1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/7/13 5:44 p.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/07/mazda-clemson-collaborate-deep-orange-3-concept/

Three engines, re-configurable drivetrain including RWD/AWD, and that's a gorgeous design!

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/7/13 5:51 p.m.

WHOA. I swore off new cars... but goddamn!

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
8/7/13 5:54 p.m.

Nice

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/7/13 5:58 p.m.

I'm confused.

You guys say I need to be excited about that but my gut isn't.

I can see some nice lines in places, but it doesn't excite me at all. It also doesn't turn my stomach.

Bangle meets Furai?

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
8/7/13 6:02 p.m.

The rear corner view isn't too bad. The front is pretty atrocious though. It also looks like it's got about as much visibility out of the back and sides as a Camaro. Over all I'll give it a fail.

nocones
nocones Dork
8/7/13 6:04 p.m.

Not seeing the attractive at all in that. It looks strange to me and I like the looks of new cars and buy them.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
8/7/13 6:09 p.m.

I like the front view. I'm not so sure about the rear 3/4 view. It looks like the rear visibility is awful. But as a concept, I'm interested, Mazda, show me more!

alex
alex UberDork
8/7/13 6:18 p.m.

As a design exercise, it's certainly intriguing. The rear 3/4 where the belt line meets the tail lights reminds me of a semi-modern Alfa that I can't put my finger on.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/7/13 6:21 p.m.

Yeah, there's interesting bits and pieces but as a whole it's not working.

stroker
stroker Dork
8/7/13 6:41 p.m.

My back hurts thinking about getting in to and out of it...

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
8/7/13 6:42 p.m.

I like the whole thing.... Where's Fry and the "Take my money!" picture?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
8/7/13 7:00 p.m.

Where's the Orange?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
8/7/13 7:40 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Where's the Orange?

This.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
8/7/13 9:03 p.m.

Nice looking concept, but Mazda has a way of turning concepts into ugly real fast. Once you ad real headlights for the street the front end is blah. You won't be able to see out of the back or the sides. Tail lights will get ruined. It will sit much higher and the doors won't work without adding a fat B pillar or using suicide rear doors...which they won't, oh and parking lights/dirrectionals, side markers. It will end up horrific.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
8/8/13 1:31 a.m.

I don't like this slit light fad. obviously design is transitioning into a new era right now all new cars seem to be going to bodies that remind me of this. I don't hate it but i'm not a fan either.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
8/8/13 1:58 a.m.

nope.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
8/8/13 8:21 a.m.

http://jalopnik.com/could-the-infiniti-q30-be-the-next-integra-1065302602

look up jalopnik's infiiniti q30 image, looks just like this mazda lol.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/8/13 8:25 a.m.
kanaric wrote: I don't like this slit light fad. obviously design is transitioning into a new era right now all new cars seem to be going to bodies that remind me of this. I don't hate it but i'm not a fan either.

Yeah, a car looks odd when the useless styling doo-dads on the door are bigger than the headlights.

beans
beans HalfDork
8/8/13 11:39 a.m.

Looks like a terminator Corgi, a la car. Kinda 'blah' looking to be honest.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
8/8/13 12:08 p.m.

I think it's a cool looking car on the whole. It's not anywhere near as sexy as the Shinari concept referenced in the article, but that could be said for many cars, concept or otherwise.

I'm really underwhelmed by the greenhouse on the Deep Orange. I can't imagine trying to back it out of a parking space, particularly with a tall SUV or truck in the adjoining space. Nor could I imagine being able to effectively parallel park it.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/8/13 12:19 p.m.

Looks like the birthchild of an early 00's Cougar, RX-8, and a skateboard. Me no likey.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/8/13 1:00 p.m.

Not a fan. I'll give up style for an actual wagon with an actual greenhouse surround. This "let's see how small we can get all the windows" on so many new cars is annoying as hell.

Plus, this thing is ugly and the proportions look weird compared to the wheels/wheel wells.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/8/13 1:03 p.m.
irish44j wrote: This "let's see how small we can get all the windows" on so many new cars is annoying as hell.

safety standards = high belt lines = small windows

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/8/13 1:06 p.m.

You guys are all missing the impressive tech in the concept. Of course the styling is subjective! It has a gas motor up front and electrics in the back and can operate AWD like the Porsche 918. It seats 6!

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/8/13 6:33 p.m.

Daddy like.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9cJspkcsVnRWG7JHm0sohEaxWyUJ69603yvB6mIS6tuQUNdTgYJdOoSkwfcK0t3F