1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/10/22 3:43 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Two different ground buses go through the DLC, chassis ground and sensor ground.

I wonder if your sensors ground circuit is faulty, and connecting something to the DLC connects it to chassis ground, allowing it to start.

Do you know where they are?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/10/22 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

Zero clue.  I am also assuming that the DLC is wired per standard.  Being German, they might have either gone rigidly to the standard, or they could have insisted their way was better and ignored the standard.

With the ignition on, I'd check for voltage between the two terminals in the center, on the "long side" of the connector.  A properly made dongle will have longer terminals here so ground contacts before any other terminal.  (Pin 16, bottom left in pic, is power, and should always be shorter than the rest, so power is applied last when connecting)

Anyway, if wired to spec, one of those is chassis ground and one is sensor ground, and there should be no voltage potential between them.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/10/22 5:02 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

No, he doesn't have a Durametric, we've talked about going in on one, since my car has a CEL that won't go away and standard scan tools don't give enough information. It runs perfectly, but I can certainly see where he's coming from with old German cars and their weird problems.

Completely aside, I have been looking to buy a Durametric Pro (unlimited VIN) for myself. Is that something that can be loaned out realistically? If so would you be interested in renting it?

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/10/22 6:09 p.m.
Javelin said:
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd avoid a 996/997 Targa like an invite to Satan's dinner party as entertainment. Parts are nearly unobtainaum for the roofs. Haven't you learned enough with your current Porsche?

I'd vote regular C5, plenty of room in the hatch for small dogs.

2008+ C6 (LS3 engine) is a nicer car if it fits the budget. 

370Z has room in the back.

Wait, wait, what? You rule out a 996 Targa for parts availability and then recommend a GM with horrendous parts availability?!? Try to find an ABS module for a C5...

I was only reffering to the targa top parts, not the rest of the car. Parts for regular soft tops is no problem.

I have heard a bit about the C5 ABS module, but don't know the whole story. Just take it out and skip the ABS?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/10/22 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

Take it out and skip the ABS renders the ESC inop, which lights up the dashboard and might mess with the gauges/odo IIRC. You also have to completely remove the ABS pump, master, etc to get the brakes to feel okay. It's not an insignificant issue. The 97-02ish are completely NLA so you have to convert to the 02-04 module and the core is $1250 if you can find one.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/11/22 9:25 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

E36 M3.  Outstanding car, great chassis, pity we were cheated on the engine.  

Jason Cammisa disagrees:

2/11/22 10:12 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

Zero clue.  I am also assuming that the DLC is wired per standard.  Being German, they might have either gone rigidly to the standard, or they could have insisted their way was better and ignored the standard.

With the ignition on, I'd check for voltage between the two terminals in the center, on the "long side" of the connector.  A properly made dongle will have longer terminals here so ground contacts before any other terminal.  (Pin 16, bottom left in pic, is power, and should always be shorter than the rest, so power is applied last when connecting)

Anyway, if wired to spec, one of those is chassis ground and one is sensor ground, and there should be no voltage potential between them.

Out of town right now but will certainly look into this when home and temperature, weather, and enthusiasm allow.  Was about to take it to a shop (not that easy finding one who can talk to later 90's Porsche's BTW), but I will go over everything in my thread again and try this first.

2/11/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Cammisa is awesome, but just like the C5, the E36 is simply too old to interest me as a part time DD.  If I'm reaching back to the 90's for a car in this price range my shopping probably starts at XJ-S and finishes at it's brother the DB-7.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D4IMoS3z9tPLEOEpnM8njbvjZZ4DxP8bdoIsZqOBk9BA1v480IpvV9eLP5AfQavj