1 2
captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/11/21 5:18 p.m.

Should work as a link for those with Prime

I'm always amazed by those with the testicular fortitude to run something open wheeled up the hills. I know that most things that pierce laugh at sheet metal, but at least sheet metal provides some potential to deflect. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/11/21 7:24 p.m.
1/11/21 7:46 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks! 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/11/21 9:02 p.m.

Can someone please post the name of the show so I can search it on Hulu without using a link?

MrChaos
MrChaos UltraDork
1/11/21 9:20 p.m.
Rodan said:

Can someone please post the name of the show so I can search it on Hulu without using a link?

Chasing Giants by Mike Ancas

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell New Reader
1/12/21 7:51 a.m.

Cool.

Thanks for the link.

Wish there was a teaser clip, but I'll check it out on Prime.

*edit - there is a short teaser clip

Was unaware of the historic Giants Despair Hillclimb.

Pretty cool.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/12/21 7:59 a.m.

Thanks!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/12/21 8:04 a.m.

Keep your eyes on the "can we stop hotlinking photos" thread for more Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association pics from my archive. Below is Bruce Perry in 1971 at Giants Despair

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/21 8:29 a.m.

Awesome.  Tonights viewing is now schedualed!  

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
1/12/21 8:55 a.m.

I'll have to check it out.  Wished I could have run Giants with an appropriate power level.  The one year I ran it just felt like I was waiting on the finish line to appear forever with my foot to the floor.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/12/21 9:08 a.m.

FYI. Mike Ancas used to write for GRM many moons ago and is a gearhead just like us. He has done many project cars on a tiny budget and lives for motorsports.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/21 9:39 a.m.

The PA Hillclimb organization still runs at Giant's Despair.  Currently scheduled for July 10-11, 2021

I still don't understand why Chris doesn't run these since most of the events are maybe two hours from his house. I've seen more than a few rally cars run. devil

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/12/21 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Because the Merkur was always either not running, or entered in a rally and I didn't want to blow it up beforehand.  Maybe I can do some this year.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) HalfDork
1/12/21 10:16 a.m.

Oh Man - this is the *best* thing yet to come out of the end of my social media break!

1/12/21 10:42 a.m.

Just a warning, after viewing you'll be wishing that there was a $2,000 class that excluded safety equipment from the budget. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/12/21 11:47 a.m.

When I owned the supercharged GRM project Crx I ran it at several PHA hillclimbs, including Giants. It was insanely fun.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/21 12:05 p.m.

How about that guy who rolls a Neon in the opening scene huh? Probably a real moron. 

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
1/12/21 1:12 p.m.

I try and go to the Pagoda hill climb and the Duryea hill climb every year since they are 15 minutes from me. Had the chance one year to talk to and befriend a few racers. It's a good time. I just mapped the Giant Hill climb but 3 1/2 hours is a bit ti far to drag the family out. Maybe one year I'll check it out.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/12/21 1:15 p.m.

It's a wonderful film, have it on DVD

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) Dork
1/12/21 3:11 p.m.

I will have to check it out, I might be in it... I ran several PHA events about 9 or 10 years ago... memory about details fails me but they were all fun and it is a great group. Ill probably do some more in the near future.

My favorite pic of my grandfather, I think it is Duryea circa '56 in his MG TD(?) but not 100% on that:

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/12/21 3:40 p.m.

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

Yup, that's a TD. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/12/21 4:32 p.m.

I think this was my first stint at Duryea. The car is borrowed (locals may recognize it).

I then ran my Audi GT for a couple events.

I made the mistake of starting HPDE's after that and, well...hill climbs didn't have the same appeal anymore. Wouldn't mind trying it again though now that I've satisfied the track/road racing/putting a car on it's roof phase of my life.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/12/21 7:10 p.m.

Was looking forward to watching it tonight...my amazon prime said screw you ya beaver hat wearing canuck this is not for you. :(

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
1/12/21 7:30 p.m.

I'll watch it for sure.

I ran something similar out here, the Virginia City Hillclimb in Nevada (in an 1800-lb mid-engine car with ~430whp that I'm slightly afraid of). It's the first and only time I've run one on a public road and find myself thinking often about it since, mostly about all the stuff that could have gone really really wrong, like coming home in a box wrong.

It went fine, but I'll have to think long and hard about doing something like that again. Probably something to do with getting older.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
1/12/21 9:13 p.m.

Watched it and... frankly, the best part was the first couple's self-interview.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oRZsIgykzez23kkxVGHVJfU6pyzcOtdQfHX8cCIsF2qQFA0A04klwet5E8jv2PgI