1 2 3 4
stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
4/19/21 2:55 p.m.

The 4 door wagon variant is the version I would get as well. 

If I remember correctly, the version I drove was the pre-refresh version (short snorkel, no A/C and the non turbo 6.5 GM diesel). It was hot, slow and loud. I distinctly remember the gas pedal was very stiff to push down. We took them through a "non-official training course" which was a 2 track trail cut through the brush on the back side of the base. That was a fun day at work laugh

Sometimes I daydream about buying a ratty 2 door with no top or doors on one of the government auction sites, spray bombing it and driving it everywhere with no berkeleys to give.

MrChaos
MrChaos UltraDork
4/19/21 2:58 p.m.

i imagine a 350 pulling 7500-8500lbs of vehicle plus 4500-6k of car + trailer will be a dog, though tbh the 6.2/6.5 diesel are dogs as well.

seadoorider
seadoorider New Reader
4/19/21 4:05 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to WillG80 :

Thanks. Yes some came from factory with 350 5.7L 

my two requirements were: 

• hard top wagon 
  • Petrol motor 
  • normal colour
  • stock 
  • two owners or less 
  • all records 

the combo above has been hard to find 

My two requirements were....lists six things lol. That's about right for around here.  Looks like you nailed it though. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/19/21 4:10 p.m.
seadoorider said:
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to WillG80 :

Thanks. Yes some came from factory with 350 5.7L 

my two requirements were: 

• hard top wagon 
  • Petrol motor 
  • normal colour
  • stock 
  • two owners or less 
  • all records 

the combo above has been hard to find 

My two requirements were....lists six things lol. That's about right for around here.  Looks like you nailed it though. 

Sorry doing it on the fly on the phone :) 

Had 3 Land Cruiser and Int Scout leave yesterday and today - thus dealing with drivers and transport. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/19/21 4:11 p.m.
MrChaos said:

i imagine a 350 pulling 7500-8500lbs of vehicle plus 4500-6k of car + trailer will be a dog, though tbh the 6.2/6.5 diesel are dogs as well.

I didn't buy it to tow anything. I am sure it is slow. I am sure it will never get to 60mph. I am ok with all of that :)

When I look at myself in the miror, i know I am a dog. I managed to find friends, neighbors, and a wife! Imagine that. So I am ok owning dogs :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/19/21 4:12 p.m.
stanger_mussle said:

The 4 door wagon variant is the version I would get as well. 

If I remember correctly, the version I drove was the pre-refresh version (short snorkel, no A/C and the non turbo 6.5 GM diesel). It was hot, slow and loud. I distinctly remember the gas pedal was very stiff to push down. We took them through a "non-official training course" which was a 2 track trail cut through the brush on the back side of the base. That was a fun day at work laugh

Sometimes I daydream about buying a ratty 2 door with no top or doors on one of the government auction sites, spray bombing it and driving it everywhere with no berkeleys to give.

Yeah I dislike the convertible and I dislike the truck version. Wagon was a must for me. This has fully cold A/C. 

Come and drive mine anytime. Anyting I own - any GRM can drive and enjoy while here. I have hosted quite a few GRM, and will continue to do so and spread the good karma

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/19/21 4:14 p.m.

Two nice things happened today:

1) the worlds premier H1 expert, Mike Sabbarese at Tustin Buick is 40 minutes from me. Excellent! If I ever need anything, I can pick his brain.

2) Contacted Predator Inc and couple of people. Every one seems to want my 20 inch wheels and tires. Maybe I am a moron? (well I know that already). They are all willing to buy my wheels/tires and sell me OEM stock wheels and tires. OEM 16s  + tires seem to be commanding 1300-1600$ on open market. 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
4/19/21 4:26 p.m.

At some point way back when, perhaps before he was the Governator, the Governator was converting these things to have LT1s from C4 Corvettes (or maybe Camaros, depending upon the year he was doing this).  This is back when he pretended to be into cars, and he made people think that he would be good for easing CA's smog rules.  He learned otherwise when in office; on a positive note, that state (and Vegas) sure has cleaned up its air a lot since the 1990s . . .

The weirdest thing I found riding around in an H1 was the astounding lack of interior room (at least in front).  That and you need an amplifier to speak to the passenger, with a telescope to see him/her.  Great car for a blind date!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/19/21 4:28 p.m.
rustomatic said:

That and you need an amplifier to speak to the passenger, with a telescope to see him/her.  Great car for a blind date!

Sounds like perfect fit for my life :) 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/19/21 4:40 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Stampie said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

If you want those typelook for your local military surplus tire place. I can buy military wheels for $25 each with the run flat insert. 

Thanks! If you have a link let me know 

I am looking for normal wheels - and tires 

don't need the 20s the truck  has 

Factory military would be 16.5.  My guy here hardly deals with the public.  He takes the tires off the rims and sells the tires to the off road shops around town.  I just happen to drive by his warehouse one day when his doors were open.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/19/21 5:14 p.m.

That's a very reasonable life choice. No matter what, it'll do 55mph. Wont do much more, but there's not much that will make it do less. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/19/21 5:28 p.m.
Mndsm said:

That's a very reasonable life choice. No matter what, it'll do 55mph. Wont do much more, but there's not much that will make it do less. 

Thank you sir.smiley

Given I drive a FJ60, 55mph and 10MPG will be welcome additions in my life ;)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/19/21 5:30 p.m.
Stampie said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Stampie said:

If you want those typelook for your local military surplus tire place. I can buy military wheels for $25 each with the run flat insert. 

