1 2
Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/24/19 5:18 p.m.

Just to follow up and thank all for your help. The engine was toast! Luckily I was able to find a 15k mike engine for $300 locally. It should go back in over the weekend and with a little luck be running again by next week. 

Then it will be for sale! Anyone want a Fiesta with 15k on the motor!smiley

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/25/19 1:24 p.m.

What did the toast consist of ?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/25/19 1:49 p.m.
iceracer said:

What did the toast consist of ?

+1

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/25/19 2:18 p.m.

+2 I would like some forensics just for curiosity.

tyronejk
tyronejk New Reader
1/25/19 2:35 p.m.

+3, pictures of the original engine would be nice

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/25/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

Hatchback?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/25/19 3:26 p.m.

Standard 1.6L or the 1.6L SFE for super fuel economy?  

Auto or manual? 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/25/19 8:03 p.m.

By toast, I determined that the rings were shot. Even with adding oil in the cylinders, there was no compression. With the new engine being so cheap, I haven’t bothered to do an autopsy. 

I’m pretty sure it is the standard 1.6l, but then I didn’t even know there was another option.  It does have the Power shift auto. 

The car is a 4 door with the hatchback. Body and interior are in good shape. No rust or damage that I am aware.

here is a pic of the original motor and trans.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/25/19 9:06 p.m.

I  can’t just leave you hanging! I’ll do a postmortem when I can and pass it along. I know the motor was overheated! (A detail I got well after I started the diagnosis!) there was no water in the system when I pulled the lower hose.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/31/19 7:46 p.m.

It runs!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/31/19 9:03 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

No coolant, I believe that is dry toast!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/31/19 9:10 p.m.

Haha! Burnt for sure!

grover
grover HalfDork
1/31/19 10:28 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

We need details!! 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
1/31/19 10:44 p.m.

Can I upload a video? I recorded the first start. 

I ended up replacing the entire engine with a 15k mile one I found locally. I haven’t torn apart the original engine yet, but in addition to it having zero compression, there was at least a half quart of oil in the air box! I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how all that oil blew through the intake!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
2/1/19 9:55 a.m.

Well, I still haven’t done the Ford post Morten, but since you are all hungry for CARnage, I thought I’d show you some picks of the LS6 that I bought for my Lotus project.  The guy that I bought it from, said that it had a “slight bottom end noise”! I’ve had experience with ls1’s being starved for oil, so I assumed it might need the crank turned. Not so much! The noise was 2 broken connecting rods and a piston that broke through the cylinder sleeve and was Jammed at a 45degree angle! 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
2/1/19 9:59 a.m.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
2/1/19 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

And being a Chevy it probably still ran!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
2/1/19 11:00 a.m.

Yeah. The knocking sound was almost gone!smiley

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
2/4/19 10:16 a.m.

Not as dramatic as I expected but looks like the middle 2 pistons aren’t in their original shape! Otherwise the bores don’t look too bad. If anyone has any use for any leftover parts, they are free to a good home! Pick up only!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/4/19 10:50 a.m.

I once got a SBC  hot enough to melt a piston, it would still run , very poorly.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YFmrHXlyesCJzeHE34enEpwckiVfSIJoifUrvcVVLqZnsvQyCsTg2xWHV7vrBHIz