1 2
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/16/11 8:11 p.m.

I'm on the road, so I'm pulling the Monday trigger early.

There's a new car review posted on the main page.
Which 271 horsepower, 6-speed sporty coupe is it? Click here to find out.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/20/11 9:13 a.m.

So, do y'all not care about new car reviews? There's been almost no traffic for this one, so I'm trying to figure out why.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
1/20/11 9:29 a.m.

Honestly? No. I do not care about new car reviews.

Writeups on modified old cars? Oh yes!

Sorry

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
1/20/11 9:38 a.m.

Honestly if I cared about the car in any I would read it but Accords and SUVs do nothing for me.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/20/11 9:45 a.m.

It's $32k for a decent looking appliance that weighs too much. I think that's going to be the viewpoint of a lot of people on this forum. The general readership may really like it for a daily driver, and pardon my non-PC ways here, perhaps it's something decent to put the wife in for her commute.

On my mentally kept list of cars that seem interesting, fun to drive, have some cachet to them et cetera, the two door Accord is right up there with V6 powered SN95 Mustangs or the Monte Carlo (any year produced post-1972).

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/20/11 9:50 a.m.

What pres said.

Looks like a pretty awesome car that I couldn't be less interested in.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/20/11 9:52 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Honestly? No. I do not care about new car reviews. Writeups on modified old cars? Oh yes! Sorry

No need to apologize, just checking the pulse of the community.

The ratio of cool cars to lame cars in the press pool is around 1:8, so it's tough to decide how important they are to our site users. If we could get on an "only send us the good stuff" rotation, we'd do it in a second.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/20/11 9:54 a.m.

The accord is something that i might be interested in in 10 years once it's come WAY down in price, so i don't hate the fact that it was reviewed.

Or, NOW i know to start watching for these in junkyards in a couple years to stuff the drivetrain into something it has no business being in.

(This drivetrain in an EK coupe?)

Vigo
Vigo Dork
1/20/11 9:54 a.m.

I would trade 7 v6 sn95 mustangs for that accord, and id be getting a steal.

I think interesting, fun to drive, and have some cachet all vaguely apply to 2dr v6 6spd accords. They've been fast and decent looking for most of a decade already and they're rarely seen (unless you cound 4cyl autos as being the same thing), and the styling is pretty good.

As for whether its worth the money to me, of course not. Halfway to paying off a starter house is a lot more attractive for that money.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/20/11 10:03 a.m.

Didn't see this. Then looked at it, and remembered Honda seats other than S2000's don't agree with my body.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/20/11 10:04 a.m.

If it's not worth the money to you then of course it'd have to be a steal.

I don't think cachet can apply to a car sold in those kinds of volumes. It's kind of like a Bosch stainless steel refrigerator; yeah, that would be nice to own and it should resemble an anvil in its reliability. But you're never going to dream about that fridge any more than you would about most Accords, coupe with six cylinders and 3800 pounds to tote around or not; your glasses aren't going to fog up at the memory of a fun drive in that sort of car.

Kind of like the SN95 Mustang with a V6. Yes, the Accord is "better" but it probably isn't any more "fun". And this forum is pretty heavily focused on one and not the other.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/20/11 10:25 a.m.

I guess my official stance on an article about an Accord is that I probably wouldn't read it if I was sitting in a Dr office waiting room. It might lose to an article on other appliances like dishwashers or stoves.

If the lead on that was "GRM Reviews the new Accord at Road Atlanta" then I'd read it because nobody else will write that one.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
1/20/11 10:50 a.m.

nice, looks like honda has dipped into the acura TL parts for the new accord. good that they're offering a manual, but will anyone be able to get one without special ordering it?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/20/11 11:00 a.m.
pres589 wrote: It's $32k for a decent looking appliance that weighs too much. I think that's going to be the viewpoint of a lot of people on this forum. The general readership may really like it for a daily driver, and pardon my non-PC ways here, perhaps it's something decent to put the wife in for her commute.

Ditto. Furthermore, there are a HELL OF A LOT of cars on the internet to read about, from projects to new cars that are significantly less boring than an Accord. Hard to justify spending four minutes reading about a ho-hum car that we could go drive on public roads ourselves at any local stealership if we really gave a damn. Take a car to the track, test drive cars that are hard to find for test drives, etc. and interest will increase. You guys know what is interesting, if it gets your blood pumping it will probably get our blood pumping too. Well, maybe except for Per and his modern minivans...

Bryce

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/20/11 11:13 a.m.

