1 2 3 4
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/16/16 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Nick (LUCAS) Comstock:

And gets better gas mileage than my 200 HP truck, or 400 HP duster, or comparable to my subaru wagon.

It's not my choice in style, but absofrigginglutely amazing.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
3/16/16 8:17 p.m.

It will be fast; we will see owners do dumb stuff; others will be bought and parked "as an investment". When I first read about these super pony cars I was really afraid of the day I had to instruct one on track. I haven't seen one yet.

JimS
JimS New Reader
3/16/16 8:37 p.m.

Not a hater. Drove z28 for 9 years as a daily driver. Numbers aren't everything. Ugly as can be inside and out.

chriswadsworth
chriswadsworth New Reader
3/16/16 9:15 p.m.

4000LB. cars are called sedans and trucks. Why cant all of this great equipment be put into something BRZ sized (or better yet Miata sized) Even a Fox sized Mustang with this kind of set up would be a breath of fresh air. I am fascinated by the GT350 and R but this and the Hellcat are lost on me.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/16/16 9:16 p.m.
smokindav wrote: I assume it's blown? And they show a picture of it on a race track. How many laps before it overheats and goes into derate? Oh and the new Camaro looks just like that old one to me. Redesign fail.

Are they having cooling issues with the Z06 on track? I've only heard good things about them from owners who track them. It's the same motor after all.
The last supercharged (only 556hp, so weak) engine that they threw in everything was lovely on track for 20-25 minute sessions in my V Wagon, and that's the heaviest car they put it in.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/16/16 9:27 p.m.
chriswadsworth wrote: 4000LB. cars are called sedans and trucks. Why cant all of this great equipment be put into something BRZ sized (or better yet Miata sized) Even a Fox sized Mustang with this kind of set up would be a breath of fresh air. I am fascinated by the GT350 and R but this and the Hellcat are lost on me.

It would be tough to fit all that stuff and the necessary cooling gear in something like a BRZ and maintain good weight balance while doing it. And if you take a fox and make it meet all the modern safety standards, then boom, you're right back to a current Mustang that weighs 3600-ish lbs.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/16/16 9:28 p.m.

Looks are subjective but I find it better looking than the previous car. And better looking than any of the fourth Gen cars.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
3/16/16 10:33 p.m.

I Love it! It's stupefying! preposterous! Just wrong! The petrol era is ending in a supernova of heat smoke and low emissions!! And the new Prius has a double wishbone rear suspension! because it's faster that way!

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/16/16 10:38 p.m.

I'm surprised by the negativity in this thread. Jesus Christ have fun with your Prius threads fellas. No wonder the forum is slowing down.

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
3/17/16 3:03 a.m.

What's this over heating talk?

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/17/16 4:16 a.m.

I can't help but wonder what the Z/28 will be like.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/17/16 5:34 a.m.

I like how the 6th-gen looks, they definitely look much better in person than in photos. The 10-speed auto seems a tad ridiculous though. As power and torque increase, shouldn't the amount of needed ratios decrease? I hope that the ZL-1 doesn't have the cooling issues of the C7 Z06/Z07 and also can actually put the power down. So far the C7 doesn't have an amazing track record, just with Motor Trend alone: Lost to the older, heavier, less-powerful, less-grippy, less aerodynamic GT-R Nismo at the track, had an engine failure at Best Driver's Car 2015 and got royally beat down by the Viper ACR at Laguna Seca while being described as "unfinished" and "uncontrollable"

Still, if it keeps the fun quotient of the 5th-gen, I'll be okay with it. Drove a 5th-gen ZL-1 once and it was a riot. Between one of the meanest-sounding OEM exhausts and the fact that it was fast without trying (I'd be loafing along in 5th with the engine barely turning over, look down and see the HUD reading 80mph) it was an absolute blast to drive.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/17/16 6:10 a.m.

No hate here. I think it's awesome. 20 years ago I would have been all over that but it's just not for me anymore. Now a 250hp, 2200 lb, 50 mpg car I would be interested in. Ya I know that's impossible. Only a handful of cars get my attention me anymore. The Focus RS is one.

STM317
STM317 Reader
3/17/16 6:19 a.m.

In reply to yupididit:

http://www.tflcar.com/2015/09/2015-corvette-z06-overheating-issue-is-it-the-8-speed-transmissions-fault/

http://www.torquenews.com/106/corvette-boss-explains-why-c7-z06-struggled-motor-trend

There are tons of first hand anecdotes from ZO6 owners on various forums too.

Seems like it's a combo of limited airflow and the auto trans putting more stress on the engine. GM's official answer was to remove the front license plate frame and pretty much avoid the auto trans if you're planning extensive track time, even though they tout the fact that the auto trans nets faster lap times.

