Jvella36
Jvella36 New Reader
6/19/20 1:58 a.m.

So I changed the timing belt and im still not convinced that the timing is good because the markings look different when looking at them from a different view, can someone confirm if these are good? I rotated the crankshaft multiple times and had no problems but maybe because its a non interference engine

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/19/20 7:45 a.m.

Looks good to me. Your shots looking straight on show things lined up properly.

sergio
sergio Reader
6/19/20 8:51 a.m.

I don't see the mark on crank pulley. The guide washer is covering it, on some engines the keyway is not TDC. The cams look right.  

Jvella36
Jvella36 New Reader
6/19/20 2:09 p.m.

In reply to sergio :

Its in the first picture, here it is also aligned with the 0 on the cover, though the cams moved a few mm's after I installed the tensioner.

APEowner
APEowner Dork
6/19/20 2:54 p.m.

One of the mental cross checks I use is to picture each element moved a tooth.  You can see where the next tooth is on the belt so it's pretty easy to do.  There are a bunch of engines where things don't look quite right when they're installed correctly but it's obvious that moving a whole tooth would be much worse.  Using that test on your engine.  Particularly in the last shot it looks like you're bang on.  What engine is that?  I don't recoginse it.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/20 11:20 a.m.

Looks good to me. I pretty much never see all the marks line up 'exactly' when doing timing belts. As you mentioned, just the tension on the belt will move things. Just remember that the margin of error is 'one whole tooth' and if you know that where you're at is a lot closer than you would be if you moved the pulley one whole tooth, then you're in the right place already!

Jvella36
Jvella36 New Reader
6/20/20 1:36 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Good to know then it should be fine :) 

It's a Toyota engine, 1JZ GTE VVTI

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
6/21/20 9:22 a.m.

I'd say you have a fairly good chance of being fine....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VvpLJ1UKSElm8LUCnTKkSMFJWwRnxzyQwwkVibbypoKpaCeQ18Sdeo3x0ULPbwf8