rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
10/5/22 7:51 p.m.

I need parts for the Jag that I recently got, and I found a smoking deal on pair of parts cars.  The cars are located about an hour from me, and the place I'm going to store them is about a half hour the opposite direction.  I had someone lined up to haul them with a gooseneck trailer in one trip.  Now he is telling me that they won't actually fit on there together.  I would really love to get them in one shot rather than have to make 2 trips, but I'm not sure how.  What do you guys think is the most efficient way would be to move 2 cars 75 miles?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/5/22 7:55 p.m.

In reply to rustyvw :

2 trucks and 2 trailers or 1 big long trailer. 

When I lived in Texas I would see a Honda Pilot flat-tow a Honda Odyssey that's flat-towing a Rav4...

Where are the cars and where are you storing them? 

We're both in VA, if the cars or storage are in northern VA I'll help you move them. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
10/5/22 7:59 p.m.

Don't some rollbacks have wheel grabbers on the back to haul two at once??

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/5/22 8:09 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Don't some rollbacks have wheel grabbers on the back to haul two at once??

yes. But that gets expensive, for moving parts 75 miles. 'Course all options could get kinda expensive. 
There are goose neck trailers long enough, but ya don't see one often. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/6/22 12:21 a.m.

Uhaul and car hauler.   One in the box and one on the trailer!

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/6/22 1:02 a.m.

Philip J Fry has the Miata to your problem

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/6/22 7:49 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

The Answer might fit. Not sure a jag will. Not sure, though!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/6/22 8:03 a.m.

Nothing specific to add here, except that as the owner of a 1966 Jaguar 3.8s and living not too far from northern VA, keep in touch. wink

Any pictures of these beauties?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/6/22 8:12 a.m.

Congratulations and commiseration. You have the common Jaguar disease.  One Jaguar and 2 parts cars. Soon to be more.  
  We have a secret message board we keep of all such afflicted persons.   
   Eventually you'll be invited to our meetings much like alcoholic anonymous.  
 Hello my name is Frenchy and it's been 3 years since I last bought a Jaguar.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/6/22 9:14 a.m.

AAA Gold package 

Previous AAA chatter

Most importantly, the towed car will have to be wearing a valid plate.  My state doesn't have inspections. If your state does, I'm not sure if AAA will tow a car with expired inspection sticker. 

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
10/6/22 9:06 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

This is the better of the two.  The bodies are bad, but there are a ton of good parts.

This is the better one.  The other has a bush growing around it.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
10/6/22 9:24 p.m.

First off, those bad bodies could make for some amazing wall art.  Don't discount their value to someone else.

This problem is a simple equation.  You get cheaper or all in one shot, not both.

If it were me, I would rent a uhaul trailer and make two trips.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/6/22 9:43 p.m.
Loweguy5 said:

First off, those bad bodies could make for some amazing wall art.  Don't discount their value to someone else.

This problem is a simple equation.  You get cheaper or all in one shot, not both.

If it were me, I would rent a uhaul trailer and make two trips.

Amen to that.  75 miles one way is 150 round trip between loading and unloading figure 3 hours each way times 2 is a nice Saturday job.  Easier if you have a buddy to help. But I've done that enough times on my own to understand it's doable.  
  The chrome parts will have an eventual market.  Sheet metal not rotted will have another market and any mechanical will find its own market but take longer.  
  As for wall art for a Man Cave you can just remove the rusty bits solder or just patch holes, paint and hang it on a wall.   Major market for that especially that front end.  

Spitsix
Spitsix HalfDork
10/7/22 9:25 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

That's what I used

volvoclearinghouse
10/8/22 9:58 a.m.

In reply to rustyvw :

MarkII?  Man that's pretty. Either of the parts cars have titles?  Might be some market for them for a custom job. 

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
10/8/22 7:14 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

They both have titles.  Tell me about this custom job please.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/9/22 11:47 a.m.

In reply to rustyvw :

Where are the cars and where are you storing them? 

We're both in VA, if the cars or storage are in northern VA I'll help you move them. 

volvoclearinghouse
10/9/22 7:41 p.m.

In reply to rustyvw :

If someone were thinking of building a hot rod, for instance. Some sort of custom car. A Jag roller would be hard to beat. Or even just Jag body panels to paste onto some other chassis. 

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
10/9/22 7:48 p.m.

They should be getting moved tomorrow.  It wasn't cheap, but I would rather have a pro do it.  I should have some parts going up for sale soon.  If anyone needs parts, let me know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hT2xrm8iCW8mHAzfvYrRMtGFVrxzgZm08jFbLjC2wxOPskLpYYq4XkkWt9e0R0ST