Factory military would be 16.5.  My guy here hardly deals with the public.  He takes the tires off the rims and sells the tires to the off road shops around town.  I just happen to drive by his warehouse one day when his doors were open.

Wish I lived in FL. Around here, not seeing what you are seeing. 

Saw this, hes local to me: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hummer-H1-or-HMMWV-Wheels-Package-4-BFGoodrich-Baja-TA-D-rated-37x12-5x16-5/184664917052?hash=item2afee3043c:g:WfYAAOSwby9gKZIi

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
4/19/21 9:18 p.m.

Congrats UnsafeMotors.  I don't typically see many good deals on BAT these days but this seems like an exception.  I don't think you overpaid by a penny!

HT 383 should be almost a dead drop in.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/crate-engines/small-block-engine/ht-383

444 lb-ft

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/19/21 9:21 p.m.
Mndsm said:

*cough*

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/19/21 9:28 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

HT 383 should be almost a dead drop in.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/crate-engines/small-block-engine/ht-383

444 lb-ft

Intake manifold choices are limited, though, because of the very VERY short height under the windshield.

For a frame of reference, the bottom of the oil pan is higher than the floor.  The valve covers are higher than the driver's seat.  Hell, higher than the driver's knees.  And the engine is under the windshield.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/19/21 10:09 p.m.

Have to share a story but I'll try to keep it quick.  It's about the limits of an H1 and how to get it stuck.

A friend of mine and I took a camping trip with some friends in his H1.  We ended up in around the Salton Sea.  We decided to take the beach as far as we could around the sea.  What we didn't know was that the "beach" is a thin salt crust that covers that black pudding muck.  The first few miles were uneventful until we decided to stop and look at something.  We slowed down and turned which caused us to break through the crust.  We now had an H1 with the frame sitting on the crust and the tires buried in pudding.

He spooled out the winch and with the entire cable extended plus a recovery strap, we were able to wrap around some trees on "real" ground.  The winch simply pulled the trees over.  We slept on the roof that night and awoke to some dirt bikes coming up the beach.  They offered to take Mitch back to "town" where they found a guy with an excavating business who brought a backhoe to be an anchor... which we promptly pulled in and got it stuck as well.  He then went back and got a bulldozer which ripped the winch off the front of the Hummer.  Someone else showed up with a snow cat, but it lacked the power and weight to do any good.

We spent another night on the roof.

The next day I awoke to find Mitch talking to another guy on a 4 wheeler who was shooting a potato gun for kicks.  They hatched the idea to contact Los Alamitos JFTB and ask if they wanted to do a "practice hummer extraction."  1 hour later there was a Chinook CH47 hovering over our location with some guys hooking up shackles.  They lifted and moved it about 100 yards off the beach to solid ground, disconnected, and disappeared.

We were stunned.  A few years later I watched Finding Nemo and this scene reminded me of what happened that day.  It was like someone came from nowhere and solved a problem that we fought for two days in the blink of an eye, and vanished.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/20/21 12:23 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Great story! My farm isn't far from where you were stuck ! 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/20/21 12:23 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Thanks! I am looking forward to it :) 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/20/21 11:40 a.m.

For those who want my elise on roof 

looks like totally possible 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/20/21 12:22 p.m.

Man you and I want the same cars. Did not even know that popped up for sale. that is a good one. I even like the rims and tires. 

But I really want a diesel, rag top that has a beat up body so I can just bash around in the dessert and tow my trailer around California at 60. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/20/21 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Day 1 reminded me of the tree winching scene from Fury Road.

As for day 3, from speaking with a friend who was in the military, HMMWVs offered many opportunities for recovery practice.  None of his stories involved helicopters, though!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/20/21 4:25 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Man you and I want the same cars. Did not even know that popped up for sale. that is a good one. I even like the rims and tires. 

But I really want a diesel, rag top that has a beat up body so I can just bash around in the dessert and tow my trailer around California at 60. 

You are my richer, better looking twin. 

Mine will get bashed up in the desert. However, I am too OCD to have something that looks bashed up :) 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/20/21 4:36 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Stampie said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Stampie said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hummer-H1-or-HMMWV-Wheels-Package-4-BFGoodrich-Baja-TA-D-rated-37x12-5x16-5/184664917052?hash=item2afee3043c:g:WfYAAOSwby9gKZI

It's been a few years and pre covid prices but he was getting $100 per tire and the rims were waste to him so that's why I got them so cheap.  The local shops would resell the tires from him at $150.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/20/21 4:41 p.m.
Stampie said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Stampie said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Stampie said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hummer-H1-or-HMMWV-Wheels-Package-4-BFGoodrich-Baja-TA-D-rated-37x12-5x16-5/184664917052?hash=item2afee3043c:g:WfYAAOSwby9gKZI

It's been a few years and pre covid prices but he was getting $100 per tire and the rims were waste to him so that's why I got them so cheap.  The local shops would resell the tires from him at $150.

Yeah I need to do a bit more research. I can get the local wheels + tires $1400. But tires are 9 years old 

The 2 piece Hutchinson OEM wheels are $4500-$5000 no tires

Dick Cepek wheels that everyone runs seem to be $1800-$2200

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AT8AMD2l0KPYWJKMlDejGMdZPw9v5rEPYVp6IGjtquDcuAEIwdScEobRgssgL90u