1 2 3
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/3/10 8:40 a.m.

One of the most legendary cars from the rich pages of automotive history is al set to be reborn, as a prototype, that closely mirrors a modern day reinterpretation of the fearsome Lancia Stratos, has been caught testing in secret at Fiat's Balocco test track. When it was first shown as a radical prototype at the Turin Motor Show in 1970 the Stratos stunned and shocked onlookers in equal measure and the rallying exploits of the production version saw it go on to enter automotive folk law. The Stratos immediately won on its rally debut following homologation and it sealed world championship titles as the Ferrari-powered sports car embarked on a half decade long winning spree and it played a key role in building the modern-day reputation of Lancia that was won on the world's most important rally tracks. Now exactly four decades later the Stratos is set to be reborn, the original Bertone lines and thinking clearly visible and still the focal point of the project but now sharpened and updated to reflect the passage of time and the onset of a new generation of design language. All the emotive design cues that turned the Stratos into a genuine automotive icon can be clearly seen: the wheelarches cutting into the bonnet, the curved windshield and wrap-around side glass, the engine cover and features and the flip-up rear spoiler. The flush-fit new headlights are new reflecting the end of the era of pop-up units and the turn signal indicators are the latest fashion in LEDs. The two 'spy' photographs were taken at the Fiat Group test track at Balocco near Milan on June 21 when this prototype was undergoing secret testing. Very little is known about the ambitious project but Italiaspeed has learnt that it has in fact been privately funded by a European industrialist. The trademark sloping bonnet betrays a badge recess that is of a very similar shape to Lancia's traditional emblem meaning this new sports car could well be set to carry the famous marque's name once again, which will raise the hope of Lancisti across the world, as is the fact that it has been in test action at Balocco.

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2010/cars/lancia/07/stratos/0308.html

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
8/3/10 9:08 a.m.

uber cool.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
8/3/10 9:10 a.m.

Sweet.

stan
stan SuperDork
8/3/10 9:27 a.m.

The original was always one of my favorite cars. Should be interesting to see updates on this.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/3/10 9:30 a.m.

Perhaps the [relative] success of the Elise will bring some competition? One can only hope this car makes it to the U.S., given the Fiat ties. However, I'm guesing affordable it will not be.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/3/10 9:41 a.m.

Is it me, or does it seem like the "spy photos" suggest a car much larger than the original?

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
8/3/10 9:51 a.m.

I was thinking the same thing. But I still like it.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
8/3/10 9:55 a.m.

I watched the Top Gear episode last week about those. Neat cars.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
8/3/10 9:58 a.m.

Thank you lord (for maybe I could afford one in a decade or two )

In reply to oldsaw: Definitely, but the original was near claustrophobic inside with two people. As much as I want it to be near-as-small, I think that the new one is being built more for sales than rally homologation? Dunno. Anyway, I'm glad to hear about it either way.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/3/10 10:08 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Perhaps the [relative] success of the Elise will bring some competition? One can only hope this car makes it to the U.S., given the Fiat ties. However, I'm guesing affordable it will not be.

The Elise has been for sale since 1996. Glad to see Fiat's right on it, now that the first Elises are old enough to start high school.

I wouldn't expect a new Stratos to be cheap. They were never cheap.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/3/10 10:17 a.m.
Matt B wrote: Thank you lord (for maybe I could afford one in a decade or two ) In reply to oldsaw: Definitely, but the original was near claustrophobic inside with two people. As much as I want it to be near-as-small, I think that the new one is being built more for sales than rally homologation? Dunno. Anyway, I'm glad to hear about it either way.

Yep, the originals were tiny missiles.

As previously noted, the "new" Stratos seems inspired by the Elise, but the photos depict the car as much closer to the size of an Evora, maybe even bigger.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I sure do miss the days of small, lightweight cars unencumbered by nanny-systems.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/3/10 10:19 a.m.

In all honesty, I could see myself buying one. And thats saying a LOT about me buying a new car, of which I currently have no interest in any.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
8/3/10 10:41 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I sure do miss the days of small, lightweight cars unencumbered by nanny-systems.

No kidding. Hopefully they'll keep it relatively simple.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
8/3/10 10:41 a.m.

Darth Vader, your car is ready.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
8/3/10 10:54 a.m.

Finally! He can garage the scooter.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/3/10 11:00 a.m.
Keith wrote: The Elise has been for sale since 1996. Glad to see Fiat's right on it, now that the first Elises are old enough to start high school. I wouldn't expect a new Stratos to be cheap. They were never cheap.

I know that... I was referring to it's minor success the U.S. Thus creating a possible new market? But if the project is being underwritten by a Euro industrialist, you're probably right... Perhaps he thinks the car could be sold profitably and is willing to bank-roll the idea... or he just has money to burn and wants a new toy.

From watching the Top Gear episode (allowing that TG is rarely factually accurate), you get the impression that Lancia were sort of the Italian equivalent of Lotus: Long on good ideas, but forever short on cash to execute them.

As expensive as the original was, like most race-bred specials, I doubt they made any (and probably lost a lot of) money on the cars.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/3/10 11:04 a.m.

he might need to continue his crime wave to pay for the Stratos...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
8/3/10 11:58 a.m.

The original stratos makes me all tingly, but this one isn't doing much for me.

I think it's because the shape of the original was 100% functional, whereas this one is only shaped that way to aesthetically duplicate that.

Maybe I'm just sour-grapesing it out of the box because I know even if it does come stateside I'd never be able to afford one.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
8/3/10 12:01 p.m.

I'm in folk law too. Don't mess.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
8/3/10 12:23 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

OH MY YES

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
8/3/10 12:28 p.m.

That is lots bigger than a Stratos. They were 9 inches shorter than a VW Rabbit.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
8/3/10 12:31 p.m.

Meh, doesn't do anything for me.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/3/10 1:27 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I think it's because the shape of the original was 100% functional, whereas this one is only shaped that way to aesthetically duplicate that.

100% functional? It was a show car that got turned into a rally car! That's about as far as you can get from 100% functional.

TJ
TJ SuperDork
8/3/10 1:33 p.m.

Why does the new version have those 26" rear wheels? Looks like a penny racer to me.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
8/3/10 1:40 p.m.

hotlinked for truth

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uHD4iKBedWfm5XHJJgtdxCqIMhDddHMbUrVTLf3tYhFsoJvc7ExPOlcHnxbKGxMT