bucket or project. It's an honest 150 mph car.    In England that car would sell for £25-30,000  and steadily going up.  American prices are softer  but desirable ones are still getting $25-30,000 

Like newer?  They have some really nice stuff  around $5-10,000. That was during Ford's ownership when quality and reliability put them on top of everybody including German and Japanese cars.  

Why am I such a loyal Jaguar guy?  Because  of their value. Many owners are older and the Jaguar is their reward for a successful life . They baby them often driving only on nice days, put them up for winter, have the dealer do all the service on schedule .  Etc.  their owners often get them about the time of retirement and then they pass away. For sentimental reasons the wife doesn't want to sell and it sits in the garage neglected  but not worn out  Not rusty or torn up interior.  Just dusty and neglected.  
They intimidate the hacks because they aren't familiar with them and the dealership retired all the mechanics. 
    If you have some mechanical sense and read the shop manual it's not too hard to do the neglected maintenance. The do a careful job of detailing it.  Suddenly a dusty old car is shined and running nice.  Just about the time they go from depreciation to appreciation.  Because they tend to be beautiful and really well made.  

octavious
octavious Dork
11/5/21 6:17 p.m.

Parts for Z8s are easy to find?

And 1 of 500 LFAs are easy to find? 

I think a better article should have been Dave's top 10 cars. Lol

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/5/21 6:20 p.m.

I'm choking on the prices in that article. 

Those don't look like "first-timer" classics. They looks like investment grade classics for the advanced buyer. 

Are there really first time buyers of classics who will drop 3/4 of a million dollars for a Lexus?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
11/5/21 6:29 p.m.

I love the article. 

But at those prices, those are not cars I could introduce anyone I know to the hobby. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/5/21 7:04 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

But at those prices, those are not cars I could introduce anyone I know to the hobby. 

Miatas?  Fox Mustangs?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
11/5/21 7:35 p.m.

The hot take is that the s2000 is a product of the 90's, and is arguably the last "Golden Era" Honda. Yes, the last one rolled off the assembly line in 2009, but the f-series engine dates back to 1993, the SSM concept car dates to 1995, and the s2000 project itself was led by Uehara, who also led the NSX and ITR projects. From a DNA and technology standpoint, it's older than you'd expect.

If you had an s2000 on your bedroom wall when you were 12 in 1999, you're now 33...and possibly considering your first classic car. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/5/21 8:22 p.m.

Geez guys, I click on a thing about classic cars to see an S2000 pic.

Way to make me feel old lol.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
11/6/21 5:46 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Miatas?  Fox Mustangs?

$16,000 Miata's and $32,000 Fox Mustangs?  That's a stretch for a first timer. 

I think those 2 models belong on this list. I'm not sure those 2 specific examples do. 

I do not think those particular cars are overpriced. They are exceptional examples. But they are the kind of examples advanced collectors might want, and not necessarily good entry points for first timers interested in classics. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/6/21 5:55 a.m.

Lots of expensive cars with computers and plastic interiors.

No first gen Mustangs? Probably the cheapest and easiest classic car to own.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
11/6/21 5:55 a.m.

...and it's not just price point to me. 

The 356 as an alternative to the 911 is a perfect example for this article. Even though it's $81,000, it's clearly a rising classic of interest at a lower price point than its big brother 911. Perfect for first timers in that price point (and even has good investment potential). 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
11/6/21 6:00 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The GT-350 IS a first gen Mustang. 

But you bring up a good point. A base model 1st gen might be a better starting point for a first timer. Good intro, lower price, will hold its value, and is a reasonable stepping stone to future GT-350 ownership or building a clone. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/6/21 9:04 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

My problem isn't deciding..........it's paying. I could buy a 356 or pay off my house. The mortgage will be gone soon

A Fiat 124 or Alfa spider would be a good choice and they aren't expensive.

The prudent thing to do is always pay off your bills ( mortgage)  then save up enough to pay cash for the classic. 
  The flaw with that logical approach is you wind up past the age where you can have fun before you have any fun.  Then there is that nasty old inflation.  The point where collector cars stop depreciating and start appreciating.

Now you're chasing a price. With plenty of other things to do with your money.  The house needs updating and there is a vacation that beckons.  You can always fatten your retirement account and suddenly your in a senior citizen's retirement community with nothing to remember but a well balanced spread sheet.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/6/21 9:13 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The GT-350 IS a first gen Mustang. 

But you bring up a good point. A base model 1st gen might be a better starting point for a first timer. Good intro, lower price, will hold its value, and is a reasonable stepping stone to future GT-350 ownership or building a clone. 

Great point. However Fords while fun tend to have a spotty  record as an investment.  Not just Ford's, every common car.   For every Mustang GT 350 there are plenty of Fusion , Flex, Fiesta etc. 

Look at Jaguars record as collector cars though. Even ordinary 4 door sedans seem to attract a point where they rapidly appreciate and achieve collector status. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/6/21 9:19 a.m.

...and it's not just price point to me. 

The 356 as an alternative to the 911 is a perfect example for this article. Even though it's $81,000, it's clearly a rising classic of interest at a lower price point than its big brother 911. Perfect for first timers in that price point (and even has good investment potential). 

I thoght 356s were worth waaaaay more than 911s.  Interesting.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6qTSPjGy0rl8Z41EctQJcEJE4W6pL8yJqN8d69phIbxXlNiqmxyzA38BrpVv1Mp2