Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/20/22 3:42 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/20/22 3:55 p.m.

Exhaust tuning of the musical kind. I anticipate many straight pipe setups that will bolt directly to that flange and save weight while adding terrible, terrible noises.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
6/21/22 9:04 a.m.

The new Raptor has a similar "O" pipe they put into the exhaust system to deepen the tone as people constantly complained the V6 turbo engine sounded like doo-doo.

First drive review: 2021 Ford F-150 Raptor gets new shocks, still awes

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/21/22 3:40 p.m.

Does this mean that the new Integra is starting to appear at dealerships ?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/21/22 3:42 p.m.

The Raptor O-pipe is probably to take the two exhaust frequencies out of phase with each other to eliminate (or exaggerate) a certain harmonic. Pretty clever stuff.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/21/22 4:03 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

Does this mean that the new Integra is starting to appear at dealerships ?

Yes indeed!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/21/22 4:04 p.m.

Is it an optical illusion or do both of the above pictures show the pipe having a slight reduction in diameter during the loop?  If it's actually there, is that likely part of the sound tuning?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/21/22 4:13 p.m.

Those won't be mandrel bent, so a loss in diameter is normal when bending.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/21/22 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The Integra seems to have it shortly after the joint between the first and second pice of pipe where it is straight.  The Raptor it could be due to mandrel bending, I'm seeing it at the joint at the top of the picture.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/21/22 4:44 p.m.

My theory on that joint is that the first pipe (from the exhaust gas point of view) is crimped down to fit into the second pipe, which then undergoes a contraction due to the bender. I think that's just simply manufacturing. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/21/22 4:48 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Sounds good to me.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
6/21/22 11:22 p.m.

I spotted a new Integra near Barber Motorsport park seemed to be a sold unit. Two weekends ago.

Sound engineering is an amazing part of the auto industry. From exhaust tone to how the infotainment beeps to door closing thunk and click of a cubby latch. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
6/21/22 11:25 p.m.

From a 2d photo it appears to me that the Integra exhaust is flattened into an oval cross section to aid in packaging and ground clearance or to adjust the tone. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
73N0vhulGcPVDJM5C8ReZGlSZtZBspSTCzu7ohdsxLDdDQyd92xVyTvsP1yIbPzq