1 2
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/29/22 2:18 p.m.
DavidH88 said:

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

I have a motorcycle helmet. I read somewhere that they accept those for now but in the future I will need to buy a new one rated for autocross. 

Welcome!!

I don't think M helmets are accepted anymore by most clubs (not 100 percent sure on this).  You should get confirmation from the group you plan on running with before you show up at the track.  

DavidH88
DavidH88 New Reader
12/2/22 2:40 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Thanks! I'll definitely call and verify before I go. 

DavidH88
DavidH88 New Reader
12/2/22 2:42 p.m.

Does anybody know if the 3 day type driving schools are any good? Ive seen a mustang GT one but the price is steep!

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
12/2/22 3:02 p.m.

FWIW our local club allows motorcycle helmets, it's definitely still a thing at least some places.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
12/2/22 4:18 p.m.

Welcome, DavidH88! Autocross is a terrific place to start. As far as track days go, Track Night in America allows motorcycle helmets, I know other track day organizations also allow those helmets, but best to check first.

Track Night in America is a good place to start (although terrible if you are a truly advanced driver, IMHO). Once you get some miles under your belt, you can expand your horizons.

I agree with everyone else with the advice to just use your Genesis for now.  Lot's of people will recommend the Miata for any kind of track duty, and I agree. You can't go wrong with one, and if you want a faster car, there are lots of remedies for getting more power. I was going to get a Miata and put a 3.0 V6 in it (there is a kit for that), but happened upon a bargain Boxster project car that was a ton of fun. There are many options!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/2/22 6:15 p.m.

The last time I went to buy a new helmet, SA was just about the same price as a Snell M rated helmet so I went with the SA for future proofing.

Note that it will still have to be Snell certified, not just DOT.  There are other certifications acceptable, check the rule book to be sure. (I am pretty sure that the SCCA revoked the ECE certifications allowance)

I was told that the main difference between Snell SA and Snell M is fire resistance, not much of a concern for automotive events if you are already allowed to run in street clothes and not fire rated gear.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1FIOv1mobiZdxHlOtqpnK7mmyY8WvehnGeG8WNhVsSluva05TpTjxebQILmQWBU1