2 3 4
pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
6/8/20 6:51 a.m.

First Autocross of the year on Sunday.  It was a 2 day event at Mid-State airport in Phillipsburg PA.  We decided to just do Sunday and not Saturday.  Still ended up with 75 cars over 3 x heats, so it was a busy day.  Car ran fine - the heats were grouped by class so my wife and I had to run together.  It was another event where we would pull in, swap numbers, swap drivers and head back out again - we never even got a chance to shut the car off.  There were 6 CAM-T cars and we finished 5th and 6th frown

bonylad
bonylad Reader
6/8/20 7:29 a.m.

Beautiful car! I love the single exhaust setup! 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/8/20 9:00 p.m.

^I was told many years ago that on these cars (3rd and 4th Gen) the single muffler, straight through, one sided exit mufflers flow better than the ones that have one muffler but appear to be duals with exits on both sides since they expel gases more evenly.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
6/8/20 9:49 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

^I was told many years ago that on these cars (3rd and 4th Gen) the single muffler, straight through, one sided exit mufflers flow better than the ones that have one muffler but appear to be duals with exits on both sides since they expel gases more evenly.

On the track we open the manual exhaust cutout so the muffler is bypassed altogether.  It's tucked in just behind the rear axle on the passengers side - it was fitted by the original owner and looks like it came off an outdoor stove or old steam engine surprise

You can see it hanging down in this pic;

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/9/20 4:14 p.m.

Cutouts are fun! devil

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
6/30/20 12:34 p.m.

Third event of the year this past Sunday.  We both feel like we are (finally) starting to pick up some speed - sometimes at the expense of more missed cones and having to catch the rear of the car more often.   Have another event coming up on Sunday the 5th then a two day the following weekend.

We are also in desperate need of new tires as the 615K's are down to the wear indicators on the rear tires and not far behind on the fronts.  NT05's are showing some decent discounts at the moment, but I'll probably go with the Falkens again as they seem to be a good compromise for the price.

Social distancing smiley

My wife narrowly avoiding taking out the timing lights at the finish line;

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
7/16/20 7:08 a.m.

Still trying to squeeze in as many local events as we can.  Been running a lot with CPR SCCA at the Phillipsburg PA mid-state airport.  Sam Strano designed the course layout this past weekend - it was a fast and challenging course!

My wife having fun;

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
7/28/20 7:51 a.m.

Finally getting new tires fitted this week. I don't trust my local tire shops to put the Camaro on the lift without crushing the fender mounts so I'm going to drop the 17's and the new tires off to them. To do that I swapped the stock 16's back on to the car temporarily. First time I've had the stock wheels on it and I can't get used to the look;

I have the caps but they wont fit over the ARP studs.

Looking forward to trying the car out with new rubber - next Autocross is coming up on the 9th August.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
8/10/20 7:11 a.m.

Great event this past weekend - the new tires made the car much more enjoyable to drive and both my wife and I were able to do 6 runs each without a single cone down all day.  That's a first for us.  New Nitto NT05's;

The course was probably the fastest we've driven and it was a lot of fun with 3 x times through the same gate (big thanks to CPR SCCA);

Car is still running great - it never skipped a beat even though it was 85 degrees out, the runs were around 70 seconds long and we did 12 in total (6 runs each in the same heat).  Next event is a couple of weeks away - only plans are an oil change and replacement of the rear rotors and pads.  Shakey video of my wife's fastest run;

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
9/6/20 6:50 a.m.

Really bought this car with track days in mind - but that's been tough this year with all of the COVID related cancellations.  I have managed to book a track day on the full Summit circuit at Summit Point in WV on September 26th.

Fitted new rear pads and rotors this weekend - Tirerack had a great deal on a pair of Centric, plain (non-drilled, non-slotted) rotors and I just went with regular NAPA pads.  Planning to flush and replace the brake fluid before the HPDE day.  I've read that stock LT1 brakes can be a weakness, so I'll need to drive accordingly on the day...

Also managed to finally tackle a job that has been on my list since i bought the car. The rear muffler mount brackets on both sides had sagged slightly - enough that I could push the entire muffler up 1/2 inch by hand and enough that the over the axle pipe was resting lightly on the panhard bar mount. I removed both exhaust mounts and then 'tweaked' the brackets to move the muffler up and gain clearance between the pipe and the panhard mount.  Much better fit and clearance all around.

Have four more autocross events left this year - one before the Summit Point weekend.  Just need to try and not break anything....

landstuhltaylor
landstuhltaylor New Reader
9/11/20 7:17 a.m.

Those stock wheels would actually look pretty good with a 1/2"+ spacer

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
9/26/20 8:59 p.m.

HPDE day today at Summit Point on the main circuit.  Nice to wind the Camaro out versus Autocross.  Had a blast!  Definitely one of the oldest cars out there today, but it held it's own and never skipped a beat.

We did instruction via the lead/follow method - our instructor was driving a BMW 335d, then there was my car, then a new Tesla (great mix of fuels and old/new technologies).  I knew the Tesla would be quick, but I was surprised at how fast the 335d was.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
10/29/20 1:32 p.m.

And sadly - now up for sale;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293799215901

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/29/20 10:19 p.m.

In reply to pontiacstogo :

Man....  if I hadn't just agreed to buy an Impreza to rallyX I'd be all over this car.  Seriously I troll cargurus, autotempest and other sites looking for a nice 1LE.  What's the reason for selling?

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
10/31/20 10:01 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to pontiacstogo :

Man....  if I hadn't just agreed to buy an Impreza to rallyX I'd be all over this car.  Seriously I troll cargurus, autotempest and other sites looking for a nice 1LE.  What's the reason for selling?

My wife and I are relocating to NZ.  As much as we would like to take the Camaro with us, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to do so.  I've got my T/A on eBay as well.  It will be a sad day for me when they disappear down the road with their new owners.

10/31/20 10:24 p.m.

I'm flabergasted this thing hasn't budged on ebay.  It's just too nice and too cool and should be enjoyed by someone.  If I had a 5th car again though my wife would disown me or I might hurt myself.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
11/1/20 8:44 a.m.

I'm flabergasted this thing hasn't budged on ebay.  It's just too nice and too cool and should be enjoyed by someone.  If I had a 5th car again though my wife would disown me or I might hurt myself.

Me too - maybe BaT would have been a better venue for it?  The T/A by comparison has 4 x times the watchers and 23 bids. 

11/1/20 2:45 p.m.

If it stays this low I will be forced to bid....  and get the wife onboard afterwards.

I showed the wife and she didn't cringe or get angry.  She did ask hiw much.  I guess buying new furniture is paying off.

11/9/20 2:37 p.m.

Did this really incredible project car go to a new home yet?

11/13/20 9:38 p.m.

It was a pleasure talking to you today.  I'm sure the next owner will have much fun behind the wheel.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
11/15/20 8:19 a.m.

It was a pleasure talking to you today.  I'm sure the next owner will have much fun behind the wheel.

yes

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
1/29/21 12:33 p.m.

Closing the loop on this one.  Drove the car a short distance in the snow to meet the transporter today;

Car is headed for Santa Monica and is going to be used for track days.  I'm happy it's going to someone that is going to use it for it's intended purpose, but I'm sad to see it go.  Bang for the buck, this is one is going be hard to replicate - my wife and I had a ton of fun with it.

TimM
TimM New Reader
1/30/21 4:04 a.m.

I miss the days of roll up windows...and cool options!

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UloVXY3nHPPDI6lfvO0F7ZdDUDtWnWY5CKlLHmTTHakBbazx3akjDuU63jR9gkCy