BattlePope
BattlePope New Reader
1/22/13 2:28 p.m.

Hey guys,

So, I'm going to be replacing the half axle (front left) as well as the wheel bearings on my 1994 Geo Prizm. I've never done this before and my car knowledge is pretty limited (the most I've ever done on a car is change a tire and replace the battery). I was hoping that you guys could possibly point me in the direction of some good, illustrated guides on how to replace these parts. One nice thing is that I'm going to have access to a full garage (e.g. lift, pneumatic wrench, etc.).

Also, what parts am I going to need exactly? I'm going to the auto parts store tomorrow but want to call ahead to make sure they have the parts that I need before I go (it's an hour away). I know I'm going to need a half axle, obviously, but what else will I need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/22/13 3:47 p.m.

Doing the brakes at this time may be a good idea if they are close to used up. Autozone has illustrated repair guides. You will need a high quality 1/2" drive 200+ ft lb capable torque wrench for properly tightening the axle nut, any 1/2" torque wrench will do for the hub bolts and lug nuts.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
1/22/13 3:57 p.m.

Big socket for the nut. BFH and a drift for getting the axles out of the transmission.

Buy a new axle, not a reman. They almost cost the same. Get some transmission oil, as that's going to come out.

Is there something wrong with the wheel bearings? I've got a 97 Camry with >210K on it and a 88 Rolla with >230 on it and the wheel bearings are just fine. I hope that isn't a "while I'm in there..." thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VsxfAIxA7GRCiuxGDU612vejOpAxREGWt7anGyE2hc1Tt7RHje3g8vBnCocXLrPV