1 2 3
xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/16/16 1:53 p.m.

Holy crap!

640HP/640tq. with a 6-speed manual, or a 10-speed automatic

Haven't seen this new ZL1 discussed here yet. These pony car wars are getting ridiculous. Ludicrous even. In the best way possible.

In the constant back and forth and upping the ante, it makes you wonder where Ford will set the bar with the GT500 or whatever they bring as their forced induction response.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/16/16 2:02 p.m.

Meh, looks like butt.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
3/16/16 2:05 p.m.

10 speeds? That is silly.

Also, I can hear (all) people (journalists, present company excluded) saying, "Dodge was making 67 hp more 2 years ago!" Such fun.

Come to think of it, that might be the reason that we haven't seen a GT500 yet as it "needs" to be able to win the pissing match.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/16/16 2:12 p.m.

Stay tuned for videos of owners punting these into inanimate objects as they attempt to show just how Ken Block they can be with all that POWAR under their right foot.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
3/16/16 2:14 p.m.

Maybe Ford will just go balls-out and make a 1000 HP twin-turbo and call it the GT1000. That's my vote.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/16/16 2:14 p.m.

That new front grille is a disaster, and the whole thing has too many creases now. It looks like the previous model started abusing steroids and now it's 'roid-raging.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/16/16 2:17 p.m.

My fast car is now officially underpowered and slow.

STM317
STM317 Reader
3/16/16 2:19 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: In the constant back and forth and upping the ante, it makes you wonder where Ford will set the bar with the GT500 or whatever they bring as their forced induction response.

Well, the last GT500 made 662hp out of 5.8L, so I'm not sure Ford will need to do much to win the hp war with Chevy. The Hellcat will probably be their target if they decide they have to be the hp kings.

STM317
STM317 Reader
3/16/16 2:23 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

640hp and 650 sq inches of grille

Although, maybe it's needed since it's basically the Z06 engine (which have been known to overheat on track) in a heavier, less aerodynamic car.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/16/16 2:26 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Maybe Ford will just go balls-out and make a 1000 HP twin-turbo and call it the GT1000. That's my vote.

You mean something like this?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/reviews/a18085/2012-shelby-1000-1/

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/16/16 2:43 p.m.

All production versions have been already pre-ordered by non-well-endowed middle aged men to park next to their lifted mall-crawler Jeeps and poser Harleys.

EDIT: Come to northern Virginia and you'll see I am spot-on with that statement...

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/16/16 2:46 p.m.
irish44j wrote: All production versions have been already pre-ordered by non-well-endowed middle aged men to park next to their lifted mall-crawler Jeeps and poser Harleys.

Here have a Snickers:

You get like that when you're hungry.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/16/16 3:25 p.m.
RossD wrote:
irish44j wrote: All production versions have been already pre-ordered by non-well-endowed middle aged men to park next to their lifted mall-crawler Jeeps and poser Harleys.
Here have a Snickers: You get like that when you're hungry.

Get off my lawn with yer peanuts coated in chocolate. Chocolate should never have peanuts in it!!!!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/16/16 4:12 p.m.

Muscle cars are pretty neat right now. A base Mustang or Camaro is within a few dollars of Miata money (completely different cars but work with me) If you want to go Dodge then Challenger is a bit more and you can even go into four doors with the Charger. From there you start ticking boxes until you end up with things like the Hellcat or the GT350R or the ZL1. Plus convertibles.
There really is an muscle car for everyone. I really didn't see this coming 20 years ago.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/16/16 4:41 p.m.
RossD wrote:
Here have a Snickers: You get like that when you're hungry.

Might as well have a snickers on hand for when the engine needs to cool down after a parade lap with that front opening.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/16/16 4:48 p.m.

I'm glad they did it butt lookin' or not but what isn't butt lookin' anymore the first time ya see it.

smokindav
smokindav New Reader
3/16/16 4:55 p.m.

I assume it's blown? And they show a picture of it on a race track. How many laps before it overheats and goes into derate?

Oh and the new Camaro looks just like that old one to me. Redesign fail.

logdog
logdog SuperDork
3/16/16 5:06 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: These pony car wars are getting ridiculous. Ludicrous even.

One step closer to Plaid!

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
3/16/16 6:38 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Muscle cars are pretty neat right now. A base Mustang or Camaro is within a few dollars of Miata money (completely different cars but work with me) If you want to go Dodge then Challenger is a bit more and you can even go into four doors with the Charger. From there you start ticking boxes until you end up with things like the Hellcat or the GT350R or the ZL1. Plus convertibles. There really is an muscle car for everyone. I really didn't see this coming 20 years ago.

It really is a bit of a modern heyday. Hell, just over ten years ago the Camaro was dead and gone for good it seemed, Dodge hadn't made a proper muscle car in over 20 years, and Ford was basically still rocking the fox chassis, dating all the way back to the 70s. While I'm not the biggest fan of the new Camaro's styling, and all three are a bit on the porky side, the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro would all be high on my list if I were shopping for a new car. Along with the ND

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/16/16 6:50 p.m.

So much hate

markwemple
markwemple Dork
3/16/16 7:01 p.m.

At the end of the day it's still a Camaro. That's not a compliment.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
3/16/16 7:06 p.m.

At the end of the day, it's still a pretty awesome piece of hardware. Haters gonna hate.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/16/16 7:15 p.m.

If you had asked me in high school if we'd ever see the muscle car wars again, I'd have told you "berk no, the imports have taken over and are here to stay. The only real muscle cars we're ever going to get are the ones we build and restore. "

I'm glad I was really wrong.

Even though I'm not their target market, it makes me damn proud of America that we've got the opportunity to buy E36 M3 like this with a warranty.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/16/16 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

And that 640 HP is EPA legal. Until some goob pulls the cats out of it for no reason.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
3/16/16 8:04 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Meh, looks like butt.

Makes sense. Goes like stink.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NvVr71S3yDkCxpQuvy0FGEj08hKbDn5qtskAfjvhvgs66Jnkn9GeaIlg9O5Xpw0k