I'm guessing the Camaro engineers didn't want to push the cooling limits as much with the ZL1 where aero isn't quite as critical, so they can open up the front end quite a bit to increase air flow.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/17/16 6:27 a.m.
STM317 wrote: In reply to yupididit: http://www.tflcar.com/2015/09/2015-corvette-z06-overheating-issue-is-it-the-8-speed-transmissions-fault/ http://www.torquenews.com/106/corvette-boss-explains-why-c7-z06-struggled-motor-trend Numerous forum posts from owners as well

Don't forget the engines that randomly blow up in the first 500 miles. GM called all dealers and had us call back all LT4 cars change the oil after just 500 miles, because for some reason engines were blowing up. They wouldn't tell us why though

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/17/16 6:38 a.m.

Wait, is this on the new Camaro platform? From that pic it looks unchanged to me except the ruffles grill. I guess I need to see more pics. Pretty impressive Hp numbers and I agree this is some sort of golden age of performance....too bad it's not a golden age of styling.

STM317
STM317 Reader
3/17/16 6:46 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Wait, is this on the new Camaro platform? From that pic it looks unchanged to me except the ruffles grill. I guess I need to see more pics. Pretty impressive Hp numbers and I agree this is some sort of golden age of performance....too bad it's not a golden age of styling.

Yep. It's the new Alpha platform. The ZL1 is expected to be about 200lbs lighter than the last gen, with more power to boot.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/17/16 7:14 a.m.
Cotton wrote: I'm surprised by the negativity in this thread. Jesus Christ have fun with your Prius threads fellas. No wonder the forum is slowing down.

I'm surprised by the excitement. This doesn't even catch them up with the Mustang or Challenger.

JimS
JimS New Reader
3/17/16 8:55 a.m.

Where's all the negativity? All I see are people expressing their opinions. I guess since it's a Chevy we're all suppose to love it or we're haters rather than enthusiasts with opinions.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/17/16 9:23 a.m.

In reply to JimS:

Jim gets it.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/17/16 9:31 a.m.
Cotton wrote: I'm surprised by the negativity in this thread. Jesus Christ have fun with your Prius threads fellas. No wonder the forum is slowing down.

I'm not being negative about the car. The 6th-gen Camaro is a really nice piece, it's lighter, more powerful and smaller than the outgoing model, which was pretty capable in it's own right. I just question the LT4's reliability, which has been shown to be a little spotty, and the car's ability to put the power down.

All in all, though, it looks like a good time. When GM builds a bad car it's bad, but when GM gets their E36 M3 together and builds a good car, it's gooooood

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/17/16 10:06 a.m.

Some of you guys do complain an awful lot. Jesus guys get a hobby.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/17/16 10:17 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Yeah, quit your belly aching! As car guys you are required to like every new car that comes out, no matter what!

chriswadsworth
chriswadsworth New Reader
3/17/16 10:39 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin: Flyin Miata is putting 430hp E-rods that are 50 state legal and very similar end point performance to something like this into the first 3 Generations of Miatas for similar money to a Hellcat or GT-350 (maybe even a little less). While the Voodoo (or any other quad cam motor for that matter will not fit in these cars, a pushrod V8 like the LS3 or the Hemi will rest quite easily in a BRZ or any Miata. The forced induction and additional cooling are not necessary nor are a lot of the other things that add up to 3600lbs. The Habu Miatas that FM build end up around 2600lbs if I remember correctly, with 430HP and very similar balance and power to weight to the Camaro or Mustang. These little cars are not going to appeal to everyone just like big fast cars like say a Jag F type, Hellcat or new Camaro are not going to appeal to a everyone. Obviously the marketing departments at Benz, BMW, Jag and the big three have had better luck lately with big fast cars than Subaru and Toyota have with small cars as sales have shown. So I concede I am in the minority. And you are right Everything on a Force induced Camaro adds a ton of weight. It is just hard for me to think sporty and over 3500lbs. in the same thought. Having said that both the Z-28 and GT-350 have won a lot of people with my opinion over recently. Car makers build a lot of stuff because different people are trying to tick different boxes. Speaking of ticking boxes, it looks like you drive a Jeep and those definitely tick a lot of my required boxes

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
3/17/16 11:26 a.m.

It looks like a real life Hot Wheels car! 10 year old me would love it . Grown up me still thinks it's pretty cool even though I prefer the Fords because family bias.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TbOjKQsjvbgnWUPrMsjIjuxSr6T5ZcaFCXL7yWLEsHr6IrkvITefemZPtoOcP58e