1 2 3
Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/14/17 3:50 p.m.

I like to wait until I see a car up close to pass judgment and I saw one up close yesterday- 4 door hatch base trim blue. I thought it was terrible. The base level has huge cheap looking black panels at the chin to fill the the area where more 'interestingly' shaped plastic/lights go on higher trim levels. Too much plastic generally at the corners and too much air in places where its not helping interior space. I think it purposefully disposable styling wise- very much pop and targeting consumers that they believe will be smitten with puffery and superficial creases.

It reminded me of a Buick from the 80's-90's; billowy with chrome bits which was supposed to denote "luxury". These Civic's are billowy to denote "value" with creases and plastic that are supposed to denote "excitement". Interestingly (to me anyway), the early 90s civics really are good looking little cars that relate much more closely to 2017 Buick's, which are handsome and clean designs.

The 2 door versions do look allot better and by all accounts they are good to drive.

I think the US and Europe are doing much better design work- even BMW where Bangle has been digested the last couple years although they have started introducing meaningless chrome around the edges...

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/14/17 8:17 p.m.
JoeTR6 wrote: I owned an M Coupe, so I understand that someone might like it. I also like Hondas. But something about the rear end makes me shiver.

There are people who don't like M Coupes? I'm pretty sure every person I know who likes cars, likes M Coupes!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/14/17 8:24 p.m.

I've seen a few around here. I think they look pretty good (all models) when seen directly from the side or a front 3/4 view. But boy....the rear ends of all of the models look hideous. I mean, I guess the driver never has to see that part, but weird lights, weird shape, pointless vents, etc.....

I grew up owning several Hondas/Acuras and had posters on my wall of Type R's. Honda used to really have a "smooth" style but the new civic looks like they just threw a bunch of "features" at a photo of a regular car and build them in where ever they landed. I'm not sure what the design language is, particularly.

All that said, the current Accord is one of the best-looking cars Honda has ever made under the "H" badge (behind maybe the last CRX and the euro-Accord/TSX from the late 2000s..)

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
4/14/17 10:00 p.m.

I've been seeing these for weeks and they are just horrible. There is something wrong with that flat grill (thank you European pedestrian standards), unforgivable in chrome, only sort of sucky in black.

Then this afternoon I saw a gunmetal sport hatchback with nice factory wheels and although I am not converted, it did not make me gag.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/14/17 10:55 p.m.
irish44j wrote: All that said, the current Accord is one of the best-looking cars Honda has ever made under the "H" badge (behind maybe the last CRX and the euro-Accord/TSX from the late 2000s..)

I see the same design DNA in them though, and I like them both. Sure one has a nice haircut and a slinky dress while the other has a mohawk and a leather jacket, but the bones and structure​ of beauty is there with both of them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GSA7S1SC2C7t2oIYt15ZrsuRHf9bWVSCXMeHEHJWbsSkcLU67GN9kwnJZ5ZMKogp