I had a last gen '07 Accord V-6 EX-L coupe. It was a great car, way better than anyone that has never driven one would think, but when I saw your post that you had an article on it, I have to admit my first thought was "Really? Why?". If it was on Autoblog I'd likely read it, but I guess it's not what I expect from GRM.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/20/11 11:37 a.m.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but it's something I'd expect to see in Car & Diver, Motor rag, Automobubble, or other such irreverent nonsense. A look at the name gracing your magazine cover should be clue enough. "Grassroots Motorsports- The Hardcore Sports Car Magazine". This is why I BUY and read. Otherwise, I'd get "Consumer Reports".

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
1/20/11 12:14 p.m.

The wifey just bought herself a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0TGDI. The Mazda 3 Sport 6-speed just wasn't her cup of tea. I gotta admit, I'm a little impressed. The Hyundai turbo 4 makes something like 270 HP, or 100 more than the much larger Mazda 2.5 liter, and gets better gas mileage. Out the door for $26k. Honda is still a good car, but like Toyota, they're sitting on their asses while the competition goes around 'em.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/20/11 12:17 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: The wifey just bought herself a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0TGDI. The Mazda 3 Sport 6-speed just wasn't her cup of tea. I gotta admit, I'm a little impressed. The Hyundai turbo 4 makes something like 270 HP, or 100 more than the much larger Mazda 2.5 liter, and gets better gas mileage. Out the door for $26k. Honda is still a good car, but like Toyota, they're sitting on their asses while the competition goes around 'em.

This. I'll be interested when you get your hands on the new Elantra and Accent.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/20/11 12:49 p.m.

I'll chime in on the new car reviews. First, don't worry, we're not going to start adding more new car reviews to the magazine. However, we do get to drive a lot of new cars and figured the web would be a good place to voice our opinions--and yours, too, since anyone can post a comment. These reviews are often seen by those who deliver the cars, too, meaning that your comments probably won't fall on deaf ears. (Even so, be polite--the industry views our readers as a nice group of people and I'd like to see that maintained.)

I'll say that there have been some surprises lately. For example, the Kia Soul, hardly a hardcore vehicle, impressed a lot of us. The same could be said for the latest Hyundai Sonata. Even if they're currently out of the budget, one day these could make some excellent used car buys.

And sometimes we do get to sample cars that are more our speed. For example, right now we have a Civic Si and Scion tC. Personally, it's been a while since I drove a tC. I'm eager to go for a spin.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/20/11 12:54 p.m.

Next week's review is the Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T. (Shhh, don't tell them I exposed this secret.)

Interesting that the Accord is considered an appliance with 271 hp and a six speed, but the closest match from Hyundai isn't available with a manual transmission. FWIW, I'd bet a nickel that the Accord would lap Road Atlanta as quickly as a Genesis Coupe. Just like the "toughest engine" thread, perceptions are tricky.

We appreciate the feedback; like I said we have little control over what arrives in the press pool, and if it's not something that our users care about we could probably redeploy our assets to something more fun or useful. (Not saying it WILL happen, but it could.)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
1/20/11 12:57 p.m.

I do want to chime in with a few words in support of the decision to include occasional new car reviews in the magazine. While our toys tend to be older vehicles, my wife and I do buy new from time to time. I always find it interesting to read an article written from a slightly different viewpoint than the typical mainstream automobile magazine. Please keep those excellent new car reviews coming!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/20/11 1:01 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: FWIW, I'd bet a nickel that the Accord would lap Road Atlanta as quickly as a Genesis Coupe. Just like the "toughest engine" thread, perceptions are tricky.

Future article? PLEASE?!?!?!?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/20/11 1:10 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Interesting that the Accord is considered an appliance with 271 hp and a six speed, but the closest match from Hyundai isn't available with a manual transmission. FWIW, I'd bet a nickel that the Accord would lap Road Atlanta as quickly as a Genesis Coupe.

Now you are talking. I'd read that because no one else takes the boring, pedestrian end of the press fleet to a race track for impromptu comparos.

It's only the loser of these kinds of things that pulls their advertising dollars !

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
1/20/11 1:45 p.m.

Did you guys write it? yeah, then I care. Even for boring cars, you typically review them in non boring ways. The Jeep SRT whatever rings a bell.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/20/11 2:14 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Tom Heath wrote: FWIW, I'd bet a nickel that the Accord would lap Road Atlanta as quickly as a Genesis Coupe. Just like the "toughest engine" thread, perceptions are tricky.
Future article? PLEASE?!?!?!?

Just as soon as we double our circulation, online advertising revenue, and staff. Oh, and my kids don't need me to pick them up after school.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
grVncBQ3KQ7mZVynD6HKeOMfVnpkUXRNQBE1A8uP1sel6cImHerMs64g6TRFXTkk